GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,375
0 members and 1,375 guests
No Members online

Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

when there is only one...

... sorority on a campus is there any advice on what to look for, ask, or think about when going through recruitment? They are a national and I've looked at their website and have done my research. I'm just curious as to what others think.
Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Unregistered-

When you say research...what kind of research have you done? Website info? You can get all the facts and figures from the website, but honestly...I don't think that's enough. Do you know any of the sisters in the sorority? Have you met/chatted with them?

It's nice to have their basic info while going through recruitment because you'll already have an upper hand over those who hadn't bothered to.

But when you go through recruitment, try to pay close attention to how these girls interact with each other. Are they genuinely getting along with each other and enjoying themselves? or are they just simply trying to put on a show in order to boost their numbers?

Ask them questions you won't find answered on their website. What does sisterhood mean to them? What has XYZ done for you so far? Ask them what it feels like to be a part of a national org. And if you have any concerns, address them. Time management because of school and/or jobs and finances were concerns we'd hear all the time from rushees.

Good luck! You can find a lot of helpful threads on Recruitment here on GC.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a transfer student in my junior year. I don't know any of these women personally. I've emailed them and asked questions about how open they are to upperclass women and also let them know that I was interested in learning more. I have looked on GC but have only found a few threads about my (future) school. Thank you, though, for your help on what to look for!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora84
I'm a transfer student in my junior year. I don't know any of these women personally. I've emailed them and asked questions about how open they are to upperclass women and also let them know that I was interested in learning more. I have looked on GC but have only found a few threads about my (future) school. Thank you, though, for your help on what to look for!
NP. My sorority is the only NPC on a campus with 3 locals, and we get emails asking us the same questions about upperclass status. Being that recruitment isn't cutthroat, it usually isn't a problem.

Because our recruitment isn't structured, it's a common thing to see a few sisters having lunch or hanging out informally with interested girls before recruitment events begin.

Again, good luck!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hi aurora84,

I'm from a campus with one sorority as well. It was an NPC and a really great group of women. I think doing your research is a great idea, find out what they stand for and who they are nationally and locally (national and chapter website - if they have one). I'll second what OTW says about trying to meet some of the sisters, always a good idea to gauge what the group is like at the time when you join.
Again, for us, taking juniors and seniors was never a problem, because if they joined at that point, they were usually really interested and had a lot to offer the sorority, both during their time as collegians and after they graduated as alumnae.

Good luck with recruitment!

~ShyViolet