GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,590
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, Davida3847
» Online Users: 1,795
2 members and 1,793 guests
3DGator

Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Helpful insight on interest groups

Hi Ladies,

I am in need of some insight right now. I am going to Florida International University in the Spring and looking to establish an interest group there for Gamma Sigma Sigma. I have chatted with Ms. Brice in the past but lost all of the information on establishing a group, etc. I need that information again or I'm going to look for it. My question is for those who started in my shoes, what did you go to recruit your current members, etc. I have at least two dedicated people and that is because I used craigslist. I don't know anyone at FIU which is a problem for me so any advice will be helpful. Thanks ladies!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyLady07 View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am in need of some insight right now. I am going to Florida International University in the Spring and looking to establish an interest group there for Gamma Sigma Sigma. I have chatted with Ms. Brice in the past but lost all of the information on establishing a group, etc. I need that information again or I'm going to look for it. My question is for those who started in my shoes, what did you go to recruit your current members, etc. I have at least two dedicated people and that is because I used craigslist. I don't know anyone at FIU which is a problem for me so any advice will be helpful. Thanks ladies!
1. Get on campus and get a feel for it.
2. Contact your Student Activities department (GSS is non-Panhel and often not represented on campus Greek Counsils). THey can often help you establish an organization and "advertise" your intentions.
3. Find out more about Gamma Sigma Sigma and our principles and goals.
You contact Nationals at www.gammasigmasigma.org and follow the link to the slide show presentation and/or email the President and write a letter of intent.
4. Once on campus, talk to classmates, roommates, even faculty. Find out if there are any alumnae who are professors or University Staff. Ask for some space in the student newspaper.

The most important thing is to go into it with your intentions intact, try to recruit potentially interested people, and take baby steps. Not being on campus yet is a challenge.

Good luck, and I do hope that if you desire to become a Gamma Sigma Sigma, you commit yourself and succeed in your pursuits.

Lastly, there are a few sisters here on GC who are district directors. Hopefully someone will stand forward and help you more than I can. I just joined my alum chapter and am getting back into the swing of things.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Ree. That was helpful enough, indeed.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
You can also email our Membership Director at membership@gammasigmasigma.org for how to get started.

Or you can PM me and I'll direct you. Which ever way is the most comfortable for you.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Ranita,

It's Cynthia under a new name. Do you still have my Yahoo im? I'll contact you there.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Yep I am still on YIM...

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The way I recruited people was to look into things I already was a part of...hence why the Reactivating line at HU has 95% band members, and 5 members of Tau Beta Sigma...lol

Since you don't have that option, I would go about it like Ranita said about finding out as much as you can about Greek life and paperwork procedures at your school...and from there just start having programs...the HUPG (Howard University Petitioning Group) had a program a week while we got the paperwork together....people who like your stuff will stick around....