GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,504
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, ellaussd8014
» Online Users: 2,515
0 members and 2,515 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2000, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for clarifying the matter bklnydelta and MS Public Service!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2000, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Mgdz,

Thanks for sharing that information. I wasn't aware there was another Alpha Sigma Tau!

Actually, we are incorporated as well (as of 1982), though I think the reasons have more to do with accepting significant tax-deductible donations than for keeping our letters exclusive. Though that would be nice, I feel like my Alpha Sigma Tau is THE Alpha Sigma Tau, anyway.
Old 08-02-2000, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Quote:
Originally posted by Shelacious:
Sorry, shela made a typo...not the "officer" flower, but it is our "offical" flower as well .
I figured that's what you really meant!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 03-01-2001, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority is a local sorority and we have found other sororities and fraternities that share our name.

Sororities
University of Michigan, Flint, Michigan
Vincennes University, Vincennes, Indiana
Hamilton College, Clinton, New York
Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas

Fraternity
Hope College, Holland, Michigan
Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
Frostburg State University, Frostburg, Maryland

There is also an honorary society named Alpha Theta Chi...I guess it is big in the south.

I have also done research and found national groups who started locally as Alpha Theta Chi before affiliating.

Since we are local we think that it is neat that others share our letters. We have been in contact with a couple of the other organizations and will probably meet up with them soon.

[This message has been edited by AOX81 (edited March 01, 2001).]

Last edited by AOX81; 06-11-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to start another "Is KA racist?" thread, but there is a Kappa Alpha Order AND a Kappa Alpha Society. I think there is also an Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and Alpha Delta Phi Literary society.

For the record, most national GLOs are incorporated. I know that many of the NPC groups are not to refer to themselves as "Alpha Beta Gamma, Incorporated" unless it's a business or legal thing. I READ THIS ON A WEBSITE, SO IT'S NOT ESOTERIC.
Old 03-04-2001, 04:20 PM

prdlocal - are you here?

There are two other Alpha Sigma's - one at Shippensburg U of Pennsylvania and one at the New York Institute of Technology.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
I imagine this isn't a problem for organizations that have been well established for ages. Have you ever run into another GLO that shares your letters, but definitely isn't your organization? I'm not asking about experiences with perps. Have you ever run into another organization that is genuinely using (or has used) your letters, and had no idea that you existed? It could also go the other way around: did you ever find out that the letters of your org. were already in use by another organization?

For example: doing a random web search to find Alpha Sigma Kappa listings, I found the following interesting tidbits:

(1) There is an academic honor society at Seattle Pacific University called Alpha Sigma Kappa. On digging a bit further, I found that the honorary is actually called Alpha Kappa Sigma (false alarm!)

(2) Barb, you might find this one interesting: the Delta Omicron Chapter of ZTA (Lenoir Rhyne, 1962) began as a local (I assume) called Alpha Sigma Kappa Sorority.

Any body else run into coincidental naming like this?

Well at Illinois college there are two local greek lettered literary societies tht share names with two national fraternities. There is sigma pi literary society which shares it name with Sigma Pi fraternity. The two attempted to merge at one point in the 60s or 70s. And there is also Sigma Phi Epsilon literary society for women also known as sigphip it shares its name with Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter, Sigma Phi Epsilon used to be a local fraternity before we petitioned SigEp. We were Delta Phi Omega (mostly called DPO). After doing a websearch, I figured out there is an ethnic sorority with those letters and a local sorority at some school with them. It's kind of weird to think of because obviously theyre different... biggest difference, theyre sororities. Talk to you later.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
For the record, the NPC sorority, and only true Delta Phi Epsilon was founded March 17, 1917. This Delta Phi Epsilon Foreign Service Fraternity/Sorority wasn't founded until January 11, 1920. So I say we're it Siobhan Besides, after looking at their website, it seems that only the Georgetown Chapter exists at this point.

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon, Celebrating 84 years of Dedication, Pride and Excellence!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Lightbulb

Hellooooo there! I always thought this was an interesting topic!

I was looking at a website for a local "Phi Sigma" and their colors were blue and gold... hmmmm their rose was similar to ours and had alot of similar things... strange... lol

Does anyone know of any Beta Xi Omegas? Thats what our chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma was before!

One interesting thing... the two sororities Im in (Phi Sigs and TBS - national honorary band sorority) have the same rose!
Phi Sigs: American Beauty Rose
TBS: Long Stemmed American Beauty Red Rose

For all of you who need to know the difference... American Beauty's petals curl under differently when they bloom

<3Ali
Old 06-28-2001, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig:

One interesting thing... the two sororities Im in (Phi Sigs and TBS - national honorary band sorority) have the same rose!
Phi Sigs: American Beauty Rose
TBS: Long Stemmed American Beauty Red Rose

For all of you who need to know the difference... American Beauty's petals curl under differently when they bloom

<3Ali

My Fraternity's flower is also the American Beauty rose.. I think it's pretty popular, especially among sororites. (We started out as a women's fraternity, although we've been co-ed for 25+ years).

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 07-01-2001, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Thats cool to know that once they were Phi Sigma Sigma.... hey Laura, I just wanted to let you know I love your site! Its helped me alot... Im 'trying' to start a local christian sorority and Ive learned alot! (also found a few organizations who we might join!!!!)

------------------
Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma
Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron
Old 07-11-2001, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas:
There is a small, regional sorority, Chi Delta Theta, with the same name as an "internet fraternity", read fetish website with paddling for dirty old men.

I never knew that! Chi Delta Theta is actually a California based Asian Interest Sorority. The only have about 5 chapters, they have one at Cal Poly with about 15 girls.

The other National Asian interest Sorority, Kappa Delta Phi, found that when they tried to register, that there was a Fraternity already in place. So, they added a lower case alpha, but they are known as KDPhi...

Old 07-11-2001, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
For the record, most national GLOs are incorporated. I know that many of the NPC groups are not to refer to themselves as "Alpha Beta Gamma, Incorporated" unless it's a business or legal thing. I READ THIS ON A WEBSITE, SO IT'S NOT ESOTERIC.

Yes, Phi Sigma Sigma is really Phi Sigma Sigma Fraternity Inc. Ive noticed that most, if not all, 26 NPC groups refer to themselves as a Fraternity. I think I read that this is because sorority was used to refer to an group that has a brother GLO, and that we do not have brother orgs that we affiliate with. Does anyone else know about this?

<3 Ali

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!
Old 07-11-2001, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

The local fraternity that became my chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha called themselves the CAVALIERS. They purposely picked a non-Greek letter name in order not to show preference to any existing GLO. The Cavaliers were founded in Jan. 1968 here on the campus of Univ. of West Georgia, and became the Eta Sigma Chapter of PiKA on April 29, 1972.

However, several years ago, my chapter was closed due to a period of debt, behavioral problems, etc. After the chapter was closed, several former members organized a local fraternity and reclaimed the name of the CAVALIERS for the organization. This second generation of Cavaliers again eventually became the organization that recolonized the Eta Sigma Chapter of PiKA here at UWG.

But here's the kicker, apparently sometime between 1972 and 1995 there was ANOTHER organization on the UWG campus called the Cavaliers!! From what I've heard it was basically like a big or little brother group to one of the NPHC sororities here on campus. I think it is actually a regional or maybe even national type group that supports one or all of the NPHC groups...can any NPHC members out there shed any light to this?

A funny story though...a few years ago, this Cavalier-Pike local group had a date night at an Atlanta Braves game. The president at that time was wearing a Cavaliers t-shirt. When he was at the concession stand, an older black man behind him got all excited and started talking to him. He said he had been a "Cavalier" at West Georgia and was wondering when the group went inter-racial!! The current Cavalier was totally confused because no one really knew about the other Cavalier group!! It was really too funny!!