GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,570
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, asydneshtolzez6
» Online Users: 2,579
1 members and 2,578 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Did she get a bid anywhere?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Sleepy PNM

About two months ago my chapter was having a Pajama Party/ Movie Night COR event. Since our school doesnt allow greeks to have houses we were having our event in a classroom in the business school. As pnms walked in me the recruitment chair and the membership chair welcomed the girls. We noticed that one of the girls had like a really big back pack on. We thought it was weird but didnt really say any thing. All of the girls were talking and getting food getting ready to sit down to pick the movie we were going to watch. I would say it has been maybe like 10mins since the pnms have come in so it is time for us to pass out the info sheet for the girls to fill out. So I walk around making sure I every girl gets a sheet when i realize I cant find that girl with the big backpack on. So then I walk to the front of the room and guess who I find the missing pnm. This girl came to our recruitment event and went to sleep before the movie even started. She laid on the floor a yoga mat and a sheet then she laid on top of the with an extra sheet and pillow and honestly went to sleep. WHO DOES THAT!!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

There usually is so we don't know how she got in, but there are so many girls that go through that it's hard to keep track of who goes to what party, so we believe that she just showed up with the group that was supposed to be at that party and came in with the rest of the group. And I do think she got a bid somewhere, I just don't know where. I was glad that she didn't show up at pref, I guess that when she got her schedule for pref and saw that we didn't give her another chance, she just gave up.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirl06 View Post
About two months ago my chapter was having a Pajama Party/ Movie Night COR event. Since our school doesnt allow greeks to have houses we were having our event in a classroom in the business school. As pnms walked in me the recruitment chair and the membership chair welcomed the girls. We noticed that one of the girls had like a really big back pack on. We thought it was weird but didnt really say any thing. All of the girls were talking and getting food getting ready to sit down to pick the movie we were going to watch. I would say it has been maybe like 10mins since the pnms have come in so it is time for us to pass out the info sheet for the girls to fill out. So I walk around making sure I every girl gets a sheet when i realize I cant find that girl with the big backpack on. So then I walk to the front of the room and guess who I find the missing pnm. This girl came to our recruitment event and went to sleep before the movie even started. She laid on the floor a yoga mat and a sheet then she laid on top of the with an extra sheet and pillow and honestly went to sleep. WHO DOES THAT!!

You win!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu View Post
There usually is so we don't know how she got in, but there are so many girls that go through that it's hard to keep track of who goes to what party, so we believe that she just showed up with the group that was supposed to be at that party and came in with the rest of the group. And I do think she got a bid somewhere, I just don't know where. I was glad that she didn't show up at pref, I guess that when she got her schedule for pref and saw that we didn't give her another chance, she just gave up.
I'd bet the Phi Mus told her recruitment counselor, who read her the riot act. I'm just ! Next year when she's rushing as a sister somewhere, she's going to realize how shocking a deed that was and be super-embarrassed.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirl06 View Post
Be glad you didn't have a Sex and the City themed party.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Sorority Info Night is a week or so before recruitment. All the sororities have tables set up, and PNMs can walk around and talk to the members or ask questions. They also get to meet their PXs and get a recruitment book/orientation schedule. For girls who haven't signed up yet, they can meet sorority women and decide if this is something they want to do.

During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND. He wasn't just there hanging around waiting on her. He was walking around to tables with her holding her hand! We thought it was a tad odd that she'd bring her bf to a such a girly event.

She came over to our table and we were chatting her up. She was a 2nd year freshman and she had transfered to KSU to be with him, and she said he came along because he wanted to make sure "the sororities weren't full of crazy drunk girls" before he would be okay with her joining one.

She asked some other questions too like, "If I live in the house, can he stay overnight, because we're used to being together alot?" or "Do I have to go to events with other guys at them, because I have a boyfriend."

This was incredibly awkward. Imagine talking to a PNM whose bf is attached to her hip. She'd ask a question, then interrupt the person answering her because he'd say something. Or HE WOULD ask questions like "Now if she joins a sorority, how much time is that going to take up in her schedule?" or "Can she have a boyfriend and be in a sorority?" Why are YOU asking questions for her??

I actually heard her ask a Panhellenic Exec member "Now if I sign up to do this, can he come to the parties with me?" Obviously the Exec girl said no.
This must not have been the right answer because Boyfriend Girl ended up not signing up.

She visited a few chapters that spring for COB and guess who she brought to the events? Yep, the boyfriend. She ended up not being invited to further events with any of them.

One of my grandlittles is in her major, and says that she is still with him and they're engaged.

I think I could understand if he was just walking around with her at the info event, since she was new at school and probably didn't know a lot of people yet. Sometimes just having someone next to you is a confidence boost. After that though... yeah, the story starts to get weird. Really weird.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

She visited a few chapters that spring for COB and guess who she brought to the events? Yep, the boyfriend. She ended up not being invited to further events with any of them.
Was the boyfriend "checked at the door" or did he awkwardly come in with Boyfriend Girl to the parties and talk to actives with her?

You always have the craziest stories, KSUViolet!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Just curious if this has happened anywhere else. This fall, we just gotten finished with our skit and I was walking around and I notice this one pnm was sitting alone. I thought maybe her girl hadn't made it back to her yet, so I started talking to her. She was really sweet and kept on talking about how much she loved us and wanted to come back for pref. Well, after the party I went to find out if anyone else knew who she was and it turned out, we had cut her the night before! Apparently she snuck in during the party hoping we would give her another chance! Luckily she didn't show up the next night.
In any of my recruitment experiences, this never happened. There are PX's standing outside at all times, so it's impossible for someone to sneak into a party.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Was the boyfriend "checked at the door" or did he awkwardly come in with Boyfriend Girl to the parties and talk to actives with her?
The women in the chapters she visited said that he actually CAME IN to the events. One event was a movie and she insisted that he watch with them, and they said it would be better if he didn't. So she had to take him home and come back. But she was visibly upset and apparently texted him throughout the whole thing!

Another event was an open house at a different sorority, and he accompanied her there also. He ended up having to wait outside and she was talking to him on the phone for half of it and left early.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot this one...its embarrassing but cute...

So one of the sisters is rushing a PNM and they were talking about their favorite tv shows. The sister says something to the effect that she really likes Sex In The City...the PNM, says "OMG I love SEX!" loud enough for several other sisters to hear. The PNM turned bright red and was like "I mean Sex In the City...I really like Sex In the City...the tv show...." The sister was totally comforting and told her she knew what she ment and not to be embarrassed. We ended up inviting the PNM to the next round and she happily came back!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I forgot this one...its embarrassing but cute...

So one of the sisters is rushing a PNM and they were talking about their favorite tv shows. The sister says something to the effect that she really likes Sex In The City...the PNM, says "OMG I love SEX!" loud enough for several other sisters to hear. The PNM turned bright red and was like "I mean Sex In the City...I really like Sex In the City...the tv show...." The sister was totally comforting and told her she knew what she ment and not to be embarrassed. We ended up inviting the PNM to the next round and she happily came back!
Hahaha that's totally something I would say! I have a tendency to trip over my words sometimes...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND.
<snip>
Wow. That would not have been allowed at my school.

We did have a PNM come through COB one year - she was a freshman, and she was engaged (almost unheard of at my school). She attended our COB events without her fiance. We offered her a bid - and then she told us that, before she could accept, we had to convince her fiance to let her pledge! Fast forward a few months - she realized it really was her decision, not his, pledged, was initiated - and she and her fiance broke up.

Quote:
<snip> ... we had cut her the night before! Apparently she snuck in during the party hoping we would give her another chance! Luckily she didn't show up the next night.
That wouldn't have happened at my school either. All our events were held in rooms in the student center. There was a desk outside each room, and each PNM had to sign in, which meant checking her name off on a list and taking a name tag that had been already prepared for her. (PNMs got standard-issue name tags from Panhel for day one, but after that, sororities made their own name tags for the PNMs.) One or two alums minded the desk to make sure everyone signed in and no one entered after the party started. If a PNM had managed to sneak in, she would have been picked out right away because she wouldn't have a name tag.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a PNM come through formal rush my sophomore year that was quite interesting and different. The PNM happened to be a legacy to our sorority. I didn't see her the first round (philanthropy), but I did see her the second round and knew she seemed familiar but couldn't place where I had seen her face before. I don't know about you, but when I know someone is familiar I can't place them so I kept racking my brain trying to remember where I had seen this girl from. She had been very quiet during rush and really hadn't said much. Finally after the second round when I got back to my room and I saw the school newspaper and remembered where I had seen her. She had an article in the newspaper because she was a 16/17 year old who was going to IUP for graduate school. After attending and graduating from Penn State. After the third round I informed my sisters of this because she had not mentioned it to anyone accept to some PNMs at the Info meeting(our sisters that were PX's had heard about her but didn't know what she looked like). Our Chapter invited her back to Preference Round even though we had to contact nationals after the 3rd round because we weren't sure what to do because our sorority doesn't allow graduate students to pledge. The active sisters were also concerned about her not being 18 for at least another year as well.

Well drop down to bid day. We weren't able to extend her a bid, since she was in graduate school and there were only two NPC sororities on campus that allowed graduate students to join their sororities. Unfortunately, some of the sisters and I were looking to see if she had gotten a bid from someone else but she didn't. I honestly don't think she was disappointed though, because I think she had just gone through recruitment for her mom. Her mom had been in Zeta Tau Alpha and she wanted her daughter to experience it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl View Post
Well drop down to bid day. We weren't able to extend her a bid, since she was in graduate school and there were only two NPC sororities on campus that allowed graduate students to join their sororities. Unfortunately, some of the sisters and I were looking to see if she had gotten a bid from someone else but she didn't. I honestly don't think she was disappointed though, because I think she had just gone through recruitment for her mom. Her mom had been in Zeta Tau Alpha and she wanted her daughter to experience it.
Finally a (semi)appropriate time to say this: There's always AI. If her mom really wanted her to be a Zeta, and the sisters liked her, I don't see a reason why she couldn't be OFFERED AI, assuming she meets all of Zeta's other AI requirements and there was someone willing to sponsor her. Of course by now, this is just an afterthough.