GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,535
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, robertoslittey8
» Online Users: 2,098
2 members and 2,096 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion at SSU

Last edited by ssuchidelt; 04-22-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd suggest waiting and listing who is invited to present, but someone else may disagree. I can't wait to hear more!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuchidelt View Post

We just ranked the chapters we'd like to come present to us. We had 6 chapters show interest (should I list them or is that not good?). We will know by wednesday which 3 panhellenic vote to invite to present.
To keep things fair I'd suggest not naming the six. Usually when groups are invited to present, posting three is okay because by then things are official -- they're coming to present.

Sounds like an exciting time for your chapter and campus as I know several Alpha Gams from that school. Be sure to keep us posted!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM

You should probably keep a lid on which nationals showed interest. Rumors concerning expansion tend to get a little out of control on here. Once you know for sure who is coming to the school to present, let us know.

As to how you should approach the situation, be ready to ask the following questions:
  • *Are there a lot of alumnae in the area? How would they support us?
    *Are there other collegiate chapters in the area? How would they support us?
    *How much support can we expect as a colony?
    *What goals will we be required to fulfill before chartering? (How many members, what kind of pledge program if any you'll have to go through, what fees will need to be paid etc.)
    *What is your chapter success ratio - that is, what percentage of your chartered chapters are still open?
    *Will alumnae of our local be eligible to be initiated into the national sorority?
    *What local traditions will we be permitted to keep? What must we get rid of - no ifs, ands or buts?

Those are just a few I thought of - other people probably have ideas.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 PM

I'd suggest only revealing the groups that have been actually invited to present (once you've made that decision). That way, it's actual official information you're sharing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

How exciting. Can't wait to hear your story. I echo what everyone else has said about waiting to post which three groups are officially presenting. Even after that, be discrete about what you post about each group until one official one has been chosen. (I.E. don't post. "Oh we LOVE XYZ, but ABC gave a terrible presentation and now we don't want anything to do with them.")

I was a founding member of my chapter that went from a local to an NPC- actually, the whole campus went from locals to NPC chapters at the same time. The way it worked for our campus was exactly like rush on a larger scale. The local sororites ranked their top three choices of the NPC orgs who had presented and the NPC orgs ranked the local organizations they wanted to invite to affiliate with them. Then there was a matching session where the 7 groups were matched up. Luckily for us, the NPC orgs were all willing to affilate each entire chapter, so there was no membership review with only certain girls from the local selected. That would be another question for the NPCs presenting at your campus: Are they willing to welcome your entire local sorority right now, or are there stipulations involved that only certain girls will be invited or perhaps you need to pledge so many more girls before you can officially become a colony, etc.

Was your local the only sorority that expressed interest in affiliating with an NPC, or how was your sorority chosen as the one that will be affiliating?

Last edited by adpi*violet; 02-26-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

What about Sac State?

Quote:
Sonoma State is a liberal arts california state university that has about 8000 undergrads. We have 3 national sororities (Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Gamma Delta and Alpha Xi Delta), 2 Locals, 1 multi cultural and 1 latina. We have 4 fraternities (SAE, TKE and Phi Delta Theta), and one local.

Recently Panhellenic voted to let one of our locals (my chapter) go national. I want to keep an on going story about our process and get advice from people about how my chapter should approach this situation. At this point we're all pretty excited and going in with an open mind.

We just ranked the chapters we'd like to come present to us. We had 6 chapters show interest (should I list them or is that not good?). We will know by wednesday which 3 panhellenic vote to invite to present.

This is a pretty big thing for our campus considering we are a campus of almost 60-70% women. Panhellenic hasn't passed a vote for extension in over 8 years. All NPC sororities are pretty much at quota.

Is there anything else you guys would want to know?
Is your Alpha chapter going national as well? What's going to happen to Chi Delta at Sac State?

Last edited by SSUAlumna; 02-27-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the advice and questions. the questions are GREAT. I'm definetly keeping them handy to ask when presentations come around.

and we were the ones that expressed interest in becoming an npc sorority. we are the beta chapter of our sorority and have been on our campus for 5 years. we had several reasons for wanting to become an npc organization.

thanks again everyone.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting! Georgia Tech is just in the beginning steps of pursuing NPC expansion, and my local (the only one on campus; GT only allows one local at a time) recently announced our intention to pursue national affiliation. (link!)

Good luck!

A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Class of 2007
Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUAlumna View Post
Is your Alpha chapter going national as well? What's going to happen to Chi Delta at Sac State?
We don't have very much contact with them. But from what I understand they are going to stay Chi Delta.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by ssuchidelt; 04-23-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Our local panhellenic voted tonight and the 3 sororities choosen to present are:

Alpha Phi
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Omicron Pi

We're excited because these were our top 3 choices.
3 wonderful choices indeed!

I can already hear Jill1228 squealing in excitement! She is, after all, RIGHT THERE!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAmanda View Post
How exciting! Georgia Tech is just in the beginning steps of pursuing NPC expansion, and my local (the only one on campus; GT only allows one local at a time) recently announced our intention to pursue national affiliation. (link!)

Good luck!
Why would Georgia Tech only allow one local at a time? I don't get the logic behind that. Could you shed some light?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
OTW is correct! I am not too far away (about an hour and a half or so)
This is exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
3 wonderful choices indeed!

I can already hear Jill1228 squealing in excitement! She is, after all, RIGHT THERE!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to belittle Locals as I started a Local, but joining with a National Organization opens up so many more doors for You and Your Sisters.

All of the NPCs that you mentioned are great Organizations. Any expansion is a plus and while I have not been or seen that school, the area is beautiful!

The very best of luck to you and your sisters. Please keep us updated.

LX Z # 1
Alumni