GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,533
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agregoradarky21
» Online Users: 1,580
0 members and 1,580 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF GOING OF JOING A NATIONAL COUNCIL

I AM ASKING BECAUSE I HAVE NOTCED A LOT OF LOCALS GOING NATIONAL I WANT TO KNOW WHAT BENIFIT DOES A SMALLER SORORITY HAVE FROM CHANGING FROM BEING LOCAL BECAUSE I WANT MY SISTERS TO HAVE THE BEST BENIFITS
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
First of all, take off CAPS LOCK. It's rude and considered shouting.

The benefits of joining a national organization are many, whether it be an oversight council like the NPC or just a national sorority.

You get a lot of support and assistance with things like recruitment, chapter management, etc.
You can often purchase group insurance policies, etc.
You get faster recognition and respect from campus administration

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Being part of a National or International organization has many benefits! You get the support of a well-established organization. You have the privilege of carrying on traditions that are celebrated around the country or even the world. In Beta Sigma Phi, I enjoy the benefit of being able to transfer to a different chapter if I move (we're non-collegiate). An Inter/National organization is great because the protocols for successful operation have been tested over time.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think insurance is a huge one since a lot of campuses are requiring that the organizations have insurance policies. I've heard of a couple of campuses that were forcing locals to have insurance or not exist. Additionally, I love the fact that I have sisters nationally and when I travel, I can go and see them.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
First of all, take off CAPS LOCK. It's rude and considered shouting.

The benefits of joining a national organization are many, whether it be an oversight council like the NPC or just a national sorority.

You get a lot of support and assistance with things like recruitment, chapter management, etc.
You can often purchase group insurance policies, etc.
You get faster recognition and respect from campus administration
As Barb said, the benefits are much bigger with a National named organization.

Schools in this day and age feel more comfoortable knowing tha Nationals will have a better control of chapters when it comes to hazing, having insurance and control and advice.

Having a network of fellow members is becoming a bigger plus everyday.

Also, it is nice to see members from other chapters when traveling.

In starting a local, I never have had any second thoughts about affiliating with My National, LXA.

Just weigh the differences and see what you come up with. Small frog in a pond or a small frog with a bigger pond in front of you and your members.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumni support is often hard to come by with groups that are local. I know this isn't always the case, but it is more often than not.
A national board gives accountability that is not always provided in a local - locals have more liquid rules, whereas the nationals that I am most acquainted with have more steadfast policies that are more difficult to change.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiBeteDean Send a message via Yahoo to PhiBeteDean
A few main points to joining an national council

Hello, first let me start by introducing myself my name is Meiko Harris I am a member of Phi Beta Psi Sorority Inc. Alpha Gamma Chapter but I am also the National Executive Director of the National American Greek Council(NAGC).

We are comprised of several greek-letter orgs and our purpose is to help your organization prosper. We all have our lives ,responsibilites other than our greek life. Sometimes that may draw us away or you can't give your full attention to an issue, such as researching about the campus politics of a school you are trying to expand to, creating rush & promo materials, looking for the best prices on para, looking for places that take small orders for para,investigating on rogue members that may be trying to cause your org trouble , helping to organize the expansion process. Helping to get together all the necessary paperwork, talking to administration on your behalf as a national presence, helping you find the right insurance plans,help planning conferences, conflict resolution(internal or external),issuing payment invoices, or just having people to talk to and bounce ideas from, these are sone of the definate benefits of joining a national council. so if you or anybody reading this is interest in joining a national council please contact the NAGC.
nationalamericangreekcouncil@yahoo.com
and visit our website: www.nationalagc.r8.org

So I hope this answer some of your questions!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
  • Traditions are hard to pass on because there are no set rules on certain things so if you DIDN'T do one thing with a new member class, they assume that's the way it is and the tradition pretty much dies out.
But as a local, you get the luxury of creating your own traditions. While most individual chapters of a national have different traditions, they do have a lot of very old traditions. As a member of a local, we're constantly building traditions. We have a written Associate Member Education process (aka pledging) which we follow closely. We continue to tweak our AME process and add to it to improve upon what has been established by our previous members. The majority of locals are young, and are still trying to improve themselves. As times change, so does our sisterhood and our policies, procedures and traditions.

Quote:
  • A lot of times it's hard to compete with nationals for women during formal recruitment. One of the top reasons girls go through is for networking options for their future and a local can't exactly give them that.
Networking as a great perk, but being involved on campus, and having excellent academics is what matters. It would be silly to join a GLO because of networking and networking alone. It is also silly to think that National GLO's are the only ones that can help with networking. It just makes your network larger, not necessarily better.

Quote:
  • If one person doesn't do work, the worst you have is the rest of the chapter saying "Don't do that" and sometimes that isn't enough.
Not true at all. Local organizations can't just not care, because that jeopardizes the longevity of the chapter. We may not have regional directors and National Headquarters to fine us and whatever is done by nationals...we have the existene of our entire sisterhood/brotherhood on the line when our chapter members aren't doing the work. So when one person doesn't do the work, it's a "Please get your work done...without our hard work we won't exist...then you've wasted our time" kinda thing.

Quote:
  • A lot of locals are "4 years," not "for life." When the chapter members see that, some don't tend to take it seriously and it hurts chapter morale.
Generalization....yet mostly true in newer locals, because they don't have a strong alumni/ae base yet. We didn't start to get an active alum association until the last few years because there are more members with established careers and families and time to devote than when you graduate and are looking for a job, planning a wedding, and having kids. and this is the case with ANY alumni/ae organization. Those who tend to give back are the older ones.

Quote:
  • It's a LOT harder to get stuff for your sorority (picture frames, etc...) and a lot of it has to be custom-ordered/bought in bulk through the chapter.
again...not true. We just have to be a bit more creative in how we get picture frames, etc... we make them. and we don't have to pay for shipping and they are usually cheaper and we love the time and effort our big sisters have put into them. My chapter uses making things with letters as a sisterhood event where we can bond and share memories.

Quote:
  • It's hard to gain alumnae support because there is no set alumnae group.
Again a generalization.

I'm not saying I'm against Nationals at all....I just joined my sorority for the sisterhood, not the letters or national affiliation.

Last edited by SigmaPezY60; 03-19-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

That was very well put. I'm in a regional sorority which recently expanded so we're still a bit small. I joined because my sisters and I clicked, not for anything else. It's nice to hear someone defending locals!