GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,599
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, et23
» Online Users: 1,326
4 members and 1,322 guests
Sarak24034, Tridentia, Xidelt

Old 03-23-2004, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to H0neymoon
What do I need to prepare for rush?

Hi guys, my name is Jennifer-Christie, I've posted a couple of times on here before. I'm from London and don't know a whole lot about the greek system or the rush process...

I've heard people mention getting "recommendations" or writing resumes for sororities... what sort of stuff do I need to prepare before I leave for California in August??

So lookin' forward to rushing and finding my perfect sorority! Can't wait to meet everyone at USC!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
This is something I didn't realize when going through the rush process in California. I started off in formal rush but never completely went through it and joined my local. But no one ever told me I needed a cocktail dress for Pref Night until that week. And a lot of my clothes were stuff to head to class in, not really cute stuff to wear to events. So if you don't have a car in Cali waiting for you and obviously home is really far away, I would bring some presentable, tasteful outfits that show off your personality as well. And make sure you have worn your shoes at least once or twice before wearing them to events otherwise your feet will kill!

Other than that, bring a good personality, bright smile, and open mind.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Your To-Do List

REGISTER FOR FALL RECRUITMENT
Contact USC's Office of Residential and Greek Life:
Director: Denzil J. Suite
(213) 740-2080
(213) 749-9781 (FAX)
dsuite@usc.edu
Student Union 200

You can register for Recruitment through this office.

RECOMMENDATIONS
You may obtain letters of recommendation from sorority alumnae. These are not required. They serve as a little "introduction" of you to the USC sorority. The recommendation is written by an alumna member of the sorority (the alumna does not need to have gone to USC) who sends in the recommendation on your behalf. There are plenty of alumnae of Greek Chat who will be happy to write you a rec, or to help you find someone who will. Most of these recommendations are a pre-set form unique to each sorority. The alum will ask you to help her fill in the blanks. Some alum are comfortable writing a rec for a woman they have not met in person, others are not. But those that are not will often help you find someone who will write you that rec. Just ask!

RESEARCH
Get an idea of who is on campus. The inter/national sororities have web sites (look them up on google.com), and some of the chapters on USC's campus have sites, too. You can learn about their history and traditions here:

USC Sororities
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Kappa
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Gamma
Alpha Kappa Alpha
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Phi Kappa
Delta Sigma Theta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Lamda Theta Nu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Gamma Rho
Sigma Lambda Gamma
Sigma Phi Omega
Sigma Theta Psi
Tau Theta Pi
Zeta Phi Beta

WHAT TO WEAR
When you register for recruitment, you can ask them questions about attire. Also, PM bruinaphi-- she is an adviser at USC.

Typically, you will want to wear dresses or skirt/top coordinates throughout the week. Remember that you are dressing for the girls, and not for boys (think classic lines and jewelry, not skimpy-too short-too tight-sequined cleavage display!) A lot of ladies here recommend wearing a piece of signature jewelry -- something that might be a good "conversation" piece. The last evening (Preference) will be a bit fancier than the rest. Wear comfortable shoes-- you will be walking and standing a bit!

If you get to campus a bit before, no doubt you will run into other young women who will be going through recruitment, and you can share ideas about what you're wearing, do some last-minute shopping, etc.

WHAT TO EXPECT
When Recruitment Week begins, you will go to some kind of kick-off event. You will be assigned to a Recruitment Counselor (a sorority woman who has disaffiliated from her chapter to be an objective guide to Greek Life for you) and there will be other Potential New Members who are also assigned to her. You'll meet a lot of Potential New Members, both in this group, and in other Recruitment Counselor groups.

Recruitment will be very structured, with specific times that you will be chaperoned to the houses. Once in the house, you will be paired up with a sorority woman. She will introduce you to other sisters in that house, and you'll have a chance to learn about the women as individuals, and about the sorority, while giving them a chance to get to know you. This is a great time to talk about your academic accomplishments and extracurricular involvement in high school, as well as your current major and what you're looking for in a sorority. This is also a good time to ask questions about the new member education period, dues, requirements for living in the chapter house, how the sorority participates in campus life and Greek life, and to ask them about friendships they have formed within the sorority and how they came to choose that sorority. Go into recruitment with an open mind-- you are there to make friends! See which sororities you might feel most comfortable in. The most important thing to remember is to just be yourself. Recruitment is a lot like a (very fun!) job interview. Appear interested, smile, ask good questions, give good answers, and get a feel for if this might be somewhere you would want to be!

During the week, you will be engaged in conversation with various sorority women. In addition to conversation, they will perform skits to show off their talent, do a craft project with you that is related to their sorority's philanthropy, etc. The Recruitment Counselors will be there every step of the way to answer questions!

Each day of recruitment, you and the sororities will engage in a mutual selection process, cutting down the number of houses you will go back to until the last night, Preference, when you will rank the houses you might see yourself a member of in the order you would choose.

On Bid Day, if the mutual selection process has matched, you will be given an invitation (also called a bid) to join a sorority! (For more information on mutual selection, totals, quotas, etc, visit http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforum...;threadid=22514)

More about Bid Day: At this point, you will be chaperoned to your new sorority house, where you will be greeted by your new sorority sisters and take part in Bid Day celebrations! They will explain additional key dates for membership, expectations, etc. You'll also receives tons of little take home treats with your sorority's name on it!

Sometimes in the mutual selection process, a woman might not be given a bid. Don't panic if you are one of the women-- you still have the opportunity to be in a sorority. Many of the sororities will hold an informal recruitment after the formal recruitment period is over, where they are taking new members in both the fall and spring semesters. These informal recruitment events are less structured and much more low-key.... most sisters and PNM's would even argue that they're more fun

Good luck to you at USC!

** Edited because none of the links to the chapters worked!

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-23-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much, that was really informative. I'm gonna be overwhelmed by it all though, I'm sure.

I don't quite understand how a sorority Alumna would write a recommendation for me though, since they don't know anything about me. Do I tell them all about myself and then they write a recommendation?

I was thinking about clothes today actually... how all the stores here in London don't exist over in Cali, so the noone else will have the same clothes as me, which is great! haha I can stock up before I leave.

But again, thanks so much for the advice and info... if anyone else has anything they would like to add that'd be fab!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Of the girls who go through the rush process, what percentage in general are offered a bid???

I'm hoping that the fact that I'm a London girl will stand in my favour as I'll be quite easy to remember.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:27 PM

Hi Jennifer-Christie

There is a chapter of Alumnae Panhellenic in the UK. They should be able to help you out with recommendations and such, and answer other basic UK vs. US questions. Just send an email to this address NPCCentral@npcwomen.org and let them know that you want to contact the Alumnae Panhel there.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I love how helpful you lot are! I really appreciate it.

If there's anyone out there who would be willing to write me a rec or knows of someone who could, please let me know. But I do need to do a lot more research on the sororities at USC.

xxxx

p/s- just saw your post... thanks 33girl, will do that right now!

Last edited by H0neymoon; 03-23-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the link to the USC greek Panhellenic site with current chapter links (the ones ADPiUCF posted don't seem to work).

http://www.uscifc.com/SPRING%20IFC%2...ororities.html

I know you've probably heard it a hundred times since you joined GC and you'll probably hear it a million more before you go through recruitment, but the most important thing is to Keep An Open Mind! You may go through recruitment and have totally different feelings about chapters. Keep researching and if you have any questions at all--feel free to ask! (which you've been doing a good job with, btw)
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said! Also check yer PMs

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
Here is the link to the USC greek Panhellenic site with current chapter links (the ones ADPiUCF posted don't seem to work).

http://www.uscifc.com/SPRING%20IFC%2...ororities.html

I know you've probably heard it a hundred times since you joined GC and you'll probably hear it a million more before you go through recruitment, but the most important thing is to Keep An Open Mind! You may go through recruitment and have totally different feelings about chapters. Keep researching and if you have any questions at all--feel free to ask! (which you've been doing a good job with, btw)
Old 03-23-2004, 05:35 PM

This thread should have been stickied in the Rush Forum:

EVERY potential new member should read this thread

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=45169

ETA: I hope one of the mods can sticky that thread
Old 03-23-2004, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't know if this is true in USC but I know one thing many people didn't know when I was rushing was that some groups require you to have a white dress for bid day. You might want to make sure they are no specific dress requirements like that one before you shop!

Pi Beta Phi
Georgia Alpha Alum
Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hey, first things first! Do you know the Sherlock Holmes Pub on North Umberland? Loved that place! Go there and have a Pint of Lagar and a Scotch Egg for me!

Next, go to the Alum Thread and look for navane- (Kelly), she spent at least a year in England and is Looking to AI. She lives in California again now!

There are as you can see, a lot of Great Ladies on Site who will be more than will to help anyway that they can!

By The Way, Jill is crazy, she loves Rollar Coasters, watch out for Her!

adpicuf is a great one to talk to as a National Officer, 33girl is one of the most helpful!

Clothes, Harrods is nice, take $$$$$$$$$$!

Looking forward to hearing from you and updating all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-23-2004, 05:46 PM

Yes, I am the roller coaster fanatic. I think a white dress is a good idea. IMO, any girl who is thinking about rush should buy a white dress. Chances are if you get a bid you will need one for initiation. Strike while the iron is hot, cause in the late summer it will be difficult to find a dress!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh there are some amazing summery dressed here in London at the mo. I work on Oxford Street at the mo so am always wandering round the shops on my lunch break. Selfridges inparticular haha.... got a fab Ted Baker dress the other day. I'll have to keep an eye out for a white dress. Goodness, imagine if I'd got to LA without a white dress! I'd have been done for!! I spend too much money, I'll have absolutely nothing left when I get to the States and I'll have to live like a pauper for four years!!

I spent a couple of weeks in Northumberland a few years ago... my mum loves it there but I felt stranded and it rained the whole time!!

I love roller-coasters too, so you're in good company!!
Old 03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

No, North Umberland the Street in London!

Between the Thames and Trafalger Square!

If you love Rollar Coasters, JillyBean is your Girl, She is a fanatic on the damn things!

Only time I would ride with Here is in Bumper Cars! On Ground so to Speak!

Find greekchaters.com, see JillyBean in Coaster going F-Crazy!

LX Z # 1
Alumni