GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,576
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, funcheeto
» Online Users: 1,830
1 members and 1,829 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it does happen now. Not like it did 5 or so years ago but you do see some of the older girls, even leaders, leave the local out of frustration or feeling cheated because of all the benefits that the NPCs can offer.

What I meant about the earlier locals going national: okay, one whole local went national. The second was split in half about going national and their alums came in and cried and the group was left local. By then, though, lots of the girls from that group were sold on what a national could do and they left the second local and rushed to be part of the new colony.

There were a few who were still around a couple of years later when the second national presented and left the local to join that colony.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
From her post (which she could be spinning of course), it seems to me like she already had made the decision to quit before the colony materialized. YMMV.

Yes, but it is usually the exec board or people who have represented the sorority in Panhel/Greek council who are the ones quitting?

No. They would be dumb. Period. See AOEforme's post. Regardless of whether she quit the local because of the colony coming or independently of it, the fact is that she is well known on campus as a former president and representative of her local group. That immediately throws shade on the new NPC chapter, the same as it would if they took a girl who was known on campus for her anti-Greek tirades in the school paper or for running a meth lab in her dorm room. It doesn't matter how dedicated they would be...campus perception is the issue. A colony screws that up and they're always going to have to deal with it.
In your opinion. Period. On some campuses, this truly wouldn't be a big deal to incoming freshman, and I don't see any case in which it's the same as taking a meth dealer.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
In your opinion. Period. On some campuses, this truly wouldn't be a big deal to incoming freshman, and I don't see any case in which it's the same as taking a meth dealer.
It's not just incoming freshmen you have to worry about, it's the Greek and campus community in general. If your name is mud with those people, the freshmen will pick up their attitudes and follow suit. I admit the meth dealer was an extreme example, but my point was it's all about perception.

FWIW, I don't think it's OK for the women at carnation's old school to dump the local and pledge a national either. Personally, I'd be very wary of taking someone who is from a group (local, national, regional, professional or what have you) with a reputation of hazing, especially if she was an older member. AAG put across the only reasonable scenario I can think of, quite frankly - I was pledging, didn't know what I was getting into, and once I knew I got the eff out.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's not just incoming freshmen you have to worry about, it's the Greek and campus community in general. If your name is mud with those people, the freshmen will pick up their attitudes and follow suit. I admit the meth dealer was an extreme example, but my point was it's all about perception.

FWIW, I don't think it's OK for the women at carnation's old school to dump the local and pledge a national either. Personally, I'd be very wary of taking someone who is from a group (local, national, regional, professional or what have you) with a reputation of hazing, especially if she was an older member. AAG put across the only reasonable scenario I can think of, quite frankly - I was pledging, didn't know what I was getting into, and once I knew I got the eff out.
If freshmen hear the only reason XYZ and ABC think DEF sucks is because they took a girl like the OP, they might not give a shit. And on some campuses, it truly might not be that big of a deal, most especially if something similar has happened before. Basically, it may or may not be an issue, but there's no ONE answer since campus cultures can be so extremely different.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx