GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,570
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, asydneshtolzez6
» Online Users: 2,510
0 members and 2,510 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2007, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustRhia View Post
I was a PMN in Fall of '03. It was pref night, and I was at the last house of my three invites for that evening. I was trying to keep an open mind but I had already fallen in love with my house, and was never really impressed with this house all through rush. XYZ house was the last invite of the evening and I was trying to be polite,attentive and respect their ceremony. While I was being hard rushed after the ceremony, the girl who was hard rushing me grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eye and told me "I can see you being president of this sorority one day." I was freaking out because I knew that both of those things were HUGE rush infractions. Who says that to a PMN? Needless to say I only ranked 2/3 houses that night...

I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiB View Post
I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience
Wow. That is some story. Couldn't she have gotten into a lot of trouble for blatantly promising you a bid like that?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
I thought so, but she was really sweet and I didn't want to get her in trouble. i still see her around campus, and if I'm wearing letters, she just glares at me. Lucky for me their house is 2 streets away from ours, lol
Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiB View Post
I do not understand why girls HUG/grab their PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.

It's a HUGE difference between leading them into a room by touching their shoulder or arm lightly and grabbing/constantly hugging a PNM.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardedbystars View Post
I do not understand why girls HUGtheir PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.
Yeah I don't get this either. We were always instructed not to hug a PNM unless they initiate it. I once greeted a girl at the door during House Tours day who practically JUMPED into my arms when I went to open the door. I had no choice but to hug her back.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Nikki's experience is soo much like mine! When I accepted my bid, we had an All Greek Mixer that night. Sounds nice, right, all Greeks accepting celebrating their bids? Wrong! AT LEAST six of the sisters of the other sorority I preffed came over, hugged me, and cried on my shoulder! My shirt was absolutely soggy from their tears and possibly worse. My new sisters were absolutely aghast at them!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Nikki's experience is soo much like mine! When I accepted my bid, we had an All Greek Mixer that night. Sounds nice, right, all Greeks accepting celebrating their bids? Wrong! AT LEAST six of the sisters of the other sorority I preffed came over, hugged me, and cried on my shoulder! My shirt was absolutely soggy from their tears and possibly worse. My new sisters were absolutely aghast at them!
Ugh, I would be too. That's so weird!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Here's a gem for you guys:

6 of our sororities have houses, 4 of which are on the same street. After Bid Night, we all go back to our houses to start our Bid Night parties and take our pics.

Two sororities on our road, AB & CD pref alot of the same girls during rush, so sometimes a girl will end up getting AB when she really wanted CD or vice versa.

This past year, there was a girl who got a bid to AB, but was visibly upset because her first choice was CD. AB is across from our house, so we could see them taking their pics.

We were taking our bid night pics in our front yard. We could see a girl from AB walking across to the CD yard toward a girl in an AB bid shirt. She was hysterical & crying on a CD girl's shoulder. It turns out, the other AB sister was trying to convince her to come over and take bid pics.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-15-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

It's sad and weird. I understand it a little more from the girl's perspective since she thinks she REALLY wanted the group, but the group members ought to know better than to act that way. What are your new members thinking while they see you weeping about the girls who went someplace else?

Honeychile, in your case, were they people that you actually knew from your hometown or are we talking people who you had only known a week?

I do think the idea of an all Greek mixer shortly after bid day would be a great idea. Maybe not on bid day, but soon after.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

This is horrible, but when I rushed, the air conditioning went out at the ABC house. I only remember was how everyone had sweaty shiny faces. The rusheers were so distracted and caught off guard. I just remember how hot it was and listening to apologies. It was awful for them... Quota was 32..They pledged 12. They recovered. I think they are on top now.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a story told to me by an older neighbor who went through rush at the Univ. of Arizona in the days when rushees had to dress in heels, stockings and dresses.

My neighbor had been Homecoming Queen, Valedictorian, etc. and was having a dream rush. She was a tall, slim natural blonde. It was nearly the end of rush with longer parties, but the rushees had to stand out in the blazing Arizona sun to wait on the sidewalk. She is fair and was suffering in the 115o heat.

Arizona Girl decided she had to take off her high heels. Mistake! Immediately her feet began to swell badly. Oh, dear. She thought it might help to walk across the grass which had to be cooler than the cement. How could she go into *** house without shoes? Arizona Girl proceeded to walk across the grass when the powerful automatic sprinklers went on! In seconds she was drenched. Her dress was soaked; her hair was dripping down her shoulders. Oops! It was now time for the party at *** house. In she went shoeless, soaked and dripping. The *** members were not amused. At the next house, another top house, she arrived still wet and bedraggled. Fortunately, these girls thought it was hilarious and the funniest thing they had seen so far in rush. She pledged the second house and had four happy years there. Later she was an active alumna and long time advisor for another chapter of &&&.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Honeychile, in your case, were they people that you actually knew from your hometown or are we talking people who you had only known a week?

I do think the idea of an all Greek mixer shortly after bid day would be a great idea. Maybe not on bid day, but soon after.
It was a mix. I knew two of the sisters from high school, and found out later that I had been another's "rush crush". The other three, I had just met that week! Seriously, the one had such a hold on my neck, it really hurt - to say nothing of the tears!!

I agree about the All Greek Mixer - just NOT on Bid Night! Bid Night/Day should be for getting to know your newly expanded family.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM

This was a fun one, so I'll bring it up again

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This was a fun one, so I'll bring it up again
You are not allowed to bump this thread without a story. You always have the best stories, and you got me excited for no reason.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
You are not allowed to bump this thread without a story. You always have the best stories, and you got me excited for no reason.
I have the KSU greek system to thank for all my awesome stories. It's as if all of the crazies, bitches, brats, and social retards lay low until September and then BAM! They all decide to sign up for recruitment. It's nuts.

I'm assisting with recruitment this fall so I'll have plenty of stories for you guys!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-17-2007 at 04:31 PM.