GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,584
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, bpittyjunor9856
» Online Users: 1,952
1 members and 1,951 guests
abobbylttleay45

Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes it has been raining here since about 8am. Hopefully it will subside by the time first round of parties begin. I know everyone is excited!

ETA:
Wednesday Parties: The first philanthropy party begins at 4:30 pm and ends at 9:55 pm tonight. There are six parties.
Thursday Parties: The rest of philanthropy parties begin at 4:30 pm and ends at 8:00 pm. There are four parties.
Friday Parties: Skit Parties are 4 pm-11:50 pm. There is a break from 7:50-8:50 pm for dinner for all houses and PNMs. There are seven parties. PNMs can only go to six so that must mean that each house will have an off period. (I think anyway.)
Saturday Parties: Preference Parties are from 4 pm-7:40 pm. There are three parties.
Sunday: Bid Day! Bids are distributed at 3 pm.

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-26-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Yes it has been raining here since about 8am. Hopefully it will subside by the time first round of parties begin. I know everyone is excited!
Best wishes to all! OleMissGlitter -- I know you'll be deep into it, but do check in with us and let us know how it's going.

"Hoddy Toddy, Gosh Almighty! ...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't worry! I am just helping Friday after work, Saturday and Sunday. Since I'm not the Chapter Adviser anymore (I'm just the Website and Administrative Adviser) I get to relax more! I know the houses were all practicing last night. I drove down Rebel Drive last night (Sorority row with Chi O, Pi Phi, Theta, and AOII) and I saw the Pi Phi's practicing a pref song outside and the Theta's practicing a cheer! I love this time of year! I'll keep ya'll posted! I know I'm really excited to see where some of my New Orleans girls pledge!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

OleMissGlitter,
Do you have any idea how many pnms signed up for recruitment? Thanks.
Fan
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

2 of my best friends are in sororitys at Ole Miss[one is a kappa and one is a kd]. they are both so stressed with this week!!! they haven't gotten home from practice[which started at 5 or 4:30] til after midnight each week. i know it's just as stressful for the girls who are in it as it is who are rushing. but best of luck to those who are[and their mothers]. ole miss rush is ten times better than other schools[trust me on that one!!]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ps: a pledge class this year should be anywhere from 90-100. my kappa friend had over 82 in her class last year! but i think it's great that they did the gpa requirement. it's cruel to let a girl go through if none of the sorority's will take her. they really should move it up to 3.0 considering thats a big cut off for most of them.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillylover3 View Post
ps: a pledge class this year should be anywhere from 90-100. my kappa friend had over 82 in her class last year! but i think it's great that they did the gpa requirement. it's cruel to let a girl go through if none of the sorority's will take her. they really should move it up to 3.0 considering thats a big cut off for most of them.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. I remember one chapter that would take "numbers" rather than "quality". They typically had a very high depledge rate, whether it be for dissatisfaction, not making grades or uncommitted.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish they would raise the gpa a little more!

I know that we used to have a study hall for all new members, and I think it helped the girls some, but my life as scholarship chairman was insane! Try chasing around 75+ girls who did NOT want to spend much time with their books!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Good point, Lilly, I heard of many upset girls at my campus and they just ended up resentful after recruitment. As for your HUGE pledge class, the biggest I ever saw was 25 and that was big for us (granted, total on my campus was 90...). I just could not imagine a pledge class that big! WOW! My pledge class was 8 and it fit us just fine at the time, lol.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
LIOB, my big was our scholastics chair when I pledged and I remember the headaches she used to go through to get girls to show up to study hours. Thankfully, I had a 3.6 GPA so I didn't have to go to study hours :-)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My D is going through rush and felt she rec'd a lot of attention at the first party last night because she is in the Honors College and in the Croft Institute for Int'l Studies. The sororities must be serious about raising their GPA's!! Good for them.

My D is sooo excited about rush but she had told me she hasn't even had time to stress out about it because of the demands of her schedule. I say good for her. She told me that her focus needs to be school first, she said that she thinks that if she is herself that she will find the right group of girls for her and can't waste time worrying about it ahead of time. I hope she can keep this attitude this week. Any group would be lucky to get her. Brains and Beauty!

Since we are from South Carolina ( and I was a KD at University of Central Florida ) I was a little worried about not having connections to the houses at Ole Miss. But, if she isn't going to worry about it, I won't either. (At least not out loud to her!!)

Good luck to all the PNM this week. (And their anxious Moms)
Old 09-27-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

For all you rusheemamas and aunts and friends who may be interested:

The Lily Pad on the square in Oxford will put together a really cute bid day goodie bag for your daughter--for some reason they get the bid lists before anyone else so all you have to do is call and give them a dollar amount, then on bid day they will deliver it to your daughter's sorority house...the number is: 662-238-2900

I did this for my daughter last year and they sent some really cute stuff.

And, just because I'm in a pretty good mood today and feel like saving people trouble, the number for Oxford Floral is: 1-800-748-8917. They are very very helpful--I had a daughter and a niece there last year so they heard a lot from me. I have niece's twin sister going through this year, so I'm sure I'll need them again!

I tried to get some details out of my daughter about last night but her phone doesn't work in her apartment very well and all I could understand is that she is exhausted and has a huge test tomorrow and I *think* she said another one on Monday.

I know that education comes first, but I swear they go for 2 weeks without even a quiz, then come rush week they pile it on...at a campus that is 30-35% greek is looks like they could maybe plan the tests a week earlier or later.......oh well, such is life.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Gifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
For all you rusheemamas and aunts and friends who may be interested:

The Lily Pad on the square in Oxford will put together a really cute bid day goodie bag for your daughter--for some reason they get the bid lists before anyone else so all you have to do is call and give them a dollar amount, then on bid day they will deliver it to your daughter's sorority house...the number is: 662-238-2900

I did this for my daughter last year and they sent some really cute stuff.

And, just because I'm in a pretty good mood today and feel like saving people trouble, the number for Oxford Floral is: 1-800-748-8917. They are very very helpful--I had a daughter and a niece there last year so they heard a lot from me. I have niece's twin sister going through this year, so I'm sure I'll need them again!

I tried to get some details out of my daughter about last night but her phone doesn't work in her apartment very well and all I could understand is that she is exhausted and has a huge test tomorrow and I *think* she said another one on Monday.

I know that education comes first, but I swear they go for 2 weeks without even a quiz, then come rush week they pile it on...at a campus that is 30-35% greek is looks like they could maybe plan the tests a week earlier or later.......oh well, such is life.
Thank you SEC MOM! I had already contacted the Lily Pad, but called
the Oxford Floral people and they were so nice! Got the flowers
right out to the girls! My D told me that Stewart Hall
looked like a Floral Shoppe!!! Boy that Lily Pad place sure will
bring in the big bucks this weekend...whooa!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was a conspiracy with some professors who weren't so keen on the Greek system. I swear some of them do it on purpose!!!

Ole Miss Mama---hooray for your daughter with the HC and Croft! She's obviously very smart! I know any group will be lucky to get her! I loved my honors classes because the Phi Mu house is across the street so I could always get to the food really fast! hahaha
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

GPA's

Well I know a girl who went thru recruitment at Ole Miss last year who
was a National Merit Scholar, had a high school GPA of 4.78 from a
private school. Beauty & brains and didn't get a bid. Yet another
friends cute cheerleader type daughter(3.0 GPA) was wanted by all and
got her first choice. I think a lot of the houses are looking for well-rounded girls not just the girls with brains.