GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,585
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, ztaylorgoglet22
» Online Users: 1,898
0 members and 1,898 guests
No Members online

Old 11-24-1999, 10:14 PM
CHfrat

Question How do I start a high school fraternity

A bunch of my friends and I want to create a fraternity at our high school. I was wondering if you could give me some information on how to start one. What will I have to do to get one established? How should I obtain a charter for a frat? What other steps are involved in organizing a fraternity. I uld greatly appreciate it if you could answer the questions and send me your reply to Kthota@hotmail.com

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-1999, 01:55 PM
TauCUTIE9

Cool

Sorry Chfrat, you cannot start a fraternity when you are in high school. In order to start a fraternity you must be attending a college or university. That are NPC and IFC requirements, the only thing you can do in hish school is just have a club for your friends...without the greek lettering. Sorry and good luck to you when you do reach college!!
P.S. I know this because I happen to be a sorority sister and President of The Panhellenic Council at my university.
Old 11-29-1999, 11:01 AM
Artimis

I vaguly remeber stumbling across some fraternal organizations at high school level. I can only suggest to spend a few hours doing a bit of web research.

I would suggest - as with establishing a new organization - you will need to gain permission from the school administration and find a faculty advisor before proceeding. In order to do this you will need a purpose for the groups existance (ie what need is this organization going to serve that current ones don't). Many organizations, non-fraternal, exist that may serve your needs.

If your purpose is for fellowship or service, I would sugguest looking into a service organizations such as habitat for humanity or 4H-club. Both organizations are structured not only to give community but to have memebers grow in fellowship thru service.
If your purpose is more social, organizations such as the boys club, might be something you might consider looking into at a high school level.

If your looking for an organization for just your friends, you will probalby find it difficult to establish.

Good Luck

Artimis

[This message has been edited by Artimis (edited November 29, 1999).]
Old 11-29-1999, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you will find that most school administrators and faculty will frown on the idea of starting a fraternity or sorority in a high school. Do not expect to receive a warm reception to the idea.
Old 11-29-1999, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I've run across references to high school fraternities before. Most of what I gathered was that they were subrosa groups (secret and not condoned by the school) as well as pretty violent (in their hazing and initiations), almost gang-like.

I think it's best to hold off on the fraternity stuff until you get to college.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Hold on!!! Wat a minute!! There ARE fraternities at the high school level. There are two at my Alma mater of Southern High School in Durham, N.C. For the boys there's Theta Phi Psi anf for girls there's Theta Phi Delta. They follow similar guidelines as collegiate ones and wear letters, have a pledge period, perform step shows, the whole nine yards. So, to answer your question, YES THEY DO EXIST!
Old 03-20-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

actually, High school fraternity's and sororities do exsist, and a lot of sororities(I am not sure whether fraternities do it) sponsor high school students as a lower level part of their organization. But there is quite a few high school fraternities.
To the orginal poster, do a lot of research, and figure out what exactly, you want your group to stand for , and other such information. If you need help with research drop me a line.

One and Always Delta Gamma Pi MC Sorority
Old 03-20-2001, 12:51 AM
Unregistered-

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DGPhoney:
actually, High school fraternity's and sororities do exsist, and a lot of sororities(I am not sure whether fraternities do it) sponsor high school students as a lower level part of their organization.
DGPhoney, are you implying that sororities (at the collegiate level) sponsor high school girls and allow them to have status in their organization?

Please clarify!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Maybe I'll make it simple, some sororities at the college level, do sponsor high school students, as a "Lower Level " of their organization, not giving them collegiate status, but as almost a whole another group by it's self, but it is more high school related , as in helping them through school, and stuff like that, I don't know if th NPC side does that , but NPHC does have some groups affiliated with high school groups, when I was in high school a friend of mine was a rhoer, which was sponsored by a local sigma gamma rho chapter.
Thats what I meant by sponsor high school students being sponsored by a "collegiate sorority"

"Delta Gamma Pi Sorority, only the best"
Old 03-20-2001, 01:59 AM
Unregistered-

DGPhoney, thank you for clarifying that!

I know that my fraternity is not allowed to affiliate with high school groups, and though I am not too familiar with NPC policy I'm assuming that they do not allow that also?

Old 03-21-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
CHfrat,
There were two high school fraternities in my hometown. They were not based on a particular high school. Guys from all four high schools were allowed to be members. They were city chapters, not school chapters. The two we had were Delta Sigma and Sigma Phi Omega. If you are interested, I can find out contact information for you. Also, if the girls in your town want to start a sorority, I can help them, as I have contacts with the Delta Beta Sigma high school sorority.
All three GLOs were well-organized, with National Boards, rules, and rituals. They also had philanthropies. The girls' group is required to do at least one community service or philanthropy fund-raiser a month. The guys groups are not quite as active with philanthropies, but usually pitch in and help the girls. Hazing is against the rules, and most of the guidelines are aligned with those of NPC. Not on purpose, just using common sense.

[This message has been edited by tcsparky (edited March 20, 2001).]
Old 03-30-2001, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

hey CHFrat... you may want to look into your school's handbook and rules first also! I know that in my high school there were specific rules stating that fraternities and sororities were not allowed to be formed.

------------------
"Only the best wear the crown."
Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfrat
A bunch of my friends and I want to create a fraternity at our high school. I was wondering if you could give me some information on how to start one. What will I have to do to get one established? How should I obtain a charter for a frat? What other steps are involved in organizing a fraternity. I uld greatly appreciate it if you could answer the questions and send me your reply to Kthota@hotmail.com

Thanks
I was in a High School fraternity as well as a college fraternity. All things considered, I preferred the high school fraternity experience. A key part of that was many of us had been friends since since beginning school or at least since junior high. We pleged the fraternity we did knowing most of our pledge brothers and knowing about many of the members, some of whom were older brothers or neighbors.

My fraternity, and the others in my town as well as the high school sororities, were National organizations: we all had old rituals and chapters elsewhere.

HS fraternities exploded in number in the 1920s and survived both the Depression and WW2 in good shape, and they rebounded fully after WW2. They began to lose steam with the advent of the rock 'n' roll age and were almost swallowed by the turmoil of the 1960s and early 70s. By the late 1970s, few chapters survived of perhaps 5 or 6 HS fraternities, and most of those chapters had folded by the end of the 1980s.

Some of the HS fraternities that I know that had National organizations are, in alphbetical order: Delta Sigma, Gamma Delta Psi, Phi Kappa, Phi Sigma Chi, Phi Sigma Epsilon, Sigma Phi Omega, Theta Kappa Omega.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI...this thread is 6 years old.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfrat

Thanks

I had some advice, but this is from 7 years ago. If dude's still in HS there is a problem.