GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,575
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, aoganttsz2346
» Online Users: 1,866
1 members and 1,865 guests
Tridentia

Old 11-30-2001, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I've read threads of this nature for several months now. It's Friday, I've got a load of laundry going and some time.

I think it's great for those who think/say they are affiliated with an "elite" organization. It's human nature to constantly form a pecking order. BUT PEOPLE, this lasts for what-FOUR YEARS OF YOUR LIFE?!? (Not the time to discuss alum affiliation) Do you honestly believe, in the majority of cases, your PARTICULAR affiliation will change your destiny? We can argue till the cows come home about the LITTLE aspects that are affected, but I'm talking about the BIG PICTURE. Tom has it right-Greek is Greek and you should promote GREEK. Maybe it's because we are "OLD" and all the activities of our college life have taken a backseat to the here and now, but being in a great sorority on YOUR campus does-not-define-you. It doesn't come with a guarantee that your husband won't cheat on you, your kids will be beautiful and smart, your job will be a success and you'll live happily ever after. LIFE gets in the way and it boils down to what you have INSIDE. Life does NOT care if you were an XYZ at "Big $**t U" Four years, FOUR YEARS that's what all this fuss is about? Be happy you are a part of a SYSTEM that offers so many opportunities to grow as an individual and prepare you for what lies ahead. The next time anyone feels a bit "put down" by comments or some silly post, remember, after graduation you won't be wearing your letters all over the place, and frankly, most people just don't give a damn.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Talking

YEAH!!!YEAH!!!!Way to go, justamom!!!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Thumbs up

justamom... That is the best post I have read in a long time!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Gee...Thanks!
Old 11-30-2001, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to disagree. Just becasue you are in college for four years doesn't mean that's wear your letters stay.

I am a Kappa Delta until the day I die. I am more active now then I was in school.

My oppurtunities have only increased since my graduation and my alumna experiences will be the most rewarding part of my KD life. If it were not for active alumnae none of the our strongest organizations would be as strong or solid as they are today.

To say it wouldn't matter what group you joined and that it wouldn't have changed your destiny is unreal. Every NPC group is so different that any one change could have set your path on another road.

I didn't leave my Greek life behind at ECU and to say that this is not an important topic is well....

Some groups are stronger than others, that's life and we all need to deal with that fact. That doesn't mean you bash groups or hate others for their progress, it means we all learn and grow and sometimes rankings change....that's healthy.

If there is one thing I have learned from school it is that as things change daily, we have the responsibility to follow it in order to keep up with progress, who moved the cheese concept. If you notice the groups that are strong nationally...they keep up with the times and change along with their membership.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I do agree that going Greek is about much more than four years in college. Ideally, it is for life, and many people will continue to be involved at the alumni level, or, (like me) will get involved for the first time at the alumni level.

That said, I don't think the concept of "elite" matters at the alumni level like it does in college. Your social life as an alumna is not dictated by your chapter or the "prestige" of your organization.

I have met many women at the alumnae events I have attended so far. They come from different chapters at different schools, from all over the country. I know nothing about the different chapters -- I don't know whether any of them are considered "strong" or "weak" or "elite" on their campuses. I do know that this alumnae chapter is made up of intelligent, kind and interesting women, all of whom are people I would be proud to call sister. As someone pursuing alumna initiation, I chose an organization based upon its philanthropy, creed, presence of local collegiate chapters and the feeling I got learning about the organization. It didn't occur to me to wonder about whether it was "elite" or not, and truthfully, I don't care either way. I have been nothing but happy with my choice.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

justamom-If I had one tenth of your common sense, I could take over the world.

Your post made my day!!
Old 11-30-2001, 04:41 PM

Justamom.....as usual, a logical and well-grounded response! Amen!!!

LexiKD.....I understand what you are saying to an extent, but whether you want to believe this or not, Justamom is right for the most part. Let's just assume that KD is "THE" chapter on your campus....the one that all the guys pant over.....the one the best fraternities want mixers with.....it still will not guarantee that you will meet and marry your prince charming (if you haven't already), it will not guarantee you "elite" status for the rest of your life, and it will not guarantee your eternal happiness and success. Of course you will be a Kappa Delta til you die, and it's great that you feel so strongly. But the success of the chapter you are affiliated with can only go so far in affecting your whole life. I will concede that it can open some doors for you, or at least unlock them....but then it is up to you to push them wide open and go in and do what you can with it. I know girls who were "Little Miss $**t" in college, in one of the 3 "elite" chapters on campus, who seemed to have it all, who are leading lives most would consider the exact opposite of successful. And I know girls who were just nice, normal girls in weaker chapters, who weren't all that involved in the greek social scene and who didn't exactly have aline of hot guys out their door who now have it ALL. You do make a very good point, though, that alumni involvement is both very important and very fulfilling. I wish everyone had the same attitude about lifetime membership as you do....the strength of the alumni directly reflects upon the chapter and while your experience does change drastically from the "4 years" (or 5) you most certainly do not leave your letters behind you.

Ultimately, the purpose of this thread has been lost. But you know what......? None of us GCers is really qualified to answer the question honestly anyway. It could be answered, if some unbiased non-Greeks actually assessed the history and status of every chapter nationwide, but what would be the point? And it is something that could totally change in 20 years. As long as you get something out of your own greek experience and you are proud enough of your chapter to get on here and argue its "eliteness" then SOMETHING good is happening.

Last edited by ErikaXO; 11-30-2001 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy GEEZ

SELF IMPORTANCE IS UNDERWHELMING!

I did not want to associate with a Fraternity that was young when I started my Local and affiliated with LXA and have never looked back! Yes LXA was founded in 1909 so what!

While there are supposedly strong elites, on a campus by campus basis, there are week and strong! The wheel turns all of the time and sometimes you are on top and sometimes not!

We at one time were on top at my campus and now were are not! We are working on that!

You are with the people that you feel best with and really, that is what counts, AINT IT

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 11-30-2001 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Erica, I understand your points and justamom.

I just feel that your chapter and organization can affect your life. I have never said that joining a strong chapter at a school assures you a great life, by no means! I was part of a colony...not the strongest at the school(YET!), they are now just a year old...But by joining an organization that can guide you in the right direction is key...and by that I mean any of the NPC groups do so, but for me it was KD and I will always attribute my leadership and much of my success to KD and what she has given me.

If I had joined another group I am sure that I would be at a different point and not to mention different place for my career.

Last edited by LexiKD; 11-30-2001 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:17 PM

Lexi....I'm with you. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that some of the things that have happened in my life were a direct result of my being a Chi Omega. I also know that some of the things that have happened would have still happened had I gone Alpha Phi or Delta Gamma. But you are right, that your own chapter can help shape your future. I thought you were totally disagreeing with what Justamom said but you really weren't.

Like I said, I think it is great that there are dedicated alums such as ourselves (and a number of other GCers) and I only wish that there were more. The greek system overall would be seen as a lot more "elite"-----and in a GOOD way, if more positive action was being taken.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to betapsigirl
Wow, I can see that none of y'all would ever make it as Rho Chi's. You have to have a good attitude for that, and be unbiased. I'm disappointed in y'all. I come from a smaller school, with an even smaller Greek community. (Only 2.6% of our school population is Greek.) I used to look at Greekchat to get ideas and keep my spirit up. But now I'm ashamed of how petty and narrow-minded my fellow Greeks have been. If I was a potential member and I saw everything y'all had written, I wouldn't rush any one.
Oh, and just for the record, Alpha Xi Delta and Phi Mu and Kappa Iota (local) all have pretty much equal standing at my school. And we all get along pretty well, now that we got rid of the other local sorority.
What ever happened to the saying "whatever the letter, we're all Greek together"?
Old 01-18-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

"I used to look at Greekchat to get ideas and keep my spirit up. But now I'm ashamed of how petty and narrow-minded my fellow Greeks have been. If I was a potential member and I saw everything y'all had written, I wouldn't rush any one. "

This from someone who "got rid" of the other local sorority on her campus....... So much for respect
Old 01-18-2002, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

betapsgirl: You may want to reconsider that statement. Many of us were Rho Chis. I was and have held an exec position on PH for 3 year and we are not on the rotation method, I was elected to be on and was very productive.

There is nothing unpanhellenic about pointing out the obvious regarding standings. Some groups are stronger and it is the system that supports all of our growth. Stronger helps the weaker and the weaker learn from the stronger. To say we are all the same is not true, it wouldn't even be fun. Things change and standings change, that's the exciting part. We all want the system to work and if we were all the same recruitment would be that much more confusing. If it didn't matter why do schools give chapter of the year award and most improved awards...and for that matter, why do national groups do the same. We all want to be the best and that isn't possible, but it is fun seeing your sisters work together to be better and better each year, even if you are the strongest, it isn't easy staying that way.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:06 PM
UMgirl

actually if she had of read the post right, she would have noticed that most people got mad the topic of elites, was even mentioned. Even though everyone knows all chapters have their good and bad standing times, most of us agreed that itd be nice just to all get along and be greek.