GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 1,522
0 members and 1,522 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Quick Question

I just have a really quick question! what is the difference between NPC, NIC, and NPHC? if someone could answer this for me i would REALLY appreciate it! thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2004, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi LauGh A Lot ,

I'm just going to give a bare bones answer, just to give you an idea. It'll be a while before you are eligible to join one as you're still a senior in high school, but it's nice you're thinking of the future. In each case the relevant national website (below) will give further information. Also, the websites of your desired university's should also list which chapters of which organisations are at your [potential] campuses. I'll hold off of touching much on the differences of the three disparate groups... as it's probably better to come from their official websites. Though should you have any specific questions feel free to ask here and people shall probably be happy to answer you if it's something they're able to comment on!
  • NIC = North American InterFraternity Conference:
    The umbrella body of the 64 (or so) male social fraternities. Barring a sex change you are unlikely to gain admission to membership of any of their member groups.
    www.nicindy.org
  • NPC = National Panhellenic Conference:
    Governing body of the 26 national womens' sororities (some though. female-only, are known as fraternities). Whether the individual chapter of one of these orgs at a campus participates in Formal Rush or not is something to check with the Greek Life office and website of the university, I think.
    www.npcwomen.org
  • NPHC = The National Pan-Hellenic Council:
    The governing/umbrella body of the nine fraternities and sororities (they're also known as the 'Divine Nine' which make up the NPHC. These are historically black service fraternities and sororities (with a social side too). Only some of these would require a gender change for you!
    www.nphchq.org

Last edited by decadence; 07-09-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Re: Quick Question

Quote:
Originally posted by LauGh A Lot
I just have a really quick question! what is the difference between NPC, NIC, and NPHC? if someone could answer this for me i would REALLY appreciate it! thanks so much!
NPC, the National Panhellenic Conference, was established in 1902 and is an umbrella organization of 26 (inter)national women's sororities and women's fraternities. Women almost always join one of these organizations in undergraduate college life, though alumnae initiations are becoming more frequent. Most groups joined between 1902 and 1912, though others joined in 1951. Members include Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa, Alpha Omicron Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Alpha Sigma Tau, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Theta Phi Alpha, Phi Sigma Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon, and Sigma Delta Tau. You can find more information at http://www.npcwomen.org/

NIC, the North-American Interfraternity Conference, was founded in 1909 and is an umbrella organization of approximately 66 men's fraternities. Men almost always join one of these organizations in undergraduate life. They include Acacia, Alpha Chi Rho, Alpha Delta Gamma, Alpha Delta Phi, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Gamma Sigma, Alpha Kappa Lambda, Alpha Phi Delta, Alpha Sigma Phi, Alpha Tau Omega, Beta Sigma Psi, Beta Theta Pi, Chi Phi, Chi Psi, Delta Chi, Delta Kappa Epsilon,
Delta Phi, Delta Psi, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta, Delta Upsilon, FarmHouse, Iota Phi Theta, Kappa Alpha Order, Kappa Alpha Psi, Kappa Alpha Society, Kappa Delta Phi, Inc., Kappa Delta Rho, Lambda Chi Alpha, Lambda Phi Epsilon, Lambda Sigma Upsilon, Lambda Theta Phi, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Iota Alpha, Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Tau, Phi Kappa Theta,
Phi Lambda Chi, Phi Mu Delta, Phi Sigma Phi, Pi Kappa Alpha,
Pi Kappa Phi, Pi Lambda Phi, Psi Upsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Lambda Beta, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Phi Society, Sigma Pi, Sigma Tau Gamma, Tau Delta Phi, Tau Epsilon Phi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Theta Chi, Theta Delta Chi, Theta Xi, Triangle, Zeta Beta Tau, and Zeta Psi. You can find more information at http://www.nicindy.org/

NPHC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council, was founded in 1930 and is an umbrella organization of 9 fraternities and sororities that are historically African American in membership. There are some chapters at undergraduate colleges/universities, but there are also citywide or area chapters that take in members who have already graduated from college. Members include Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Phi Psi Fraternity, Inc. You can find more information at http://www.nphchq.org/

Fun fact-- Iota Phi Theta, Inc., is a member of both the NIC and the NPHC!

All three of these umbrella organizations provide guidelines for their member organizations. These may or may not include risk management issues (hazing/insurance), recruitment/intake issues (recruitment rules, quotas, etc.), expansion guidelines (for when a campus wants to add new chapters of fraternities or sororities), leadership opportunities, scholarships, and the like.

There are other umbrella organizations for Hispanic/Latino organizations, Multicultural organizations, regional organizations, and the like.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Quick Question

Quote:
Originally posted by kateshort
Fun fact-- Iota Phi Theta, Inc., is a member of both the NIC and the NPHC!
As is Kappa Alpha Psi.

There are two additional international fraternaties that withdrew from the NIC. Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Theta.

Most, if not all, campus fraternity councils (may often be called International Fraternity Council or IFC) include both Kappa Sig and Phi Delt as full members.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you sooo much!! you girls are so nice, i can't wait to be in a sorority!
Old 07-10-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to highjack your thread, but I have a question. I recently found an online site of my college's old yearbooks that date back to 1897. I noticed that until 1923, the yearbook had a Pan-Hellenic Council that consisted of MENS fraternities (and as women's groups started to come to campus, they were also included in Pan-hellenic). I think in the 1924 yearbook, the men switched to the IFC but the three women's groups weren't listed as belonging to any group.

Can someone tell me why this is? I go to Auburn.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to opaldragon
Quote:
Originally posted by AUDG
Not to highjack your thread, but I have a question. I recently found an online site of my college's old yearbooks that date back to 1897. I noticed that until 1923, the yearbook had a Pan-Hellenic Council that consisted of MENS fraternities (and as women's groups started to come to campus, they were also included in Pan-hellenic). I think in the 1924 yearbook, the men switched to the IFC but the three women's groups weren't listed as belonging to any group.

Can someone tell me why this is? I go to Auburn.
This would be my guess. Pan-Hellenic translates into All-Greek so it would make sense for an organization that encompasses all GLOs to be called that. Dunno the real reason but that's my guess.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!