GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,531
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Deltatau77
» Online Users: 1,696
1 members and 1,695 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation HOWARD UNIVERSITY COLONY

Greetings brothers,

Im a founding member of the Howard University Pi Kappa Alpha Colony and several of us have general questions concerning our potential chartering.

Any feedback from brothers will be greatly appreciated.

1) Many of the Alpha Class founding members have graduated, is it possible to initiate such members with post-undergraduate status, or is initiation only available to current undergraduate students? Initiation of these founding members will greatly improve the further development of our Alumni Association.

2) Aside from hints and comments from IHQ, what are other indicators of impending chartering? Feedback and ADVICE from recently chartered colonies would be great.

These two will suffice for now.

Aside from our chartering questions, we were disheartened to see threads and journal articles constantly playing the race card. I would like to dispel any rumors which have been spread about our current colony, (ie: HU Pikes strolling, stepping, eating human flesh (j/k), etc.), although nothing can be definitively set in stone concerning the evolution future pledge classes.

Who knew that brining PIKE to our campus would unearth such a plethora of racially charged discussion and debate coming from both sides? ... we did! Thus, as a rule of thumb, to avoid devolving our original agenda, we have removed ourselves from uselessly discussing the mundane, outmoded issue of race and BGLO/WGLO rhetoric and are focusing upon forming "A more lasting bond", in the footsteps of few fine gentlemen of the yesteryear.

Needless to say, we are very excited about the prospect of being entrusted with the ritual, adding to the greek experience here through chartering, and worried that many of our current and future alumni will never be recognized as our full-fledged brothers. We hope to usher in a new era of greek leadership at our fine institution and seek all the support we can garner from our brothers throughout the nation.

PHI PHI
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, future Brother! Pi Kappa Alpha is enriched by the addition of a first class new chapter at a prestigeous university.
I cannot speak for National but I believe it is assumed that any and all of the founding members will be fully initiated together with the undergraduates at the time of chartering. Those who can't return to campus for chartering can perhaps be initiated later at their convenience.
I'd offer this advice on chartering: enjoy it and glory in your achievement. And remember that the greatest danger your chapter will face will come in the time just after chartering, after all the goals have been met and all the energy has been expended and the leaders are weary from their good efforts.
Chartering is the goal and it is a demanding one. Once it is achieved, sometimes new chapters drift, rudderless it seems, from new leadership uncertain of how to proceed. You need guidance, and that means a mature, committed chapter advisor as well as other alumni who work with the undergraduates to ensure continued excellence. These should not be recent graduates; those men are too close to the undergrads, and they have their own young lives to pursue.
Without an enduring vision, even once-great institutions perish. You must know who you are as a Fraternity, what you are and what you should be.
I have followed the colony at Howard since he beginning. I think I know what you have done and if I've heard correctly then I am very proud of you.
I wish you all the best as a chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha, and I look forward to welcoming you into our great Fraternity.
I know that you do not yet know the meaning behind the letters phi phi kappa alpha, but I believe that you will be very pleased when they are revealed.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent post, and I'm glad to hear that the fire continues to burn at Howard.

Can you provide an update on progress, if any, toward school recognition? I'm wondering if that is having an impact on the chartering process.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could help you, but my chapter is far from new so I have no idea how the chartering process REALLY works. Good luck though and don't forget to keep that train moving, it may seem like an eternity passes before you get chartered, but trust me when I say that it'll be worth it!