GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,504
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, ellaussd8014
» Online Users: 2,556
0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2001, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

The local fraternity that became my chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha called themselves the CAVALIERS. They purposely picked a non-Greek letter name in order not to show preference to any existing GLO. The Cavaliers were founded in Jan. 1968 here on the campus of Univ. of West Georgia, and became the Eta Sigma Chapter of PiKA on April 29, 1972.

However, several years ago, my chapter was closed due to a period of debt, behavioral problems, etc. After the chapter was closed, several former members organized a local fraternity and reclaimed the name of the CAVALIERS for the organization. This second generation of Cavaliers again eventually became the organization that recolonized the Eta Sigma Chapter of PiKA here at UWG.

But here's the kicker, apparently sometime between 1972 and 1995 there was ANOTHER organization on the UWG campus called the Cavaliers!! From what I've heard it was basically like a big or little brother group to one of the NPHC sororities here on campus. I think it is actually a regional or maybe even national type group that supports one or all of the NPHC groups...can any NPHC members out there shed any light to this?

A funny story though...a few years ago, this Cavalier-Pike local group had a date night at an Atlanta Braves game. The president at that time was wearing a Cavaliers t-shirt. When he was at the concession stand, an older black man behind him got all excited and started talking to him. He said he had been a "Cavalier" at West Georgia and was wondering when the group went inter-racial!! The current Cavalier was totally confused because no one really knew about the other Cavalier group!! It was really too funny!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )