GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,315
0 members and 2,315 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Immigrants and being an American: Theodore Roosevelt

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN at a 1907 rally:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Coming from what can be argued as one of America's great presidents, what do you think about these remarks?

For my part I think he is right on one hand but on the other hand I also feel like something is terribly wrong with this thought pattern.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC3710 View Post
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN at a 1907 rally:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Coming from what can be argued as one of America's great presidents, what do you think about these remarks?

For my part I think he is right on one hand but on the other hand I also feel like something is terribly wrong with this thought pattern.

To me, what I feel wrong is that he contradicted himself. He said, "for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin."; yet then he said, "Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all." That, to me, is saying that all Americans should give up who they are (race etc) and become an american. In which, it contradicts with his statement of not discriminating anyone. If that makes any sense to anyone.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I bet that fat fuck is turning over in his grave right about now being as there is a spanish translation next to almost anything in english. I cannot call a single 800 number and there not be an option for spanish. It really makes me wonder how americans and the world will view the so-called "spread of democracy" 100 years from now.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of the Ford pageant scene in the book Middlesex.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC3710 View Post
I bet that fat fuck is turning over in his grave right about now being as there is a spanish translation next to almost anything in english. I cannot call a single 800 number and there not be an option for spanish. It really makes me wonder how americans and the world will view the so-called "spread of democracy" 100 years from now.
What Democracy?

See where it is going in The USA.

I guess History is just repeating itself. Et Tu Brute? That is the big dawg that shoved a shiv in The Big Cheese.

LX Z # 1
Alumni