GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,587
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, taylrjnro4590
» Online Users: 2,162
2 members and 2,160 guests
g41965, zlgantivanov318

Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you do for Founders' Day?

OK, so Founders' Day is coming up soon, and I'll be in attendance because this year the chapter I advise is hosting Founders' Day for all the Kentucky chapters. I guess I always thought that everyone celebrated Founders' Day in a similar way, but we had an advisors meeting last week & the advisors that were alumnae from other chapters (not in Kentucky) were shocked at what a big production it is here.

Every year the 4 collegiate chapters in Kentucky rotate hosting the event (which is usually on a weekend closest to Founders' Day so that everyone can attend.) Alumnae, advisors, special guests, active members, and new members are invited. Hotel ballrooms or conference centers are rented out, a lunch is catered & served, we have keynote speakers & breakout sessions, and everyone is given a gift.

So how does your chapter celebrate Founders' Day? Do you still go as an alumnae/advisor?

Last edited by _Lisa_; 09-21-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

We make "elaborate" productions out of Founders Day as well and why shouldn't we? It is a celebration of the founding of our sorority. We want to make it special. Like you, the alumnae chapters rotate each year in who is hosting and how they are putting it on but it generally tends to stay the same as in renting out a ballroom somewhere nice, catered lunch, speeches, and of course, all the fabulous SK merchandise that's sold.

This year, my alumnae chapter is hosting at an amazing winery, resort, & spa. I'm excited about it.

Here are some pictures of the place. Living in Southern California sure does have its advantages!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Those pictures are amazing!

Founders' Day is usually hosted by the collegiate chapters for us though, we've only got a few alumnae chapters, and the alumnae chapter that is connected to the UK collegiate chapter isn't in KY, its in OH! But they'll be invited anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The alums host our Founders Day. Some of the other ladies & I are thinking that since we're at a resort spa & winery already, we should book rooms and enjoy the weekend instead of just the day.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You totally should! By the time Founders' Day rolls around in KY its usually starting to get chilly, so we don't have some nice resort to book & then have a reason to stay around.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We've been having Founders' Day with GWU, alternating hosting. We have a catered lunch/brunch where some collegiates from both chapters speak, and some area alumnae and advisors speak. Topics ranges from values, sisterhood, recruitment, accomplishments, pretty standard. And of course, we do a ceremony to remember the 5 founders.

Last year, we hosted it in College Park at the Union. The plan was that the Zetas would take the Metro to College Park. The in house sisters would meet the girls at the metro and walk all the way to the Union. Well, that's 2 miles. In heels and up some hills. Oh yeah, it POURED that day, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise since it scrapped the walking plan. Our VPAR just asked everyone with a car to drive to the Metro and pack as many Zetas in our cars as we could.

Random not important memories from last Founders' day:
1. The 3 girls I took in my car were all freshmen who were pledging. I remember just thinking, "Wow, freshmen in the fall, so weird!" (We haven't had a freshman pledge in the fall since 2004, and this year I think we have 4 freshmen out of 14 NMs)
2. It was the first time I had ever eaten grits, or for that matter, SEEN grits. They were very cheesy and delicious.

ETA: Founders' day in SoCal looks sweet.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
We make "elaborate" productions out of Founders Day as well and why shouldn't we? It is a celebration of the founding of our sorority. We want to make it special. Like you, the alumnae chapters rotate each year in who is hosting and how they are putting it on but it generally tends to stay the same as in renting out a ballroom somewhere nice, catered lunch, speeches, and of course, all the fabulous SK merchandise that's sold.

This year, my alumnae chapter is hosting at an amazing winery, resort, & spa. I'm excited about it.

Here are some pictures of the place. Living in Southern California sure does have its advantages!

I was debating going but now that I've seen those pictures the pro column is getting a little longer!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If you go, we can meet up.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

VOILA! Founders Day has come and gone and I took some pictures to share with you ladies.

This is the picture of the winery. It looks exactly like the picture I found online previously. I almost laughed when I realized it. The place is gorgeous.

Mike painted the letters for us to have ready and here they are. Pretty!

One of the tables. You can't see them but the gifts we gave to each sisters were Sigma Kappa luggage tags as our theme was "Oh the places you'll go!" Everyone loved them and as my alumnae chapter hosted the event, I was lucky enough to "get" three luggage tags.

I have lots more pictures but I feel weird posting pictures of myself so instead, they are all on my myspace under Friends Only so look for them there. It's neat b/c you can see my SK pins and my SK lavaliere.-
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is the picture of the luggage tags we gave as gifts.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

BetteDavisEyes: Awesome pictures. I hope everyone had a great time! I would love for you to send the picture of the letters in front of the Inn to Virtual Violet so that others could see it. It would be perfect for Simply Sisterhood - Symbols and Sister Sightings. Just email it to virtualviolet@sigmakappa.org along with the details!
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't even think of doing that but now, consider it done.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

aw, those pictures look great! they make me miss so cal, and my chapter - way to go theta epsilon! i wish i could have been there.. and those luggage tags are super cute.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The collegiate chapter nearest me hosts a luncheon at the country club and have little games for us to play. Sometimes a sister will sing and there's a senior slide show. It's so great, and the ladies do an amazing job!