GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,217
1 members and 1,216 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 07-04-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year of college was mainly a culture shock. I loved the school to death, but meeting so many different types of people who all brought their different cultures with them was a little overwhelming. One thing you'd grown up doing your whole life could be ok for some and offend others. Some people dressed like me, others made fun of my clothes. You really have to just learn that just because something isn't like what you're used to doesn't mean it's weird or wrong (and accept that not everyone has learned that, too).

As far as firsts:
-- I got my first date (which was a test for me and my parents)
-- my first roommates (I'd never shared a room for more than a week before)
--my first "F" (and it wasn't my fault, my grades were switched with another girl's)
--MY FIRST TASTE OF FREEDOM!!! I'll never forget munching on chips just because there was no one to tell me not to eat in my room I can't believe I was really that psyched over some Ruffles..

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl

Last edited by christiangirl; 07-20-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Ahhh fall 1989! I loved my freshman year @ Morgan! (and the other 3.5 after it). I didn't loose my mind and act a fool (just learned the fine art of coming in at 5 am with no complaints). I was sick my 2nd semester so i wasn't around alot from feb-april and folks thought I was: dead, dropped out or pregnant because i barely attended classes. My teachers knew i was sick (had strep i think that i got from my bf) and I was there for my tests so they didn't hassle me too much. I had a 3.85 that semester and made honor roll for the year. I had a wonderful Biology teacher that has unfortuately passed from prostrate cancer (Dr, Jerkins). I really enjoyed my freshman year.I was pretty independent before I came so I could take care of myself but I did learn:

How to NOT become a Wisconson sleeper
How to play spades, tell a guy no and still be friends
How to jip the washer and dryer for extra minutes
What NOT to eat in the refectory (cafeteria)
That the Black man was a beautiful thing (went to an all girls hs)

Wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dsteazye74
I'm a proud graduate of Alabama State University.
My freshman year in college was cool. However, the staff sucks at most HBCUs. My Academic Advisor was on point, she showed me the right direction 2 take in school and I appreciate her for dat. Good well done Mrs. Turner.

I must say it is difficult attending an HBCU and trying 2 balance ur class load with a party going on everyday. Now, I see why it takes peeps 5+ years to finish college.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MizTigger
Freshman year was GREAT!!!! i'm now a senior at Jackson State University. We had a whole week with just the freshman on campus. Members of SGA and NPHC helped us move in and planned our activities for the week. We formed our groups and hung out on the plaza all night. Found out that I have the best department on campus (Department of Physics). My advisor was on his stuff and I have unlimited access to the department chair. I found myself joining the choir, honor societies, and SGA. Still representing student government today!!! Found myself going to most of the NPHC events. Freshman year was one to remember. AHHHH
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Trisana58 Send a message via Yahoo to Trisana58
My freshman year (which was completed earlier this year) wasn't that hectic. I'm attending a JC and the majority of my freshman year I took most of my classes online. For half of my 1st year I was a wreck, and the other half was pretty ok. I somewhat regret not being on campus more during my first year, but now that I'm taking classes on campus, I can become more involved and be a bit more social. :-)
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

wow. 10 years ago i was a freshman in college. i made a couple of friends and participated in A LOT of activities. Most people thought i was stuck up because i didn't go out of my way to make friends. I wasn't shy but i just wasn't the type to talk to strangers all the time. I thought it was CRAZY that people said "Hi, how you doing, o.k. catch you later" instead of just the head nod or waving and keeping it moving. Who has time for all that? LOL.

I was blessed to have a nice (but weird) roommate and also a cousin who was a couple of years ahead of me on the yard. My only "first" at college was my 1st time at the club.

Being involved in Band, SGA, academic clubs, and taking a full load helped keep me focused on college WORK instead of getting caught up in social trappings.

All in all it was pretty calm, things didn't start going crazy until my junior year (got a car, took less classes = more time for partying).

Oddly enough, my best friends by senior year and now (as a grown up) are some of the people i COULD NOT STAND as a freshman.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

booo!!!!

my freshman year was the most memorable for me because I had a bad perm and all my hair FELL out... *sigh*

but I had MASSIVE country, not culture shock. Coming str8 from Africa I was like Hakeem in New York, from Coming to America... i hated the people, the language... black people were scarce and the few that were there were awesome, especially the old heads, they made me feel at home, and then they graduated the next semester and then I was all alone but I had fun!! the classes, the people... I didn't have many friends until I joined the NAACP and then I was home free...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoul View Post
my freshman year was the most memorable for me because I had a bad perm and all my hair FELL out... *sigh*

but I had MASSIVE country, not culture shock. Coming str8 from Africa I was like Hakeem in New York, from Coming to America... i hated the people, the language... black people were scarce and the few that were there were awesome, especially the old heads, they made me feel at home, and then they graduated the next semester and then I was all alone but I had fun!! the classes, the people... I didn't have many friends until I joined the NAACP and then I was home free...
lol. i had a massive country shock as well, thank god i had other Trinis with me to help me out. the food was ok, but greasy, chicken seemed to be a staple of nearly every meal (i went to an hbcu). i had a short-lived relationship with an african american girl, i learned not everything one sees on television about america is true. the international students used to throw some wild parties off campus, after a while we built a reputation and ppl would ask us when the next one was.

i saw snow for the first time and learned that even some of the kids from south carolina hadnt seen it before. i saw a poor example of class management, this one math professor would let the students run wild in the class, making noise. one day he got fed up and said, "hey, stop that shyt!"

my roommate was from savannah and i had a couple classes with him. i put him onto obscure bob marley tracks (not the legend cd) he put me on to pastor troy, master p, mystikal, silkk the shicker...catchy stuff. sadly, he didnt graduate, he let his grades drop and lost his scholarship (he was a member of the marching 101) lord knows where he is now.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Along these lines, did any of you have trouble grade-wise freshman year, for whatever reason and if so, what did you do or what do you suggest a student do to bounce back from that?

My freshman year, it was just a completely different world from high school and I wasn't prepared...no excuses, just a fact and now am just trying to get my GPA back up. Studying more is one of the obvious, but I guess I mean mentally too because I'm just so pissed at myself for letting it happen because I was such a good student in high school... Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My advise: Don't register for an 8:00 class on a Friday. (You will be too tired to go after partying all night on Thursday)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz_Doc View Post
Along these lines, did any of you have trouble grade-wise freshman year, for whatever reason and if so, what did you do or what do you suggest a student do to bounce back from that?

My freshman year, it was just a completely different world from high school and I wasn't prepared...no excuses, just a fact and now am just trying to get my GPA back up. Studying more is one of the obvious, but I guess I mean mentally too because I'm just so pissed at myself for letting it happen because I was such a good student in high school... Thanks for your advice in advance!
Does your school have some sort of "freshman forgiveness" program? My school had one and basically if you got an E (thats what a failing grade was) during your freshman year, if you retook the class and received a better grade, the bad grade is erased, and it's as if you never failed the course.

But other than that, I would suggest you spend more time at the library rather than trying to study at home or in the dorm, and try to schedule classes next semester (that are needed) that you think you'd perform well in. It's much easier to build your GPA in the first 2 years so if you do well the next few terms you should be fine. Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year was great! I met lots of people, and though there weren't that many blacks on my campus, it seemed like it was because we were really close nit. My freshman year, I could stay out all night and still make dean's list. I dare not try that now...lol. I think for me the best part was being on my own for the first time. My school is about an hour from my home, which was close enough that I could get back if need be, and far enough that my mom didnt want to drive up there to check on me. It was great. As wonderful1908 said, no bills, no worries, just going to class and making good grades. The things you take for granted...LOL
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

My freshman year was filled with HOMESICKNESS! I went to Boston College and Boston, which I thought was like DC in terms of being a major city, I found to be very different. I called home every other day and begged to come back. Thank God my dad refused to let me come home til Thanksgiving. I had a triple room, with two roommates in a double sized room. One roommate had some stress management issues that made me want to slap the taste out her mouth (thankfully I didn't) I moved out and kept it moving. Fortunately, the homesickness led to great grades my first year, after that, I lived alone for two years and finally had roomates again as a senior(and reremembered why I never wanted roommates again!)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
kissy324

I'll never forget the day my mother dropped me off at my off-campus house, the weekend before starting college. I remember looking out the window as she was driving off, and I instantly became home sick. But, my room mates took me out that next night (the Sunday before my first day of class), and by the time my 8:00am class rolled around the following day, I had a severe hangover, and was lacking sleep. That was the first time I realized how fun it was to be on my own, and not having to worry about any rules. Anyway, I went to the University of Akron, and I met a lot of people, became involved in a lot of organizations on campus, and partied a lot (probably too much). My grades did suffer a little, but I was able to improve them.

Looking back at my freshman year and undergrad experience as a whole, I have to say that those were some of the best years of my life. I could never do a lot of the things I did back then, because I'm living in the "real world" now (bills, job, more bills, etc...). The value of my freshman year and undergrad experience... priceless.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RhoPsiDST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDST99 View Post
For those of you who can think back that far... ...please share with me how your freshman year of college went for you. Could it have been better? What could have been done by the faculty and/or staff that would have made it better? Did you have a good support system? Or was your freshman year trouble and hassle free?

I flunked everything but Physical Ed.. and that's because the teacher was the ladies b-ball coach and she was never there! As you can see, i straight kicked it.. and my grades were the proof