GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,576
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, funcheeto
» Online Users: 1,863
0 members and 1,863 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2002, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing a colony

A new sorority (ZTA) will be colonizing my school later this semester. Interest sessions don't start till April, but I'm already stoked (and procrastinating, lol). I was wondering if anybody here had rushed a colony before and could give me some advice. What's it like to rush a colony? What sort of things do they look for in members?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Colonizations are so much fun!

Baby chapters sometimes have it rough since they are so new, but I assure you that colony life has so much to offer that it is a lot to be excited about!

Colony life is very different than established chapter life. Although all chapters, new and old, face the same challenges, colonies have added pressure to start off on the right foot.

As founding sisters your group is responsible for setting the bar high in order to set a solid foundation for the group to grow. Taditions begin with the colony and colony members have normal responsibilties but then add the issue of leaving a leagacy.

If I were part of the colonization I would look for:
A good work ethic
Love for your school
Dedication to your studies(decent GPA)
How much Potential Members are invovled on campus
PNM's ability to hold a conversation
Willingness to particiapte

I was part of a colony and found that it is the most rewarding part of my college experience. You get the chance to learn so much about how the system works and how your group is part of the process.

Good Luck, keep us posted! What school are you attending?

Last edited by LexiKD; 02-12-2002 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xo_sue
Since ZTA is such a great group of women (reputation ) - I would be really excited too if I were you! Good luck and def. look into it! I think it is a great opportunity!

Sue
Old 02-12-2002, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I know how you feel! When I rushed the DZ colony here i was nervous and didn't know what to expect - what happened was they had informational sessions, i think 3, and you were given facts about the sorority and the greek system, reasons to join, and so on. Then they had open rush parties. Sisters from the Iowa State DZ chapter came down and rushed us - everyone signed up for an interview session after that. The interview was probably both the most nervous part and what sealed it for me. I interviewed with a regional advisor - i thought she would be so intimidating - but she was the sweetest, kindest, most ouitgoing and friendly woman. she talked about DZ in a way that made me want to be a sister - and i obviously made a good impression b/c i was a founding sister, haha!
what i think they're looking for:
leaders. - youre new to campus and they need people who are going to step into that role of recruiting and staying positive through it all.
friendly/outgoing girls - those who are willing to talk up their sorority in a big group of pnms - but also those that others will be comfortable with
people who live up to the ideals of the sisterhood - maintain their grades, get involved in campus outside of the chapter. definitly people who are excited about sisterhood and know what it means - its a lifelong committment and i trust my sisters with everything.

umm, i might think of more - lol, so i'll get back to you!

Nicole
Old 02-12-2002, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I am working right now with a colony, and also worked with selecting the new member for the colony. We did personal interviews with all of the women who were interested in participating in the colonization. Just as with regular recruitment, there are strict grade requirements. My advice is to know as much as you can about ZTA, and show off all of the positive aspects such as student organizations, good grades, etc. I was most impressed with the women who already know about D Phi E. It shows they cared enough to really look into the sorority before making a decision on going through the recruitment.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Lexi: I go to the University of Kansas.

I'm not worried about most of the factors you all mentioned - I have a 3.4 GPA, I can speak in front of a group of people, I'm enthusiastic about the organization, etc. The main thing I'm worried about is involvement. I was pretty heavily involved in the past but had to cut down this year due to work and school issues. Will that be a strike against me, or will the other stuff make up for it?
Old 02-12-2002, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The thing about colony life is that the colony is in need of all types of members. Unlike recruitment yearly, this is a time to recruit for Grades, leaders, social butterflies, and philanthropy women not just focus on where you need membership in certain areas. Colonies need it all so, educate your self about ZTA and show that you can be an asset to the chapter in some capacity.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed a colony! Well, no i didn't. But I pledged a colony!!! IT was a blast, plus now my name will be on the charter. I'm a founding father. Founding father flounder lol.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

While I didn't personally rush a colony, my chapter is still young enough that I've been able to meet some of our founders. During my term as chapter president, I also had the opportunity to meet one of the two men (also a past-president) who helped set up the installation weekend. The feeling I get from him is one of unquenchable pride in the chapter he set up. I've also met one of the first couple of guys who came up with the idea to found the chapter to begin with. Same thing from him. The chapter's current advisor is one of the charter members too and even he has that sort of sense of ... "I helped make this happen" ... when you meet him. The point is, that could be you!
Old 03-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

RockChalk -- here in a few days I'll be called a 'founding father' of the Mu Tau chapter of Sigma Nu. I'm our chapter's treasurer right now but have also served as marshal and was the Lieutenant Commander (VP) that was running the executive council that got our petition approved.

It's hard work. You may be at it for awhile, so be ready to be in it for the long haul. But in the end I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I could have joined any house on campus, but ya know what? I would have joined and then graduated and then I would have been forgotten. I wouldn't have had the chance to leave much of a lasting legacy.

By being a leader in a colony you are guaranteed the opportunity to leave a lasting legacy not only on your individual group, but on the entire campus.

If anyone asks me "should I join a colony?" My answer will ALWAYS be yes!!!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma