GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,599
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, et23
» Online Users: 1,262
4 members and 1,258 guests
PrettyBoy, Sarak24034, zellahulzez9781

Old 03-24-2004, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You hit the nail on the head. My undergrad chapter has never had more than 15 on any given line and the chapter inititiates from 5, now 6, different schools. A city-wide chapter includes all schools in a city or metro area that do not have chapters of their own. While each school does not have to recognize the chapter for students to be initiated, many do recognize the chapter and allow the org to become part of the student activities on campus.

Quote:
Originally posted by Intense1920
City-wide is a whole different ball game. I've never been in a city-wide chapter so my knowledge is limited. Most city-wide chapters don't have enough participation on any single campus to hold a charter individually. Or groups of schools won't allow GLOs on campus. If the charter references specific schools and one of those schools pulls recognition then the members can't hold events on campus.
In addition, several posts ask about minimums set by the national organizations. There are minimums to establish a chapter and there are minimums to keep a chapter but there are provisions that allow for special dispensation. Of course these minimums vary by org. DSTs minimum is less than the 10 required at Pitt so while a chapter may be in compliance with our National office, they may not be in compliance with Pitt, therefore we could lose our chapter there through no fault of our own.

Sad....I almost went to Pitt, too!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2004, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deuika Send a message via Yahoo to deuika
I can't believe this, that's just not right.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
This is the weakness in the University's arguement:

The University allocates monies to organizations over ten people. However, if recieving money is a requirement for being an organization, then none of the sororities or fraternities would be organizations, as none recieve money directly from the university. Only IFC and NPC would be. I dont see why the University cant, instead of recognizing each NPHC group, simply recognize them as one governing organization. Truthfully, I dont see what the University hopes to gain in their pursuits...