GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,531
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Deltatau77
» Online Users: 1,694
1 members and 1,693 guests
Lupine
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

"Fratty"

To steal another poster's post from a long time ago in a thread that got closed down almost immediately.

"I'm sure IU or Michigan or (Enter other large school here) may have strong greek systems, but its of a different sort. I'm sure they've got some successful groups, but the whole culture is not the same greek culture I enjoyed as an undergrad. If the best chapters at a particular school are filled with guys sporting hollister and abercrombie to go with their hair gel and lowered Honda Civic, I can't really say that the greek system is anything like what I consider good. One of my favorite things about fraternity life (in the south and a select few other places) is that some things are just classic. To start with, the fraternity houses. They usually are large and beautiful, with classic architecture and nice furnishings. Sure they get beat up sometimes but they are instantly recognizable, and aren't just any other house with letters put up and a keg on the porch. Another classic aspect is the dress. Contrary to what people may say, greeks in the south don't dress a certain way because they are blind lemmings, but because it is a purposeful and adult way to dress. I always liked knowing that if I ran into a congressman or CEO while I was at a bar or event (both have happened) I could make a good impression without looking like I was 17 years old and at a rap concert. I'm sure in some parts of the country you can wear a hollister shirt and cargo shorts and get away with it, but there are expectations in the south for how adults should present themselves. Another classic aspect is the presence of strong tradition. Look to KA's Old South for an example, or any strong southern chapter's regular formal in a historic city (Charleston, New Orleans, Savannah). We even enjoy different music. People from outside the south always comment on how weird the music we like is, but I enjoy the comments. On a recent trip a bus driver commented on the lack of top 40 songs played, but rather the abundance of Zeppelin, Dylan, Van Morrison, Robert Earl Keen, and Widespread Panic. We don't expect every chapter in the country to act this way, but I don't understand how people view it as a bad thing. What is wrong with promoting maturity?"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Ok. So?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to start a thread discussing the differences between northern and southern fraternities, there seems to be a lot of bad blood there.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
To steal another poster's post from a long time ago in a thread that got closed down almost immediately.
This should already tell you that this thread is not going to work.

The problem is that instead of "discussing" the differences, it just turns into attacking - which has really started in post #1. Your paragraph that you stole from your thread long ago is pretty inflammatory. If this thread continues past the first page, the terms "guido" and "redneck" will be used, and it will get ugly.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

The difference = some are in the South and others are in the North.

DUH.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you obsess overmuch with power and wealth in those vaunted Southern chapters. My personal view is that I don't give a crap what a member wears so long as he conducts himself according to the very high expectations of his active brothers and alumni. Who cares if he drives a lowered Honda? Who cares if he shops at certain stores in the mall? Those are utterly stupid reasons to consider oneself better than another person. Hair gel? Are you kidding me?

For all your hoity-toity holier-than-thou-ness, you seem to forget that part of having class is being able to not judge a book by its cover.

I guess you're a-okay with a serial rapist in your house so long as he only wears the pony, and other similar brands, wouldn't disturb his well-kept mane with any sort of artificial product, only drinks the finest single malt scotch whiskeys, and drives a late-model BMW and has an allowance from his parents which is high enough to maintain a fratty lifestyle?

There are excellent chapters nationwide. My own chapter is pretty southern-oriented, and yes, image is something we are conscious of (as like it or not, that has a direct effect on the overall success of your operation). I think, however, that our primary criterion in membership selection is character -- definitely not wealth or upbringing, and we do quite well.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

oy. i'm going to go with DSTCHAOS on this one.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like this topic continues to be brought up until northern greeks say "Yeah we suck. I wish we were just like you." It's stupid. There are going to be positives and negative about every system. It's life.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

east, west; north, south; tomAto, tomAHto; potAto, potAHto; let's call the whole thing off!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
17 years old and at a rap concert.
The real point of all this "fratty" nonsense.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Guess what? If you meet a Congressman or a CEO in a bar...you both are in a bar! The fact that you are in a fraternity has nothing to do with that. If you make a good impression that could possibly reflect on you org but it's mostly an indicator that you haven't had too many drinks.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It sounds like you obsess overmuch with power and wealth in those vaunted Southern chapters. My personal view is that I don't give a crap what a member wears so long as he conducts himself according to the very high expectations of his active brothers and alumni. Who cares if he drives a lowered Honda? Who cares if he shops at certain stores in the mall? Those are utterly stupid reasons to consider oneself better than another person. Hair gel? Are you kidding me?

For all your hoity-toity holier-than-thou-ness, you seem to forget that part of having class is being able to not judge a book by its cover.

I guess you're a-okay with a serial rapist in your house so long as he only wears the pony, and other similar brands, wouldn't disturb his well-kept mane with any sort of artificial product, only drinks the finest single malt scotch whiskeys, and drives a late-model BMW and has an allowance from his parents which is high enough to maintain a fratty lifestyle?

There are excellent chapters nationwide. My own chapter is pretty southern-oriented, and yes, image is something we are conscious of (as like it or not, that has a direct effect on the overall success of your operation). I think, however, that our primary criterion in membership selection is character -- definitely not wealth or upbringing, and we do quite well.
I agree that character is the primary criterion in membership selection, wealth and upbringing are minor factors for my chapter although I know that old row chapters at the SEC schools are very focused on this. We do prefer for our members to dress a certain way as to keep a certain image for us. We prefer dressing fratty to wearing our letters, people can just tell when guys are in fraternities and girls are in sororities here.
The main thing I want to know is are there any fratty chapters at northern schools? Being in Big12 country doesn't count either, I'm talking about the Big 10 and northern ACC schools here.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
Guess what? If you meet a Congressman or a CEO in a bar...you both are in a bar! The fact that you are in a fraternity has nothing to do with that. If you make a good impression that could possibly reflect on you org but it's mostly an indicator that you haven't had too many drinks.
I didn't actually meet a congressman or CEO in a bar, I stole someone elses post. I did meet Charlie Crist at big daddy's once but I didn't want to disturb him.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
I agree that character is the primary criterion in membership selection, wealth and upbringing are minor factors for my chapter although I know that old row chapters at the SEC schools are very focused on this. We do prefer for our members to dress a certain way as to keep a certain image for us. We prefer dressing fratty to wearing our letters, people can just tell when guys are in fraternities and girls are in sororities here.
The main thing I want to know is are there any fratty chapters at
northern schools? Being in Big12 country doesn't count either, I'm talking about the Big 10 and northern ACC schools here.
If I ever met a guy at Penn State (there were 52 fraternities there when I was there) who called himself "fratty", I would have laughed in his face. And I don't get why you all want to play dress up every day and look the same -- don't you want to be distinguishable between houses? And couldn't perps just wear nice clothes and pretend to be in the "fratty" ranks? I always thought the good-looking guys in their letters or backwards caps looked great. I'd look askance at guys who looked like they got up "extra early" just to iron their slacks and get ready for class. If you can't "roll and go" and look good, I don't care what brand collared shirt you're wearing.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't actually meet a congressman or CEO in a bar, I stole someone elses post. I did meet Charlie Crist at big daddy's once but I didn't want to disturb him.
I think it was a general statement.
Closed Thread