GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,576
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, funcheeto
» Online Users: 1,947
4 members and 1,943 guests
MSKKG, Pinkmagnolia921, PrettyBoy

Old 07-01-2005, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Help!

Would you guys attend this? Our Greek Life Office is bringing a guy on campus to talk about recrutiment skills. He's supposedly for the Fraternities but they're requiring our exec attends, and they would "prefer" it if every chapter has a good showing. I think it's called Recruit or Die. Anyone know anything about it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-01-2005, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know who the speaker is or what organization he is from? Last summer our nat'l had a similar kind of speaker at our leadership seminar. I can't recall his name off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could find it somewhere. His organization runs "Recruitment Bootcamp" if anyone has heard of this.

Honestly, when I first heard about him I thought it would be a waste of my time because he focused primarily on COR for small houses and campuses. Turned out he was fascinating. Everything he said was right on target about how the Greek system needs to change it's approach to recruiting new members. I personally think every campus would benefit from a speaker like this.

Odds are slim that this is the same guy/organization I saw. But I strongly recommend you give it a shot. Someone who focuses solely on recruitment may bring you some brilliant ideas and more importantly insights on how to improve your individual GLO's and whole campus' recruitment.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, there's some threads about that guy, i forget his name. he's a sig ep. Personally, I thought he was a prick. A lot of what he said was true, but he delivered some of it in a very prickish way and I didn't agree with some things he had to say.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:07 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=stollman
Old 07-01-2005, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

You're talking about David Stollman. He and his company Campuspeak created "Recruitment Boot Camp"...the slogan is "Recruit or Die". He's a great speaker. Yes, he says some things that might piss some people off. He recently presented at AST's Officer Academy regarding GLO's living up to their values and standards. He challenged us to be different...to not give "anti-GLO"/media ammo against us. One part of the presentation involved the negative pictures that are being posted on the internet now. He specifically included negative AST pictures in his presentation.

Did it piss a few sisters off that they were displayed on a huge presentation screen in front of everyone else? Probably. It was their own damn fault for letting it be on the world wide web for the universe to see in the first place though (if you were there and read this...yes, that chapter could have thrown a fit and probably gotten the pic removed...question is "did they try?" Or were they proud of it being there? That's one of the points as well). His point was that if it hadn't been there, he would not have found it, and it couldn't be used against us. There's a LOT of things GLOs do that shoot ourselves in the foot. Then we complain about how others view us. We gotta give them something different to view. (Don't know if RBC will include that same info or not...this wasn't an RBC presentation).

And he told us to "Be the cow". If you haven't seen his presentation, I won't give that away.

I'd pay attention if you find yourself getting pissed off at something he says. Chances are, there's a reason your pissed...and unless he's calling you names or throwing insults, that reason is something internal to you. Don't just dismiss what the statement is because it made you mad...explore why it made you mad (the thread that 33girl linked to is a good example of processing through that pissed off feeling and getting to the deeper message (except for a few posts! ))

Go to the presentation and let us know how it is. I'm facilitating RBC next week...can't wait!

PsychTau

Last edited by PsychTau2; 07-01-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Saw him at the University of Puget Sound Greek Summit. We had a fun chat afterwards. He is a good speaker and said some things that made you go hmmmmmmm
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kwazi19
Dave and JT for that matter will definately say some interesting things, but overall the program they put on really enforces to students to get motivated when it comes to the Recruitment Process. I had the opportunity last year to attend the professional staff Recruitment Boot Camp and I will be facilitating a Recruitment Boot Camp at Purdue this July
Old 07-13-2005, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I was at the OA w/Teena and it was amazing. Ok so I had to miss the last part to get the airport shuttle, but still...both my chapter and the one I advise got a nice boost of energy and motivation from him.
Just curious, but why not attend, what is the worst thing that could happen? You get mad? That happens anyway.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
I am a facilitator for the recruitment boot camp this weekend in houston. as has already been mentioned, they are the same thing - boot camp is done at a neutral location, like a hotel, and the Recruit or Die is done at a campus. i have my facilitator manual and it is really good. I've been to a couple of Dave's presentations at the Western Regional Greek Conference this april.

You WILL be challenged to change your way of thinking, which can be a good thing! And you will most likely get pissed off at stuff he says, especially if you (or anyone who attends) thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way your chapter operates. He is very stratightfoward and uses a no-BS approach to his presentations.

I think you will enjoy it and your campus shelled out some serious cash for the program! More and more Headquarters are having this guy talk at their conventions, so they must see a value in it too!

Tell your guys to go in that as many need to go as possible and to go into it with an open mind!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My nationals brought in that Sig Ep guy for my chapter a few years ago. He's a good speaker, I no bs kinda guy. He's a good speaker and it's fun
Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
just got back from RBC.....turns out you might not have david stollman do the presentation. there are a variety of facilitators who do the presentations. there are just too many requests for him to do all of the workshops.....either way, the facilitators are all trained very well and it was a great time!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 PM

I've been to this. In my opinion it's a good seminar if you come from a school where Greek Life isn't huge and the interest is sometimes lacking.

Lakers Nation.