GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,587
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, taylrjnro4590
» Online Users: 2,171
2 members and 2,169 guests
g41965, zlgantivanov318

Old 06-20-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
life

Last edited by canadajen; 10-09-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: tmi :(
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Jen,
I just PM'd you with some advice. I've been out of school for four years and just went through the whole grad school process last fall.

I also am a PLSLD (Person Living with Student Loan Debt). hahaha.

Let me know if you have any questions after you read my PM.

LiEP,
Keri
Old 06-20-2002, 04:28 PM
UMgirl

Ha Ha I am a PLSLD too! Jen I am kinda in the same boat that your in. I am a recent Grad (In Aug it'll be a year *sniffle*) and I want to go back but because of my not to great of a GPA, I am trying to get some real life experience to make my applications so when I hopefully do go back, look good. I am still trying to get into a law firm for something, but no luck yet. But I refuse to give up and am looking for other ways around it, plus exploring other options. The job situation is the same too. I have a full time but I need a little extra, so I am either going to try to get a bartending or waitressing job.
My only advice is the same that I give myself. Continue to strive for what you want and dont give up. Good things will happen. Sometimes you gotta go thru lots of downs to get an up
Old 06-20-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

UMgirl,
Here is my PM to Jen. I didn't post it because it is so long....

Hope this helps you both and provides some inspiration.

Jen,
Chin up, girl! I just went through what you are going through.

I graduated four years ago and went right into working in Advertising. I had tons of student loans and tons of credit card debt.

Last year, I decided I was really unhappy with what I was doing in advertising and did a lot of soul searching.

I ended up deciding to pursue my Master's in Higher Ed with an emphasis in Student Affairs. It was my way of giving back while still being able to use my advertising/marketing background.

I was a little hesitant at first because my undergrad GPA is not stellar. I had an overall GPA of 2.68/4.0 and my last 60 hours was 3.0/4.0.

But never fear...what I did was talk to a lot faculty and staff in the programs that I was interested. It ended up that I scored really well on the GRE and since I had fours years of real world experience, they felt that maturity and experience far out weighed my undergrad GPA.

I was told by top instructors that GPA is becoming more and more a very small part of the admissions decision process. They really try to look at the whole picture. This is across the board...1st Tier schools, 2nd Tier, etc.

Here's what I would suggest to you.

1) Student Loans and debt
--- Yes, put a dent in them first. See about getting on income sensitive payment plan...not income contingent, but income sensitive. There is a difference between the two. I MIGHT HAVE THESE BACKWARDS, CHECK INTO THAT!!

Then pay down any credit cards you've got first. They carry the higher interest rate. Also, if your student loans are not consolidated, get them consolidated. I think you can do this through sallie Mae....not sure about the Canadian differences.

2) If an MBA is what you are after, then I suggest taking some math courses at a local community college or university. You will want to have a proficiency to the calculus and statistics level. Make sure you get "A's" in these classes.

3) When you've been out for two-three years, I would start the application process. Gather materials from the schools, determine which programs best meet your needs and then apply for say 3-5 schools. Apply to 1 or 2 that you think you have no shot at, apply to 1-2 that you'd be happy at and apply to 1-2 that you know you could get into, but are not maybe the most prominent of programs. Be picky, though, applying can be expensive.

4) Also, if an MBA is what you want, I would suggest from now until application time working for that accounting firm. It will show that you have good experience and hopefully progressively increased responsibility. Or, if not accounting, some other area of interest.

5) Other things that can help are volunteerism. You can volunteer to do the ledgers for a non-profit or just volunteer plain and simple.

6) Make sure you build your network of friends and colleagues. They will be important as references.

Another source for the MBA route is www.businessweek.com. Look at the b-schools forum.

Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like to chat. I brought up MBA because I was very very close to pursuing my MBA before I decided to go into Student Affairs.

Just an FYI, it was about a 10 month process for me from decision to go, application, interviews, GRE, getting an assistantship and now ending my real job to go to school.

By the way, for my program I have a Graduate Assistantship in Greek Life. It pays ALL of my tuition plus a stipend of $12,000 USD and $500 professional development fund.

I was able to pay off my credit cards, but I will have in-school deferment on my student loans and I am taking out a little more to cover living expenses.

Take care and LiEP,
Keri

OH BY THE WAY, IF You ARE GOING TO MOONLIGHT....THE BEST WAY IS TO WAIT TABLES AT A 5-STAR RESTAURANT. I DID THAT AT A NICE STEAK HOUSE IN KC AND MADE MINIMUM OF $150 PER NIGHT. DURING THE HOLIDAYS, IT WAS ABOUT $250. It's the easiest way to make the most money in the least amount of time.

Last edited by GreekGuide; 06-20-2002 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Keri's response is absolutely correct and I couldn't agree more.

Jen, you're not the only person in the world to graduate and not feel sure about what you want to do with yourself. It is very normal!

I went through it myself after law school. I just knew in my heart that doing the traditional law firm or clerkship thing wasn't for me, but imagine the arguments I would get from my family about it. ("You mean to tell me that you went to law school for 3 years and you don't want to be a lawyer?!?!") The first year after law school was an extremely difficult and anxious time for me.

But after I worked up the courage to say, NO, this is MY life and I am going to do what I think is best for ME...things started to go more smoothly for me. Now, I'm ridiculously happy with my job AND using my legal background without practicing law.

A few more quick points:
1. This sounds like such a cliche, but if you do what you love, the money will follow.

2. Figure out what your true calling is--one excellent book that can help you on the way is "What Color is Your Parachute?"

3. Worry about your student loans, but don't worry about them so much that your fear of how to repay gets in the way of you pursuing your dreams. Refer back to point #1.

Go get 'em!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Great advice...Another good book is the irreverent "Who Moved my Cheese?"

Always ask yourself, "WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WEREN'T AFRAID?"