GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 2,092
1 members and 2,091 guests
Jerryhak

Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildcatsKSU
I see what ya'll are saying here but I do believe everyone misunderstood what she said. She is simply trying to say that PNMs (or anyone for that matter) should wear clothes that are flattering on their body type. Size doesnt matter in my opinion but if i were to see say a size 4 girl stuffed into a size 00 pants I wouldn't know what size she is wearing, however I would know that the pants are obviously too small.

Well ladies take care
Thats EXACTLY what I meant! Thanks for understanding
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
One huge advice: If you are thinking about rushing in the fall of 2006 and if you will be a first semester freshman (and will attend a southern school), DO IT! I know that you need to adjust to life on campus, but not rushing in your freshman year will come back to haunt you.

Also, on a post there was someone's parent that got mad at her for joining a sorority becasue of the activites being late at night. You women are adults (or almost adults). It's time that you make your own decisions. If you make your mom and dad happy by not joining, you will make yourself unhappy, and you could blame your parents later on.

You guys brought up a point about weight issues. I think that a heavy girl would have her ego crushed not only if she was cut because of her weight, but also by the number of times to got through rush because of her weight. When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that.

If a plus sized girl have it in her heart to rush, let her do it. I think it's the good Lord who put it in her heart. And remember, it's what's on the inside that counts. Just because a girl is say, obese doesn't mean that she has a bad personality. She may have good personality.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Daaaaaang this is gonna come off like I'm a real big bitch...

But maybe some of y'all should wait until you've actually rushed successfully to be doling out the advice
Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie

But maybe some of y'all should wait until you've actually rushed successfully to be doling out the advice
I would like to marry you right about now.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:

PRO-FUN!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

And I have to clean off the monitor again!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
I didn't have a successful rush, but I giving advice based on my experience (i.e. didn't take advantage of rushing in my freshman year) and based on what y'all said. I've learned so much from you guys.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that.
WTF?

But yeah, I agree with what has been said- if you haven't successfully rushed, on multiple occasions, you're not really in a position to give advice. Especially when some of your advice is really messed up

Last edited by kddani; 01-10-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I kind of saw it as, “Learn from other people’s mistakes. Life is too short to make them all yourself.”

Seriously though, some people’s hearts may be in the right place but the reasoning is throwed to the left.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I assure you you ARE.

Well, I don't know what to say to that. Except, I'm sorry that you feel that I am a [insert expletive], I did not mean to offend anyone here.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Southern_Grace, don't worry, most people understood your point. Please, everyone refrain from jumping to conclusions. And I wholeheartedly agree with CarolinaCutie's post, and unless you've been through rush before please do PNMs a favor and don't give advice. They should be well-informed, not getting information that you've gotten from an outsider's point of view. Thanks y'all!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry

Sorry everyone . I didn't mean to cause annoy anyone by giving advice even though I haven't gone through rush yet. We were just on the topic of clothing and I just wanted to pass on an important piece of advice that my aunt gave me. Hope everyone is having a nice Tuesday!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't worry Dee, no harm done, thanks for the clothing advice
Old 01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
You guys brought up a point about weight issues. I think that a heavy girl would have her ego crushed not only if she was cut because of her weight, but also by the number of times to got through rush because of her weight. When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that.
I'm afraid if a woman eats for comfort, she has more to worry about than being cut. (BTW, at your comment Rollergirl2001!)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
back to advice...

Um, could we get back to giving advice to PNM's? I'm affraid that all these comments will be scaring them away...

I would advise women going through recruitment to BE TRUE TO YOURSELF! All greek organizations are lovely for the people they are right for.
If you are someone who spends a lot of time on your appearance, likes to go to class in haute couture, and was and will always be a cheerleader, there is a sorority out there that will fit you. If you are someone who is friendly, but shy, enjoys going to movies, has a 4.0 and has always been involved in musical theatre, there is a sorority out there for you, too. It's even possible (though unlikely) that they are the same chapter.
More than likely, you will appreciate whatever chapter you join, but I can not stress enough to try for the house in which you feel the most comfortable. There were other chapters at my school that were lovely, the women interesting and gorgeous, yet they were NOT for me. In my case, I found the women at Gamma Phi Beta to be beautiful, smart, gracious, friendly and fun.
Although it can be hard, especially in the crazy environment that formal recruitment can be, try to determine the "vibe" or "feel" of the chapter, and then assess whether you will be comfortable and shine in that sort of environment. I have been around some greek women who did not really fit into their chapter, and they knew it, and were somewhat uncomfortable. I would hate to have someone have that sort of experience.
So good luck, be yourself, and have a GREAT time- recruitment should be an exciting and rewarding event!

TEII