GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,586
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, AIHAnderso
» Online Users: 2,174
0 members and 2,174 guests
No Members online

Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Possibility of starting a new chapter (ΔΚΕ)?

Good afternoon. I am writing because I thought I'd share some thought with you guys regarding my current ideas involving campus Greek Life.

Okay, right now, I go to a university with (***) fraternities on the IFC. Well, at the beginning of this school year, about one month ago, the idea came into my head that maybe it was time to look into the possibility of joining one. Being athletic, smart, achieving and good looking, I've always kind of felt that I'd quite possibility join one eventually, that had actually been on my mind since later in high school. In fact, I got an invitation to check out my school's chapter of Phi Gamma Delta once but declined to pursue it because I didn't feel ready, "next year", I thought.

Anyway, to make a long story short, finding the right fraternity has been a subject of attention for me for the past month. I really wish I had started doing my research on this earlier, but oh well, you can't change the past.

Well, I have talked to some of the members of the various fraternities, and still don't feel like I've made any progress. Not that they haven't been really cool, they have, but I can't seem to find a group that fits what I'm looking for. (******) is the group that I am most interested in, not just because its members seem to dominate the school scene (which they do in many campuses, as you know), but because of the fraternity's networking connections in the Ivy League world, as I want to go to a Yale professional school. Unfortunately, (*****) at my school is currently suspended, for violations so severe that I cannot in good conscience join this chapter, even after the suspension is lifted, what a shame.

In addition to that, there are a few other fraternities on my campus that are suffering from other image problems as well, and it seems the components of the IFC there are not living up to their true purposes.

Nonetheless, I still aspire to take my place in greek life, as one should not underestimate its potential benefits. Not to mention the NPC groups on the other hand, are doing a phenomenal job at my school, so greek life must still have its strongpoints there.

So I'm thinking that starting a new chapter might be the answer. My primary interest is in Delta Kappa Epsilon, its age, prestige, and high number of prominant members catches my attention. This idea has been running through my head for a few weeks now. Doing this would serve several purposes, both personal and collective. The establishment of such a chapter here would serve to improve the image of greek life, which at my school, is viewed more negatively each year and under heavy watch by the school's administration. I understand it would be a lot of effort, and I still don't know if I'm even going to try; I'm going to spend the rest of the semester researching and thinking it over. But for now, I would like some advice on the idea, to see whether or not this could become a reality. If you ARE a Delta Kappa Epsilon, your advice would really help. Thank you, and have a great day!

-Jens

P.S. I apologise for the sheer length of this post, it was the only way to adequately explain my experience and ideas.

Last edited by JensLindgren; 10-01-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Firstly:

I suggest that you IMMEDIATELY change the names of the fraternities in your post. There is no reason to call them out by name.

Secondly, it doesn't seem like you've really explored all your options. Have you really hung out with each fraternity enough to know the members?