GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,644
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, KevinMcphe
» Online Users: 1,348
1 members and 1,347 guests
MethrenLusia
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
Also, the Ivy League is extremely northern.

Guess you answered that one.
Being southern by birth does not automatically make you "fratty." There are plenty of guys from up north that would make solid additions to any respectable southern fraternity, we have guys from VA, NY, PA, MI, etc.
Thanks for cutting out the next part of my quote where I specified Big 10 and northern ACC schools...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
Haha, I won't make that mistake again. My date and I had trash thrown at us during an ACC game. She was wearing a dress.
The Steelers are not in the ACC. I don't know what the heck you're talking about.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
It sounds like this discussion has been done to death and besides the entertainment factor, I don't see where this is going to go. I think most of those of us who went greek in northern schools recognize we had a different experience than many in our fraternal chapters down south. And speaking for myself, I'm extremely OK with that. I also recognize that had I gone to a southern school instead, I may not have been greek, based on what I've heard and the fact that I'd never heard of a "rec" until I was rushing on the INSIDE sophomore year. And I'm definitely OK with that too. So enjoy your "fratty" world and understand that we in the north had just as positive greek experiences as you are having, just different and appropriate to our schools and part of the country. And that's OK. Now go iron your slacks.

ETA: And I guess to 'answer' your 'question', yes, there were well-dressed guys in fraternities at Penn State, but it wasn't more prevalent than guys that wore letters. We used the word "preppy" then, though, NEVER "fratty" -- I can't imagine a fraternity man wanting to be called that...

Last edited by nittanyalum; 12-18-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Thanks for cutting out the next part of my quote where I specified Big 10 and northern ACC schools...
Sorry, didn't mean to misquote you. I thought you really did want to know if there were any "fratty" northern chapters. I don't have much experience with the Big 10 or the ACC so I was just contributing what I knew from experience.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Being southern by birth does not automatically make you "fratty."
It certainly doesn't! There are pretentious people obsessed with status and material things (and only barely concealing their uglier prejudices) in every corner of the world!!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Haha, I won't make that mistake again. My date and I had trash thrown at us during an ACC game. She was wearing a dress.
Was that at UMD by any chance? That sounds like us.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It certainly doesn't! There are pretentious people obsessed with status and material things (and only barely concealing their uglier prejudices) in every corner of the world!!
Shouldn't a moderator be a little less judgemental. You talk about these prejudices, which is exactly what you have against me for being a member of a southern fraternity.
I'm signing off to catch a plane to Michigan, where people are TRULY shallow and pretentious. People think I'm weird because I wave to people and am generally nice and outgoing towards EVERYONE.
I have never seen a message board moderator be as ridiculous as you, while many of the members on this board may agree with what you are saying (I hope they don't) you have insulted me and, in all likelihood 25% of the members of this site.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Shouldn't a moderator be a little less judgemental.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not all ACC schools are garbage, FSU, GaTech, UVa, etc. have respectable greek systems.
Here's a difference for you: KA at Maryland is heavily Jewish, African-American, and Asian-American.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't a moderator be a little less judgemental. You talk about these prejudices, which is exactly what you have against me for being a member of a southern fraternity.
It has nothing to do with you being a member of a southern fraternity. It has EVERYTHING to do with you acting like your chapter and Greek system is the closest thing to heaven and any chapter/system above the Mason-Dixon is shit for really stupid reasons. Trust me, there are Northern people on this board who have the same type of attitude and they've gotten called on it (by me and other people) as well.

If you like dressing up on a daily basis and the fact that your house looks like something from Gone With The Wind and stuff like that, no one cares. But when you point it out and act like what you wear on your back or where you live makes you better or more committed to your fraternity, you come across as a superficial asshat.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-18-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
You're going to get me fired for laughing out loud at work, lol!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm signing off to catch a plane to Michigan, where people are TRULY shallow and pretentious. People think I'm weird because I wave to people and am generally nice and outgoing towards EVERYONE.
I have never seen a message board moderator be as ridiculous as you, while many of the members on this board may agree with what you are saying (I hope they don't) you have insulted me and, in all likelihood 25% of the members of this site.
I had to quote this for posterity. I couldn't believe that he wrote the part about Michigan and then followed it up with how someone else had insulted 25% of the members on this site!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would guess that what 33girl has against you is that you tried to re-start a conversation that has been had already, and one that you acknowledged in your original post did not have a pleasant outcome. And to top it off you attempted to re-start the conversation under the guise of "a discussion" but what you really did was start a better than/worse than of fraternity life: North vs. South.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Being southern by birth does not automatically make you "fratty." There are plenty of guys from up north that would make solid additions to any respectable southern fraternity, we have guys from VA, NY, PA, MI, etc.

This always gets my goat. Since when is Virginia the north; it was at one point the seat of the Confederacy.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To steal another poster's post from a long time ago in a thread that got closed down almost immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
This should already tell you that this thread is not going to work.

The problem is that instead of "discussing" the differences, it just turns into attacking - which has really started in post #1. Your paragraph that you stole from your thread long ago is pretty inflammatory. If this thread continues past the first page, the terms "guido" and "redneck" will be used, and it will get ugly.
Quote:
Unfortunately, you probably won't get a good discussion here.

The yanks get immediately offended and tell us how we can't read because we're inbred.
Then we point out their lack of tradition and mediocre chapters.
Next they get all upset about how down south, when giving bids, we only worry about Dad's social status, and if you drive and American-made truck or SUV. (which is not true)
...and it's all downhill from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
For what? It's already been explained that the thread can go nowhere but downhill. Even your fellow "fratty" lover SECdomination has stated this fact. What you really want to explain is how your fratty/southern ways are much better because blah blah blah blah blah. The conversation has been held already. If you would like to engage in such convo, do so vicariously by reading the old thread that you referenced or striking up a PM conversation with SECdomination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
It sounds like this discussion has been done to death and besides the entertainment factor, I don't see where this is going to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
I would guess that what 33girl has against you is that you tried to re-start a conversation that has been had already, and one that you acknowledged in your original post did not have a pleasant outcome. And to top it off you attempted to re-start the conversation under the guise of "a discussion" but what you really did was start a better than/worse than of fraternity life: North vs. South.
'nuff said. thread closed.