GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,562
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, BernadineB
» Online Users: 1,036
0 members and 1,036 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Thoughts on House Bunny - Villains are "Phi Mu"

In the new movie the House Bunny, the mean girl sorority on campus are the Phi Iota Mu sisters -- "Phi Mu" for short.

Apparently, there's been some outrage about this (and likewise from Zeta Tau Alpha, which publicly denounced the movie on their national website). What are your thoughts?

Personally I want to see this movie because I love all things Greek - even if the depiction is grossly inaccurate. On the other hand, I hate when non-Greeks use silly things like Hollywood comedies to support arguments that Greeks are shallow and superficial. AND the use of Phi Mu seems a bit unfair and irresponsible of the filmmakers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I do want to see this movie, however I did not realize that Phi Mu was represented in it. That really sucks. Maybe I wont go see it now. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi mu in house bunny..

Hey girls, I was just wondering if your sorority (or Fraternity) is taking any action against Sony Pictures for this blatant use of your trademarked material? I think it is horrendous how they are exploiting 2 wonderful and well established organizations. If they ripped of "coca Cola" or some other major organization; I can guarantee there would be legal repercussion. Why shoudl this be any different?
I know our Fraternity's official stance is basically we're annoyed you're using our stuff........well, now what?! Sony Pictures hasn't responded.
I am all for supporting Greek themed movies, etc; but I draw the line at a picture like this!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
As far as I understand, I have not heard anything official for HQ. (I have known about this movie and the issue since January).

Unlike Zeta Tau Alpha (who have released a letter of concern), we haven't had the alleged copy cat group feature as prominently in the advertisements, etc. I only hope that during the movie they don't actually use the term "Phi Mu" at all but so far that's what they appear to be intending to do.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Using the names adds authenticity to the movie; I hate hearing fake Greek names in TV shows and movies, it's one of my pet peeves. The real sisters of Phi Mu represent the organization, not the characters of a screwball comedy.

And I want to see it, I think it looks like a fun movie.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Please do not support this movie

When I was watching the preview, I noticed that Phi Mu might also be parodied along with Zeta Tau Alpha. I immediately emailed our national headquarters to find out more information. Below is the email I sent and the response that I got. While The House Bunny looks like it could be a funny movie, I will not spend my money to support a movie that would purposefully defame the names of two wonderful Fraternities for women. I hope that you will do the same.

Hello,
I am sure that our national fraternity leaders are aware of the upcoming release of the movie The House Bunny. I was recently informed by a friend of mine who is a ZTA alumn that the ZTA nationals has taken steps towards contacting the Sony Pictures corporation in regards to alluding to the ZTA sorority with the Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority characters who are referred to as "Zetas" in the movie. In watching a preview, I noticed the rose letters of the sorority Phi Iota Mu. In researching online, I found that the Phi Iota Mu sisters are referred to as "Phi Mu" and are portrayed as the villains of the plot. I was wondering if our national HQ planning on contacting Sony Pictures as well. I love Greek themed movies when they are entirely fictional, but having sorority and fraternity names that are directly linked to those that truly exist is taking it a bit too far. Phi Mu Fraternity is a wonderful organization, and we should not be compared to the actions and personalities of fictional characters. Please let me know if any actions regarding this movie are taken. Thank you so much for your time.

Ehren

Here is the response:
Ehren,
Our attorneys have been working on this film since it was brought to our attention over 2 years ago. That’s one of the reasons that one of the chapters is called Phi Iota Mu. Supposedly we are not shown in a “bad light”.

Thank you for your concern! Just remember, don’t buy a ticket (that would be supporting the movie) and especially, tell your male friends not to do to the movie! It looks like a very stupid movie; but sex sells, so we will have to see. Have you ever watched ‘Greek’ on TV? Please don’t—that’s another poor person’s opinion of Greek life.

Thanks again for caring!
Jane
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still debating if I'm going to see it. Most likely if anything I'll catch it on DVD or even better, get my dad to see if he can find it on bootleg (so they aren't getting our money!)

I won't stop watching Greek though, it's not entirely false as far as I have noticed.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the best sign of a healthy sense of humor is the ability to laugh at oneself. I enjoy watching movies like this and the television Greek because I know the truth and can laugh at how silly the public perception is.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that we should be able to have a sense of humor about Greek life. I do enjoy the show Greek and movies like Sorority Boys etc. because they are sometimes accurate but often over the top and mostly exaggerated. However, the point here is that they are making direct attacks on specific sororities and not making a joke of Greek life in general. The greek letters, colors, and common titles of these sororities were chosen purposefully. These allusions are intentional, and that is the issue.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

GOOD NEWS (Allegedly)

According to someone (who I do not know personally) who HAS seen the movie, the name is ALWAYS said, written, displayed as Phi Iota Mu. There is not (according to this person) any reference to a "Phi Mu" in this film!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

House Bunny Synopsis

Okay-girls, I saw the movie. Let me just say-it wasn't that bad. I laughed at the inaccuracies of the film so, if you wanted to see it and don't want it ruined for you-close your eyes because here it comes...

Okay, so you know the general idea is that the girls of Zeta are going to lose their house. One thing I thought that was funny and inaccurate was how the Phi Iota Mus (which were in fact called Phi Iota Mus-and they even wore letters with all three on) picked up the Zeta bids when the Zeta girl, Lilly, was distracted by a hot guy. They threw her bids out and Lilly was left with nothing but, she was told by the man at the post office window that her bids were sent out when someone picked them up for her. Surprise-no one comes!

1.) I have never heard of mailing out bids-but, that's not how they do it at a Big Ten university, I guess.

2.) Since Lilly could later state it was one of the Phi Iota Mu girls-that would be against Panhellneic and they could be fined....the end.

3.) At the end of the movie when Shelly asks for 30 new pledges at the meeting where they are going to foreclose on the Zeta house, 30 girls stand up and say, "I wanna' be a Zeta!" It does not work like that...I'm sorry!

4.) Of course, when they need the LAST pledge for a total of 30 girls or they will be shut down because only 29 raised their hand....the 1 Phi Iota Mu girl says, "I'm sick of Phi Iota Mu and how you treat me...I wanna' be a Zeta!"....This would CLEARLY never happen in an NPC. To top that off-if the dean was going to shut down the house because they needed 30 pledges and they could only come up with 29 after having a house of 7 girls total, I doubt he would say..."Sorry-you need 30!"

I laughed at it and explained to my boyfriend why it was too funny. Think about the logic. Either way-it was cute and I might buy the movie later but, anything is better than the Omega Moos from Revenge of the Nerds...Now, that's a movie I would make an issue of because as soon as I told my aunt and a few of her friends what sorority I joined she said, "Omega Moos? Like from Revenge of the Nerds?" Ugh-NO!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hand1Heart View Post
1.) I have never heard of mailing out bids-but, that's not how they do it at a Big Ten university, I guess.

2.) Since Lilly could later state it was one of the Phi Iota Mu girls-that would be against Panhellneic and they could be fined....the end.

3.) At the end of the movie when Shelly asks for 30 new pledges at the meeting where they are going to fore close on the Zeta house, 30 girls stand up and say, "I wanna' be a Zeta!" It does not work like that...I'm sorry!

4.) Of course, when they need the LAST pledge for a total of 30 girls or they will be shut down because only 29 raised their hand....the 1 Phi Iota Mu girl says, "I'm sick of Phi Iota Mu and how you treat me...I wanna' be a Zeta!"....This would CLEARLY never happen in an NPC. To top that off-if the dean was going to shut down the house because they needed 30 pledges and they could only come up with 29 after having a house of 7 girls total, I doubt he would say..."Sorry-you need 30!"!
Did you notice the other "familiar" frats? Kappa Eta Sigma (Kappa Sigma) and Gamma Rho (Alpha Gamma Rho). I know there were others, but I don't remember!

As I stated in the Entertainment section, the movie was harmless! Anyone with a sense of humor would have just blew it off their shoulders. It was cute, but I was expecting more...more college stuff...more sorority stuff...just more!

Dreams do come true when your an American.
Congratulations President and Vice President Elect, Barack Obama and Joe Biden!