GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,117
1 members and 2,116 guests
Phrozen Sands

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2020, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Possibly a new AI?

Hey everyone. I've been debating making an account here for awhile now, but I could use some "outside advice" so to speak. Also this is new to me, please forgive me if I come off the wrong way/use the wrong terms, I dont mean to.

Late last year I decided I should apply for AI. I learned very quickly that it's not something given out to just everyone, it's an honor that isnt taken lightly, and it could take a long time to be approved for AI, let alone initiated. I looked at the orgs who do AI, looked at their philanthropies, how they give back, their sisterhood etc and talked with my friend in a sorority (not one I asked for info about because i havent been out of college for 25 years which is a requirement in hers to be considered.) I've also read a lot of the posts on this thread to see what I should/shouldn't do and what to expect. I dont want to seem like I'm going "shopping" or anything like that. I felt like I would connect with 3 of the orgs and decided to reach out to 2 orgs, both of them got back to me and after a phone call one said I wouldnt be a good fit right now due to a reason I will list below. The other I've met one from the group in person, had a good time and good conversation, and I have to wait for the group to get together again- which I dont expect anytime soon (but hoping) for obvious world reasons.

My reason for posting is for advice because, I slightly think I should have asked for more information about the 3rd org. (Apologies if this gets confusing) The reason given to me that I was denied by org #1 is because of my undergrad status. They wanted to give me the chance to be in a college chapter before committing to AI. I am aware I cannot apply or do anything with AI as an undergrad. I'm sorry if this is about to get all over the place, but basically my husband is in the military, and for me it is completely pointless to apply to a university I love, join a chapter, and then find out we move in a few months. Also I heard some sororities dont even let you in if you're married? I could be wrong though. I take online courses and I'm due to graduate later this year. Org #2 is aware of this and said my status doesn't make me ineligible for AI and I'm not really considered an undergrad.

Org #3 I didnt ask for information to because I didnt want to be "that person" applying literally everywhere without a reason but I really identify with their values and their philanthropy. I'm not sure if a college member could sponsor me (because I'm not sure if a college member can and also they arent living in my state currently) but my friends friends? Are so nice and I love hearing them talk about how much they love joining the org. If I dont ask for more information I might be wondering "what if" for awhile, and honestly I've also held back because I'm worried I'll be flat out denied because I'm technically an "undergrad" even though org 1 is the only one to consider me so. I also feel a very strong connection to org 2, and I dont want it to seem like (to myself and close friends) that I'm "that person." Or that I'm disregarding org 2, which again I love. Is it worth asking? Or should I wait a few more months and then ask? Or not at all?

My reason for wanting to join isn't really because "oh I never got to" I mean yes, but more because I see what greek life has done for my friends and the community. You help out these amazing orgs, you grow into this amazing person. I've watched my friends become these amazing women who love their orgs and who they've become because of it. I'm not saying other groups dont do that, but if it's possible I'd like to find my home in the greek community. Help out a lot at the alumnae level. Organize things for the chapter, do 5k walks, help out the college chapter etc. Whatever is needed. I see my friends proud of their letters and I want something like that. I understand AI is a long shot sometimes and it's an honor but I'm willing to be patient and try.

Thank you for any advice, also I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm on mobile.