GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,531
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Deltatau77
» Online Users: 1,711
2 members and 1,709 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

The growth of radical Islam

Do you believe there is a growth?

Is your belief really the truth?

What can be done about it?

-Rudey
--I created this thread for people like _Opi_ who want to talk about it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Actually I don't want to talk about it. But nice try anyway
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by _Opi_
Actually I don't want to talk about it. But nice try anyway
Do you believe that radical Islam has not grown?

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I don't. I just think the media is more intensed about it. Is there evidence that is growing? Haven't seen it. South East Asia, it's waning. It was cool for a while, then the ideology just quitely faded away. The JI is on the run and has very little support. And I would have SEA as a good garner of whether or not radical Islam is growing. There are more Muslim in Indonesia and Malaysia then the entire Middle East combine. Plus, arguably the largest civil Islamic organization hail from Indonesia, the NU. They claim up to 30 million members. With Muhammadiyah claiming around 18 million.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
I don't. I just think the media is more intensed about it. Is there evidence that is growing? Haven't seen it. South East Asia, it's waning. It was cool for a while, then the ideology just quitely faded away. The JI is on the run and has very little support. And I would have SEA as a good garner of whether or not radical Islam is growing. There are more Muslim in Indonesia and Malaysia then the entire Middle East combine. Plus, arguably the largest civil Islamic organization hail from Indonesia, the NU. They claim up to 30 million members. With Muhammadiyah claiming around 18 million.
Is it growing/has it grown within the Western hemisphere and the Arab world?

Perhaps we should look into the majority of the funding for Islamic research. Arya would you happen to know which country it comes from?

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Is it growing/has it grown within the Western hemisphere and the Arab world?

Perhaps we should look into the majority of the funding for Islamic research. Arya would you happen to know which country it comes from?

-Rudey
Saudi Arabia. I don't know much about the Arab world, so I'm not going to comment. However, you've asked about the generality of the raise of radical Islam. I've used SEA because it has the highest concetration of Muslim anywhere in the world. Another evidence we can use is the voting behaviour of the region.

In both Malaysia and indonesia, the conservatiove Muslim parties has not gained any grounds and even lost seats. In Malaysia, PAS has lot badly because they ran the Islamic state platform. They have even lost the province that they held due to the same reasons.

Indonesia saw many of the right wing Islamic parties loosing support with the exception of PKS. PKS, however, did not run with an islamic platform. Instead, they ran under the anti-corruption platform.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
NickLc24

It has grown since the 1970-1990 era.

Has it grown since 1990? Possibly. Is the media paying more attention to the issue now than in 1980 or 1990? Yup. Do radicals worldwide feed off the media? Yup.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Saudi Arabia. I don't know much about the Arab world, so I'm not going to comment. However, you've asked about the generality of the raise of radical Islam. I've used SEA because it has the highest concetration of Muslim anywhere in the world. Another evidence we can use is the voting behaviour of the region.

In both Malaysia and indonesia, the conservatiove Muslim parties has not gained any grounds and even lost seats. In Malaysia, PAS has lot badly because they ran the Islamic state platform. They have even lost the province that they held due to the same reasons.

Indonesia saw many of the right wing Islamic parties loosing support with the exception of PKS. PKS, however, did not run with an islamic platform. Instead, they ran under the anti-corruption platform.
In South East Asia: I don't know enough about the 2 countries, but wasn't there just a bit of ethnic strife between Muslims and non-Muslims?

And, has Islam itself expanded much in those countries or has it grown just a tad while radical Islam in the west boomed?

In Arab countries and Europe: Now going back to Saudi Arabia. They are the largest sponsor of Islamic research and education and have often cut funding from those that don't believe in the version of Islam they believe. Islamic institutions throughout the world have changed because of the influx of capital from them.

Now you might not know about Arab countries, and I might know less about South East Asian Muslims, but the West is somewhere we both can find middle ground in terms of knowledge I'm sure. Has radical Islam increased in the West?

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Afraid I don't know much about the western Islamic community either. I can tell you that sub-sahara Islamic community hasn't seen a growth in radical Islam.

For ethnic tensions, the media did a pretty bad coverage of what happen. It has more to do with tribalism then religion. Then, you mix politic and corruption, bang. Disaster awaits for all that happen to be caught in the middle of it. Islam has pretty much stabilized in both country. Approximately 88% of over 230 million Indonesians are Muslim. Of the 23 million Malaysians, I would say around 60% of them are Muslims.

In both cases, Saudi Arabia has tried hard to fund their version of islam in both countries. I would say that they succeeded somewhat, however, the success has all but dissapear. As I've said, the NU and Muhammadiyah has done a great job countering the Wahabi influence.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Afraid I don't know much about the western Islamic community either. I can tell you that sub-sahara Islamic community hasn't seen a growth in radical Islam.

For ethnic tensions, the media did a pretty bad coverage of what happen. It has more to do with tribalism then religion. Then, you mix politic and corruption, bang. Disaster awaits for all that happen to be caught in the middle of it. Islam has pretty much stabilized in both country. Approximately 88% of over 230 million Indonesians are Muslim. Of the 23 million Malaysians, I would say around 60% of them are Muslims.

In both cases, Saudi Arabia has tried hard to fund their version of islam in both countries. I would say that they succeeded somewhat, however, the success has all but dissapear. As I've said, the NU and Muhammadiyah has done a great job countering the Wahabi influence.
http://islamlib.com/en/page.php?page=article&id=425

Here's an interesting website and article. I don't have time to delve into the influence of Saudi Arabia or growth of radical Islam, let alone any type of Islam for a bit. I am stuck actually working blah.

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I've actually read that article. As noted, it was 2 years ago. At that time, feeling was high and the different right wing extremist where pretty much given a free hand by the government. This is because Megawati feared of isolating the people. In another word, it was politicall decision. The the Bali bombing happen, then approximately a week later, the hilton bombing. Due to these two incidents, many started to call for a crack down on the different organizations that were blatantly violating the law. The pressure was intense and the Laskar Jihad disbanded after feeling the pressure. Even within the radicals, many voiced the disapproval of the bombing and started to walk away from the organizations.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom's Ph.D is in Islamic studies. I will ask her and report back. I'm not really not sure what you mean by 'radical' Islam.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've actually read that article. As noted, it was 2 years ago. At that time, feeling was high and the different right wing extremist where pretty much given a free hand by the government. This is because Megawati feared of isolating the people. In another word, it was politicall decision. The the Bali bombing happen, then approximately a week later, the hilton bombing. Due to these two incidents, many started to call for a crack down on the different organizations that were blatantly violating the law. The pressure was intense and the Laskar Jihad disbanded after feeling the pressure. Even within the radicals, many voiced the disapproval of the bombing and started to walk away from the organizations.
Also in regards to the Western hemisphere, there is always the issue of France which countered the growth and influence of radical Islam this year through a ban on religious items.

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that radical Islamic fundamentalism is growing, and I believe the growth sped up as a result of the American Christian Fundamentalists like Bush and Ashcroft using the federal government to attack areas of the world concentrated with Muslims.

(Which goes back to my stance that there would be a hell of a lot less war and violence in the past and present if Abraham had just kept it in his pants)
Old 07-27-2004, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStatePhiPsi
I believe that radical Islamic fundamentalism is growing, and I believe the growth sped up as a result of the American Christian Fundamentalists like Bush and Ashcroft using the federal government to attack areas of the world concentrated with Muslims.
great observation.