GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 2,382
3 members and 2,379 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
There's always AI.

Who are you and what have you done with AlphaFrog??!???!??

I actually feel sorry for that poor girl. She's probably felt out of place socially most of her life since she's so ahead of others her age in school and now her Mom pressures her to go through rush even though she's not only younger than all the other rushees but also not even eligible to be bid by the sorority she's legacied to. Nice, Mom. I doubt she'd even be interested in pursuing AI were she offered it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND.
For those of you who read this story and were, understandably, confused or shocked...I'm sorry to say that this kind of behavior is more common than you'd think.

As an Academic Adviser, I'm tellin' ya, I've had lots and lots of people bring in entire entourages into the academic advising appointment. I still don't get why someone would want to bring her boyfriend when she comes in to talk to me about academic probation or why a roommate needs to hang out right there while I go over a degree plan. I've had well-meaning boyfriends, girlfriends, friends and family members interrupt me in the middle of my advising to ask questions or argue with me on behalf of the student.

When bringing them in, I've tried suggesting to students that maybe their friend should wait in the lobby since there aren't enough chairs and I've had the guests volunteer to stand through the whole appointment or even sit on the floor.

I don't care for the extra visitors. They can wait in the lobby. For real.

Given my experience with this kind of thing, I don't think the relationship from KSU's story is borderline "abusive"...it's just that this girl and her boyfriend are way too into each other's business. You know...BFF with her boyfriend.

LOL..if a PNM had brought her boyfriend, I'd do what I do now, just ignore him and speak only directly to her. If he asked me a question about dues, I'd turn to her and answer as if she was the one who had asked the question.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 01-29-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Finally a (semi)appropriate time to say this: There's always AI. If her mom really wanted her to be a Zeta, and the sisters liked her, I don't see a reason why she couldn't be OFFERED AI, assuming she meets all of Zeta's other AI requirements and there was someone willing to sponsor her. Of course by now, this is just an afterthough.

I don't think we have Alumnae Initiation because I've never heard of this, but of course I'mnot an expert on Alumnae stuff. Although, I do know we have "special initiates".
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

LOL..if a PNM had brought her boyfriend, I'd do what I do now, just ignore him and speak only directly to her. If he asked me a question about dues, I'd turn to her and answer as if she was the one who had asked the question.

.....Kelly
Oh we tried, but he just kept jumping in, there was no ingnoring him! I'm glad she decided not to go through, because I could've seen her being a total waste of space in any sorority and going through the NM period and dropping out before initiation because she doesn't get to spend enough time with her boyfriend.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh we tried, but he just kept jumping in, there was no ingnoring him! I'm glad she decided not to go through, because I could've seen her being a total waste of space in any sorority and going through the NM period and dropping out before initiation because she doesn't get to spend enough time with her boyfriend.
What? You mean he wouldn't be invited to chapter?

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl View Post
I don't think we have Alumnae Initiation because I've never heard of this, but of course I'mnot an expert on Alumnae stuff. Although, I do know we have "special initiates".
:smirk:
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Or she would have refused to be initiated because he couldn't attend the
ceremony with her ... "What do you mean its secret and he can't come??"
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Or she would have refused to be initiated because he couldn't attend the
ceremony with her ... "What do you mean its secret and he can't come??"
Or she would tell her boyfriend all of the secrets.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post

Who are you and what have you done with AlphaFrog??!???!??

I actually feel sorry for that poor girl. She's probably felt out of place socially most of her life since she's so ahead of others her age in school and now her Mom pressures her to go through rush even though she's not only younger than all the other rushees but also not even eligible to be bid by the sorority she's legacied to. Nice, Mom. I doubt she'd even be interested in pursuing AI were she offered it.
Don't be so hard on her mom...she probably wasn't aware that ZTA doesn't allow grad students to pledge. My husband went to college at 13 and started Med school at 17...he'll tell you that for kids who are that advanced, it is really hard to fit in. He had enough insight into his situation to realize that he needed to work extra hard not to be a social misfit. Joining a sorority would likely be a wonderful experience for a woman who hasn't been in a position to socialize with people her own age for many years. Maybe her mom saw that joining would be a good thing for her daughter whether or not it was ZTA who gave her the experience.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Don't be so hard on her mom...she probably wasn't aware that ZTA doesn't allow grad students to pledge. My husband went to college at 13 and started Med school at 17...he'll tell you that for kids who are that advanced, it is really hard to fit in.
Is his name, Doogie Howser?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Is his name, Doogie Howser?
Ha! I called him that when we first met...he was a 19 year old third year when I was a 24 year old 4th year student on the same rotation in GYN surgery! I remember being really impressed that he wasn't a social "retard" (I know that's not PC, but it is what I thought at the time!) Med school was actually like college socially for my husband. Since he was too young to pledge a fraternity in college, he had his psuedo-fraternity in med school. He lived with a big group of guys in a house, and they threw the best parties!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 01-31-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
:smirk:
OOOOOhhhh boy. :smirk: is right.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

okay soooo on to another weird rush story. Sophomore year was my first year seeing how formal rush was done because I had initially gone through informal rush the previous fall.

An explanation of our first round so that you can better understand the situation. The first round is philanthropy round, which is held in rooms located in the HUB(student co-op), instead of doing rush in the suites because there is no airconditioning. We have 11 chapters at our school so we do the first round in shifts. There is a morning round with the first half of sororities and then an afternoon round with the second half of sororities

Anyways, one of our sisters was panhellenic president at the time and our chapter happened to draw the second round, which we were all greatful of, so we could sleep in that much longer on a Saturday. While we were waiting outside to be allowed in to setup and decorate our sister the Pan Prez comes out and informs us there has already been some drama. Apparently when one of the girls walked into XYZ chapter she saw the girl her boyfriend had cheated on her with. Upon seeing this she very loudly exited there room and refused to go back into that chapters room for the rest of the round. Several of the panhel exec board talked to her when she came out of the room trying to be supportive. Anyways she made it clear who she was when she came around to our chapter announcing which sorority she had left to the sisters sitting by her and why.

XYZ was also a very popular sorority on campus. Very similar to the likes of ABC & MNO for taking the tannest of the fake tan girls.(nothing against fake tan girls... i personally fake tan although i think i will always look pale compared to everyone else)

In the end she ended up suiciding XYZ's rival sorority ABC. But needless to say it was very entertaining for us and we all talk about it for the rest of the weekend.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Apparently when one of the girls walked into XYZ chapter she saw the girl her boyfriend had cheated on her with. Upon seeing this she very loudly exited there room and refused to go back into that chapters room for the rest of the round. Several of the panhel exec board talked to her when she came out of the room trying to be supportive. Anyways she made it clear who she was when she came around to our chapter announcing which sorority she had left to the sisters sitting by her and why.
Imagine what would have happened if she had been randomly paired with the "other woman" while walking in the door.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

wow i just spent an hour reading all these.. and then i realized there were 48 pages of it and gave up. hahaha