GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,498
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, banntpetrova532
» Online Users: 1,897
0 members and 1,897 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2001, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
Hi bubbles,

I can't speak for the other NPC sororities, but an Alpha Gamma Delta legacy can be a sister, daughter, STEPDAUGHTER!, or granddaughter of an initiated AGD.

In my chapter a cousin of one of the sisters was initiated, and though cousin status isn't officially recognized as a legacy, we still thought that it was really special to see one of her family members be initiated into our sisterhood!

We've had issues with cousins in the past. And twice now we've accepted them...but we didn't look upon them as legacy, just very special consideration.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that Chi-O doesn't consider aunts to be legacies, but I do know that you can get permission from nationals to wear your aunt's pin as a legacy pin. It depends on the case.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Does anyone know anymore legacy rules? My aunts (Zeta Tau Alpha & AOPi) - thought that I would be a legacy due to my relationship with them - is that true?

Old 04-16-2001, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Direct legacies are considered to be the daughter, sister or grandaughter of an initiated sorority member. A few years ago in DZ, the rules were changed to include step-daughters, step-sisters and step-grandaughters.

Aunts, cousins, and other family members who are DZ sisters can write recs for their family members going through Rush, and the women will be given special consideration, but they are not considered legacies.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Same with Zeta Tau Alpha. You are considered a direct legacy when your mother, sister, or grandmother was or is a Zeta. The sheets that we receive before rush that has the information of all the rushees on it does, however, have on it if the rushee has a cousin or an aunt in a sorority and lists the sorority on it. Even though cousins and aunts are not considered direct legacies in Zeta, the rushee who has any kind of legacy of Zeta in their family is looked upon very highly. I think any legacy of any sorority, whether it be your mother or your cousin who was in a sorority, should be looked highly upon.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zete_boy
Smile

Hey, we had an interesting legacy, when i was a pledge in 1998 i had a guy as a pledge brother, but he moved away during his pledge period, and when he came home a year later, we put him through, the cool thing was when he came back his younger brother was in university as well, so he brought him out and they were initiated together, a legacy in the same class, anyone have a similar story, i find it really cool, i can see twins doing this, but not younger and older brothers two or three years apart being initiated together

------------------
Edgar A. Hartling
Zulu and Constitution Contact
Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America - Alpha Mu Chapter
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Old 04-17-2001, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I'm a GDI triple legacy!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I know with D Phi E, only sisters, daughters or granddaughters are truly legacies. Aunts, cousins and such are not. Although we've been known to take a special look at that.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
AOII's official legacy policy is that a legacy is a biological or adopted daughter, granddaughter, or sister of an initiated member alive or deceased, of any chartered AOII chapter. Half-sisters or step relations are also included if the relation to the AOII member has been a close one.

Unofficially, it would depend on the chapter and how they look at other relationships. I think that some special consideration would be given to nieces and cousins.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by ISU_XO:
Does anyone know anymore legacy rules? My aunts (Zeta Tau Alpha & AOPi) - thought that I would be a legacy due to my relationship with them - is that true?

Old 07-12-2003, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Like mom like daughter - proud DG legacy here. I wear my mom's pin and she's the one that put it on my at initiation.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
I'm just a legacy to Sigma Chi, but on an interesting side note, my great-grandfather was the first Pi Kappa Alpha to play Major League Baseball!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
We've had issues with cousins in the past. And twice now we've accepted them...but we didn't look upon them as legacy, just very special consideration.
I'm not positive if that's still our official stance, but it has been for years (in Alpha Delta Pi). Same with aunts, etc.

I'm a direct Kappa Kappa Gamma legacy. My mama let it slip the other day that she had steered me ONLY to schools that had KKG!! She tried her best!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
I'm the only greek in my family, heck I'm the only one that went to college, so I'm not a legacy.

Alpha Phi I believe, only considers mothers, daughters, sisters, and grandmothers to be legacies. We had a girl in the fall who's cousin was a part of our chapter, but was alumni, but we didn't look at her as a legacy either, we didn't even give her special consideration. We gave her a bid because she was a kick ass person and we knew she'd be a great sister.

Just a little legacy story. I pledged with this girl Amanda, who's grandmother was an Alpha Phi at Auburn WAY back in the day. Well her gram was in the hospital, she couldn't speak or anything like that. She got so excited when Amanda told her she was going Alpha Phi. So when Amanda finally got in, she went to see her grandmother and she had her jacket on, and her grama gave her our secret handshake and Amanda responded and her grama just cried, she was so proud and happy. It was such a great story! Mushy but great
Old 07-13-2003, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaunaF01

Just a little legacy story. I pledged with this girl Amanda, who's grandmother was an Alpha Phi at Auburn WAY back in the day.
Wow, I didn't know Auburn ever had Alpha Phi!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
that's because i'm retarded and it was at Washburn, my bad :-/