GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,627
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, pdmonroe
» Online Users: 1,190
0 members and 1,190 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
Thanks! The groundbreaking for the Omega Psi Phi house at the USC Greek Village is July 8, 2005 @ 9:00am.

"Que Psi Phi 'til the day I die!"
YEAH ZETA SQUARE!!!! I met some of the guys from Carolina last night and they are very cool! They invited me to one of their events Thursday and this may give me another reason to visit Columbia this week!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's our cute little Tri-Delt house at the University of Kentucky. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the inside of the house, which is stunning. Sorry if the picture is ginormous, I couldn't figure out how to scale it down.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The following is a link to a pic and description of the Omega Psi Phi house in Detroit, which is on the historical register in Michigan:

http://www.michmarkers.com/startup.a...page=L0485.htm

Yaaay!! I know this house! This is my father's chapter house, Nu Omega of Omega Psi Phi!! He and my uncle have been active here for years!!

enigma_AKA
Old 07-05-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
Here's our cute little Tri-Delt house at the University of Kentucky. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the inside of the house, which is stunning. Sorry if the picture is ginormous, I couldn't figure out how to scale it down.
Still one of my favorite houses at UK. However, as I recall, it was difficult to serenade y'all due to the landscaping.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTKKG
That's great! Is there a rendering that you could post? When do y'all expect to begin building and occupy the house? Good luck!!
I haven't seen a rendering of the Omega house, and I'm not sure about the actual construction timetable. When I get more info, I'll post it. Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2005, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Amongst BGLOs most "fraternity houses" are owned by graduate chapters. Many, in fact, function more like community/social service centers and/or meeting/reception/party facilities. My graduate chapter has recently purchased some prime real estate and is planning to build a facility (this is a contentious issue--we had to have a Town Hall meeting to tackle this and other pressing issues).

The following links give two examles of such "houses from my fraternity,which I am most familiar with.

(Are there many examples of this phenomenon amongst the "historically white" groups? (I use this term in a non-pejorative sense, it's simple descriptive!) I do know that the DKEs have (had?) a club in the Yale Club in the Big Apple.)

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/upsilono...egacenter.html

http://www.zetaphi.com/page7.html

Old 07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Many, in fact, function more like community/social service centers and/or meeting/reception/party facilities.
I've often thought it would be great to have such a thing for the chartered alumni chapter I'm working on putting together.

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845
Old 07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally posted by brendantke
Cornell has a lot of great houses. Ours pales in comparison to some of them, especially the ones on West that seem to blend in with the surrounding architecture.
The Delta Delta Delta house was always a favorite of mine..

As well as Delta Phi...

Phi Sigma Kappa too...oh those porches

The only house I was ever in was Fiji...beautiful.

Last edited by ZTAMich; 07-05-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I haven't seen a rendering of the Omega house, and I'm not sure about the actual construction timetable. When I get more info, I'll post it. Thanks again!

I saw the rendering of the Omega Psi Phi house this afternoon! They have a sign on the lot. Wish I had a pic to post. It looks great. Best wishes during construction!!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

What is Delta Phi at Cornell?
Silver
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean, "What is Delta Phi at Cornell?"
Delta Phi is alternatively known as St Elmo.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver
What is Delta Phi at Cornell?
Silver
Hi Silver, AFAIK, "Delta Phi at Cornell" is the Pi chapter (dating to 1891) of the Delta Phi fraternity (founded in 1827). They have some pics of the interior of their house on their web site,

http://www.deltaphi.org/cornell/index.cfm
Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Hi Silver, AFAIK, "Delta Phi at Cornell" is the Pi chapter (dating to 1891) of the Delta Phi fraternity (founded in 1827). They have some pics of the interior of their house on their web site,

http://www.deltaphi.org/cornell/index.cfm
And Delta Phi is the third oldest social fraternity - one of "Union Triad" - in continuous existence.

History of Fraternities

Quote:
In the Beginning

Kappa Alpha Society is the oldest brotherhood of a social and literary character that has had a continuous existence in American colleges. Founded at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., on Nov. 26, 1825, it is recognized as the forerunner of the present system of American college fraternities. It has chartered 12 chapters.

Sigma Phi, founded at the same institution in the spring of 1827, and the second oldest fraternity, was the first to establish a branch chapter at another college. It, too, has severely restricted expansion, having granted but 14 charters in its history.

Delta Phi, established in 1827, has chartered 24 chapters.

The Big Three

Known as “The Union Triad,” Kappa Alpha [Society], Sigma Phi and Delta Phi soon faced faculty opposition. Delta Phi took up the defense of fraternities and member John Jay Hyde of the class of 1834 represented them. Hyde stated the aims and objectives of fraternities so well that he convinced them of the benefits of continuing the fraternity system.

These three Eastern societies became the model for the American college fraternity system, and imitation of them or splintering away from them accounts for the establishment of nearly all Greek-letter organizations.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Do the sororities at the university of tennesse have houses? the frat houses are nice! esp. phi sigma kappa and sigma chi!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Do the sororities at the university of tennesse have houses? the frat houses are nice! esp. phi sigma kappa and sigma chi!
No they don't.