GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Psi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,604
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, PhillyPoodle
» Online Users: 1,193
1 members and 1,192 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Just curious about this painting

As of late, I've come across the black greek art painted by WAK. A couple of weeks ago, I came across this picture:

I was confused by this one b/c:
1) KKPsi is not recognized as a black fraternity
2) WAK sites have never displayed this
3) It looks EXACTLY like the Culture painting (Phi Beta Sigma), minus the cane and with the thumb up, also the changed date:

I was just curious to know if this was photoshopped or not.

Last edited by tp2005; 12-28-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

The KKPSi version is NOT the WAK print. Someone photoshopped it. I've seen the Zeta one changed for TBS as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

yea...I thought so. I was just curious for the simple fact that it's very hard to edit. Whoever did that did a good job. lol
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Just curious about this painting

Quote:
Originally posted by tp2005
1) KKPsi is recognized as a black fraternity
What do you mean by this?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Just curious about this painting

Quote:
1) KKPsi is recognized as a black fraternity
KKPsi is not a recognized black fraternity....it is a National Honorary Band Fraternity and Service Organization

National Website

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Just curious about this painting

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
KKPsi is not a recognized black fraternity....it is a National Honorary Band Fraternity and Service Organization

National Website

That's what I was trying to get at, but I didn't want to assume that's what the OP was saying.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
What do you mean by this?
My bad...that was a typo...it's NOT a black fraternity. My bad. lol
Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn

National Website
I'm assuming that you mean that KKPsi is not a BGLO. That is correct. However, there is a very rich Black Greek subculture and identity/mindset within my org (as well as with the sorors of TBS), and the modified image being discussed is reflective of that identity. Now, I do have an opinion on whether that image should have been used or instead of having a new one created, but I won't get into that...
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922

Last edited by blkwebman1919; 12-28-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Just curious about this painting

Quote:
Originally posted by blkwebman1919
However, there is a very rich Black Greek subculture and identity/mindset within my org (as well as with the sorors of TBS), and the modified image being discussed is reflective of that identity.
Perhaps, but I think it's mostly limited to chapters on HBCUs. Or, perhaps even limited to specific regions w/in the fraternity.

I don't think it's something nationals promotes.

Last edited by WCUgirl; 12-28-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, in relation to this topic, I know KKPsi and TBS are honorary, but in the greek world, is KKPsi considered to be greek, like from a respect and acceptance standpoint? B/c it seems like anytime someone implies that KKPsi's aren't real, despite their letters, they throw a fit.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, in relation to this topic, I know KKPsi and TBS are honorary, but in the greek world, is KKPsi considered to be greek, like from a respect and acceptance standpoint? B/c it seems like anytime someone implies that KKPsi's aren't real, despite their letters, they throw a fit.
That's an interesting question. I started this thread addressing the exact same topic.

My chapter was adamant about not being called "Greeks." That was part of the reason why I joined my sorority, b/c I wanted the social Greek experience.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just curious about this painting

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Perhaps, but I think it's mostly limited to chapters on HBCUs. Or, perhaps even limited to specific regions w/in the fraternity.

I don't think it's something nationals promotes.
Agreed. That's a whole separate topic. Suffice it to say, that the Black Greek identity in KKPsi/TBS has found its niche within the auspices of the principles of the national Fraternity (and Sorority, although I don't presume to speak for the ladies of TBS), as far as we're concerned...
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We consider ourselves Greek --- as Greek as any other Greek-Lettered Organization. As far as respect and acceptance, you'll get a different answer depending on whom you ask. On some campuses, KKPsi and TBS are not visible or they're the upstarts and therefore, they've got an uphill battle to prove themselves in the eyes of the other Greeks. Then, on the other hand, you've got campuses where KKPsi literally "runs the yard" (and not just at HBCUs, I can think of at least a couple of PWC chapters where the blue and white fam is strong).

The word "Honorary" in the formal name of the Fraternity implies that it is an "honor to be selected to serve" (a phrase very familiar to those in the Bond); the meaning here is different from the usual connotation of "honorary" (e.g., an honorary doctorate).

I can understand some of the animosity some of the fam has when they are accused of "not being real", or "copying", or being wannabees, or what have you. I used to get the same questions in undergrad. You can't make someone accept you, and "begging" for it won't make any difference.

We've just had to come to the realization that rather than look for acceptance or "respect", we just need to do what we do best: Uphold and fulfill the principles which we hold dear. If we're holding it down the way we're supposed to, the rest will take care of itself. I've been to a lot of campuses where the Psi and TBS are respected within the Greek community.

Surprisingly what I'm hearing more from the bruhs and sorors these days, though, is that some of the "hateration" from other groups comes from the tightknit closeness from our bruhs and sorors that people see on many campuses, that is less evident in some of the other Greek organizations these days.

All KKPsi and TBS share a common thread --- the band. Those same bruhs and sorors who were on line together also sweated with you through band camp and marching season. The brotherhood doesn't stop with the end of MIP; it continues on the football field, the parade ground, and with every musical performance.

So, to answer the question. KKPsi is Greek --- and I wouldn't have it any other way...
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922
Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

As stated before that pic if a photoshoped version of the one for Phi Beta Sigma (good job to)....and yes Psi is greek...its just not recognised on most campuses as greek because we dont sit on anyones "National fratenal councel"( the frat has been known to be involed with NPHL councels on a few campuses)..and the Honorary that we carry confuses alot of people.....

I realy wish some one would start to make art for the frat be it black, white,latin whatever,..It would be nice to have somthing of our own....I may have to talk to a cat I know....
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SIGMAtivity
Smile This is a photoshopped retouch... BUT IT'S GREAT!!!

I love the picture but I must say that it has been retouched by an inspired soul thristing for his affiliations to be repected and recognized. Thank you for sharing it with us.... AEA.