GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,606
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, Testergko
» Online Users: 1,249
2 members and 1,247 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Who are they trying to kid?

Until recently I had never heard of Swing phi Swing and Groove Phi Groove and after looking at some of their websites, my question is, are they a wanna be sorority and fraternity?

I hope no one takes offense to this. I just want to know what is so different. All of the sites I looked at boasted about being unique but everything I saw was reminiscent if not copy- catish of BGLOs, from the letter wearing to the hand signs and line names on down.

Is this just another case of some that couldn't quite cut it banding together and starting another group or is there something genuinely different about them?

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, just speaking my mind and trying to get some info.

Please share your thoughts or any info you have on the situation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2003, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a good friend that's a Groove and a girlfriend's brother is also a Groove. Apparently they have been in existence as a social fraternity for quite some time. There is a pretty big Groove/Swing contingent here in the Philadelphia area.

The Swings are the female contingent. They are not an aux though.

From what I have grown to understand, the Groove/Swing relationship is a lot similar to the Zeta Phi Beta/Phi Beta Sigma relationship. They are like brother and sister. I guess it can also be equated with Phirst Pham (Alphas & AKA's), Coleman Love(Deltas & Omegas) and Indiana Love (Kappas and SGRhos).

I really don't know what their ideals are (I haven't really researched them). They do just about everything else-they "pledge", they step, they have gatherings. They even have National Conclaves. The only thing that's really different is that they are not a BGLO.

Hope this helps to shed some light on things...
Old 05-02-2003, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't been on here in a looong while (I used to be Enforcer00). But anyway, Groove Phi Groove S.F.I. has been around since 1962. They came about during the Civil Rights struggle because they didn't see BGLOs doing the kind of work they wanted to do. They are not a fraternity but a "social fellowship." http://www.groove-phi-groove.org/
Old 05-03-2003, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all who have replied to my question. I have learned a little more about the two organizations but not what makes them so different as they proclaim to be. Everything I saw on their sites were things that BGLOs do, e.g. have lines, hand signs, boules, etc.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Think of it this way. What makes us as BGLOS different from each other? Someone looking from the outside in may say the same thing about us.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

In response to what has been said to try to give me a little info on these two organizations I respect all that has been said because it is someone's opinion, yet I think my point is still being missed!

As far as BGLOs, there are many things that are similiar from the purpose of the organizations to programs put on in the community. My point about these two organizations is why profess to be so different and take pride in not being a BGLO when everything you do is reminiscent of them.

Let me give a specific example: why the pledge lines when you pride your organization on not being a BGLO? Although pledge lines are not copyrighted or by any means property of BGLOs, it is and has been something associated with them since the beginning of time (exaggeration for illustration!).

As for my soror that responded, I feel you and hopefully now that I have tried to clarify what I was really asking, you will understand me better.....if not, it's all cool, there's still nothing but dove love! Z-Phi!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Koss28
Interesting...
Old 05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZETA_ACE2003
As far as BGLOs, there are many things that are similiar from the purpose of the organizations to programs put on in the community. My point about these two organizations is why profess to be so different and take pride in not being a BGLO when everything you do is reminiscent of them.
I see your point, and it's a valid one. There could be any variety of reasons why the organziations chose to adopt certain traditions. Maybe the genesis of the organization is different than its goals today? Maybe their desire to be different than BGLOs revolved around missions and goals rather than "traditions?" Maybe they were looking at other worldwide traditions to adopt (military, Africanism, etc). that are similar to some of the traditions of BGLOs but not with the intent of "mimicing" BGLO traditions? Maybe the individual local fellowships adopted the traditions on the campus. NPHC groups are not the only ones to do the traditions we do, although we have tended to be the most visible.

In short, I don't know. I suppose that a member of either group would be best qualified to speak on the topic.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Koss28
I would be willing to answer any questions you might have.

I talked to ZETA_ACE2003 and hopefully answered all of her questions.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Why isn't Groove / Swing BGLO?

Hello Zeta Ace:

As a proud member of Groove Phi Groove S.F.I. for nearly 30 years, I'm always asked why aren't you guys in the Pan Hellenic Council. The very foundational principal in the formation of the Fellowship was and still is an obeservance of the Ancient Kemitic teachings pre-dating Greek culture by nearly 1,000 years.

Perhaps you are aware of Imothep from which modern medicine has it's genesis and the scholastic teachings of Kemetic academicians from whom Greeks sat at the feet of and learned of disciplines such as philosophy, mathmatics, chemistry, masonry (as in the building trade) and the embalming process just to name a few.

In 1962, 14 students at Morgan State College now Morgan State University found it necessary to address the problems confronting the African American community. However, as collegians enlightened by the contributions of their forefathers, they sought to develop an organization that adhered to their contribution to the race and world society at large.

I'd like to make perfectly clear how much admoration I have for the BGLO"s as they have made a tremendous contribution to our community on a local, national and international level. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for the Alpha's to form in Ithaca, NY and Kappa's in rural Indiana in the early 20th century. The subsequent foundations of Omega, AKA, Delta, Zeta, SGR and Iota also forged a nucleus by which our communities needs could be addressed.

However, our (Grooves') contingent is why pay homage to a culture i.e. Greek which looted piledged and stole from the those (Africans) who so freely shared all they had? There are many chronicles that substantiate this fact not the least of them is "Stolen Legacy" by George G.M. James. By the way, this is required reading by Swanxmen during their orientation process.

In closing, am I Greek hatin'. NO! My very own late brother was a Kappa, my neice an AKA my dear sister-in-law a Delta and one of my dearest friends an Omega. As I've grown older I look more at similarities than differences. I submit to you that if my Groove self and any BGLO fraternity man were walking through Keep Running, Mississippi, we would certainly be confronted by the same nemises and subsequently seek a collective resolve to removing our asses quickly from harms way. LOL!

I hope I've shed some light on your questions regarding Groove and my beautiful sisters of Swing Phi Swing. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to hit me up at harbren2@yahoo.com.

Much love to you and all your beuatiful Zeta Sorors...some of which I've had the pleasure of meeting at Groove convention during the mid 90's in Philadelphia.

Peace & Blessings,

Harold H.B. Sullivan
Detroit Graduate Chapter
Groove Phi Groove, S.F.I.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother, You couldn't have stated that any better. Keep on Groovin'

Michael Diggs
Groove Phi Groove S.F.I.
Central Jersey Graduate Chapter
mgdiggs@hotmail.com
Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Iknow that Grooves have responded, but I wanted to add my 1913 cents worth.

When I was in college at SIU Carbondale in the late 60s the Grooves were active in Chicago. However, as mentioned they formed for a totally different reason than the BGLOs. And not once in my memory did they try to imitate BGLOs. They were their own organization and some even pledged BGLOs.

Unlike many new orgs trying to be GLOs that was never the Groove's intent. In fact they did more in the "movement" than some members of the NPHC did. I respected them then and I respect them now.

Oh and back then even the BGLOs didn't have hand signs or calls. That began happening in the late 70s early 80s.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Sigh
Groove Phi Groove is not trying to replace the BGLO system nor are they anti-greek they are an Alternative.

P.S. Just a small shout out to all my big Bros of Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship INNNNCORPORATED!!! G-Sweeeet!

Groove-Sweet to my Black and White Family!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I love Groove Phi til I Die!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhi49erBeast View Post
I love Groove Phi til I Die!!!
LMAO!