GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,495
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, jacksonfrances2
» Online Users: 1,940
0 members and 1,940 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
I want to start a secret society. Well, not secret. Well, we'd have secrets. More about this later, in a more appropriate enviornment.
You are invited to join the esteem secret brotherhood of the Stonecutter. All hail Homer Jay Simpson
Old 02-23-2003, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The stuff about Minda Riley is greatly exaggerated. Emphasis on the word GREATLY. Some of it is completely fabricated.

Also, FYI... Minda's father, Bob Riley, was in a Machine-affiliated fraternity at the U of A, and he is now the governor of Alabama.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that journalists should not be lazy. Now back to watching TV.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shark In Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark In Skirt
Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
The stuff about Minda Riley is greatly exaggerated. Emphasis on the word GREATLY. Some of it is completely fabricated.

Also, FYI... Minda's father, Bob Riley, was in a Machine-affiliated fraternity at the U of A, and he is now the governor of Alabama.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm dying to know what fraternities and sororities are affliated with the Machine.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard the Minda Riley story, told almost the exactly same way, too many times in the past 9 years to think that it's false. Sure, there might be some overexaggerations, but there's too much stuff that's lining up. Completely fabricated stories tend to fall apart after a few tellings. Just because her father may or may not have been part of the Machine doesn't mean she was, or wanted anything to do with it. His involvement wasn't the issue.

Since when is "The Guardian" "left-wing hooey"? Some of the articles I've read in it sympathize with conservatives, others with liberals. This was simply a commentary on the peculiarities of something that is foreign to the overwhelming majority of the world--the Southern Greek System. I wasn't offended by it at all.

The problem doesn't lie solely with Lexis-Nexis, it's search engines of the sort all over the world. Lexis-Nexis is most often used in academic settings, and it's not a tool of radicalism. Like any source of information, it can be manipulated by people on both sides of the coin.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I have worked with the UA chapter of Gamma Phi for several years and I currently live in Alabama. I have also been told that the Minda Riley story, as it stands above, is untrue. I have heard this from people both inside and outside of Alabama's greek system.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-21-2003, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
I'm bumping this thread cause it's interesting....I had no idea that anything like this even existed!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Thanks, find this very interesting, from a historical stand point?

Are these The KKK of Greek Elitests?

KKK key on ebay right now??????

This sounds like a little woohy but one does not know! For sure that is.

HMMMMMMM interesting thought but depends on how far they want to take it?

Never heard of it in the mid-west, Ks that is or Mo, Ks, Ok, and not sure about Ne.

I guess I would have been to radical to join them!

Like why dont you Kiss My Butt!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-21-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Well, I know it doesn't exist at the University of Oklahoma. Our student body president is not Greek, and she is African American.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Arriving Late To This Post

I'm not sure what the issue is, but there seem to be questions about whether elements or extensions of The Machine exist elsewhere. No, it exists only at the University of Alabama. Organizations of that type, though not as secretive or quite as powerful, do exist: ie Blue Key at Florida, or Burning Spear at Florida State.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

very curious..

I've been reading through all these posts and looking through the news articles. Which houses are old row at the University of Alabama? Someone posted that just because a house is old row doesn't make it part of the Machine, but through some other posts I'm lead to believe that old row and the Machine are directly connected. So if you can't tell who the Machine houses are most often associated with, who are the old row houses? Any answers would be helpful, cause I am absolutely fascinated.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Old Row, New Row

The old row, new row distinctions don't really apply any more. Alabama built a new row in the 1960s, and some of those houses are Machine affiliated. Some came from the "old row" to the new one. The term has to do with the way certain houses were described fifty years ago. "Old-Line" vs "New Arrivals" might be a more accurate description. If you visit Alabama and ask around, you can find out pretty easily who the "old line" fraternities are. Start with DKE, then SAE. Certainly the Pikes, KAs and Sigma Nus. There are others as well. Note: this is not to say those are necessarily the top-ranked houses today, but the fraternities that were prominent/dominant at Capstone throughout most of the last century are the guiding lights of The Machine.
I hate to say this because it sounds so cliche, but if you haven't visited the University of Alabama, I don't think you can really understand this the specific culture that gives rise to the legend of The Machine.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

i think me and deltasig stan and josho8 should start one at sdsu it would awesome
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Old Row, New Row

I hate to say this because it sounds so cliche, but if you haven't visited the University of Alabama, I don't think you can really understand this the specific culture that gives rise to the legend of The Machine. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is so true! I am not sure if my sorority was part of The Machine when I attended Bama in the 60's but suspect they were. Even all of the sisters/brothers of a member group are not sure who their delegate is. From what I have heard, The Machine is alive and well at Bama - although maybe not as powerful as they once were.

Greeks on any campus can accomplish the same thing by "block voting" if they will only organize themselves. It doesn't have to be secret - just say we will vote for one of ourselves and trade votes. It happens at all levels - in business and government. Greeks just need two groups to start it.

ROOOOOLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Old Row, New Row

Quote:
Originally posted by Nhfulmer
I hate to say this because it sounds so cliche, but if you haven't visited the University of Alabama, I don't think you can really understand this the specific culture that gives rise to the legend of The Machine.
This is so true! I am not sure if my sorority was part of The Machine when I attended Bama in the 60's but suspect they were. Even all of the sisters/brothers of a member group are not sure who their delegate is. From what I have heard, The Machine is alive and well at Bama - although maybe not as powerful as they once were.
Greeks on any campus can accomplish the same thing by "block voting" if they will only organize themselves. It doesn't have to be secret - just say we will vote for one of ourselves and trade votes. It happens at all levels - in business and government. Greeks just need two groups to start it.

ROOOOOLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
I have not "been" to Bama but have friends who have graduated from there and others who are still there....one of these days really soon, I plan to start making regular visits so I can see things for myself......

I have no problem with Greeks block voting etc -- even though not all Greeks are alike (although I suppose that is the raison d'etre for the Machine -- they ARE all alike)

But it seems to me like the Machine can be just as dastardly (which is why all the secrecy about certain things it has a hand in) as it can be admirable (which is why they don't seem to mind having publicity)...I guess what I don't like is that they really do not seem - from my admittedly limited perspective - to have the good of all Greekdom at heart...they just seem to have the good of the Machine in mind.....and that is sad....IMHO