GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,533
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agregoradarky21
» Online Users: 1,553
0 members and 1,553 guests
No Members online

Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
It sounds like you want to create a GLO just for the sake of creating it. You haven't identified any values or ideals that you want to base your organization on, aside from being a place for those who couldn't experience "traditional" Greek life. You say your main targets are those who haven't pursued college and those who were rejects (for lack of a better term) of other GLOs. Many people who pass up college do so because of other priorities (ex. work, family, money, etc), so that leaves you with an organization full of "rejects." I'm sure that's not what you're after. Your organization needs to have more focus if you're wanting to equate it to a GLO.

You also say you want to run like any other fraternity or sorority already in existence. Look at this from an interests view point: What is different about this organization that would make me choose it from an existing organization? How would you answer that question? And again I'll pose this question to you: Why would you go out of your way to create something unique if you're intending to duplicate something that's already out there?
In my opinion, many social greek organizations share a common goal. There are so many national groups out there that I doubt each and every one has a specific Different purpose from the one that was created before it. Many groups have been founded on the ideals Manhood, Academics, and Integrity. I'm sure all founders have had different intentions and felt that their organization was absolutely needed in their particular community. Some people chose to begin an organization for the sole purpose that a previous membership was not exactly what they thought it would be, and many of these groups are nationally and internationally recognized. I will honestly say that at my university I dont see any differences between the three NPC sororities here, beyond the rituals they may have. Perhaps for the OP she is viewing something similar in the community... So by forming a new organization she will break away from what seems to be a negative pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyk2004 View Post
correct, my roommates don't go to the school i go to but i'm not looking to start one at my school. i' looking to start one for my town for people who dont get the opportunities to participate in this type of organization.

yes Omega Phi Sigma is the name of the coed frat we'd like to start.

i'd like to try to get information from my schools administration but i'm not sure how helpful they're gonna be. i read through the link preciousjeni provided but is there any other supplemental site that can give me more information on how these organizations are run. I understand it's a lot of work but i've already started an organization for the fire department- it's just a completely different environment with different types of rules and regs.

also is there any particular group i need to register with to make our frat official. we dont really want to have the same name as another organization.
You really have to take the advice of some of the posters and think hard about the committment you are making. Even a community group is difficult to maintain, as you should know since you claim to have created one previously. I think you let your friends handle the founding work... Maybe they are not as busy as you are. Since it is a group for the community, get someone from the community to organize things. You dont need a university to be in a community organization. Its just like a club, on with different purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There is no "official registration" to make your organization legit. Google your organization's name to see if it's already taken. Hopefully, there's some significance in the letters you've chosen (ie. you didn't just randomly pick 3 letters from a hat).

Also, if this is not an organization affiliated with a school, is there a reason you've insisted on using Greek letters? Why not create a social club? What is it about your group that makes it different from the hundreds of fraternities and sororities already out there?

ETA:

You're probably not going to find anything that gives details on the inner-workings of a GLO. Again, this is your organization, so you'd be the one determining how it's run. What's the point of creating something new if you're going to use someone else's style?
Knight Shadow, I was wondering if you could tell me your personal opinion of what you think seperates a social club from greek life, beyond the rituals of brother or sisterhood??
Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
In my opinion, many social greek organizations share a common goal. There are so many national groups out there that I doubt each and every one has a specific Different purpose from the one that was created before it. Many groups have been founded on the ideals Manhood, Academics, and Integrity. I'm sure all founders have had different intentions and felt that their organization was absolutely needed in their particular community. Some people chose to begin an organization for the sole purpose that a previous membership was not exactly what they thought it would be, and many of these groups are nationally and internationally recognized. I will honestly say that at my university I dont see any differences between the three NPC sororities here, beyond the rituals they may have. Perhaps for the OP she is viewing something similar in the community... So by forming a new organization she will break away from what seems to be a negative pattern.

I agree that many organizations share a common goal, but are not carbon copies of each other. Brother/sisterhood, academics, leadership, community advancement -- all of these are things that better organizations' members and their respective communities. From the OP's posts, it seems like this group just wants to be a friendship club that uses Greek letters. There's nothing wrong with associating yourself with a group, but not every group needs to be a GLO.

Quote:
Knight Shadow, I was wondering if you could tell me your personal opinion of what you think seperates a social club from greek life, beyond the rituals of brother or sisterhood??
The social clubs that I've been involved with and have come in contact with aren't as "deep" as fraternities and sororities.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

IMO,I do not see a problem with using greek letters to represent an organization that is not considered a brother or sisterhood. In the same respect there a many organizations that are all about brother hood that do not use greek letters at all. I believe the letters are just a way to indentify something meaningful to the organization within itself. It is up to the idividual members to uphold the meanings to the letters they represent, as a fraternity, or as a club.
Thanks for the response, KS.