GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,062
2 members and 2,060 guests
PGD-GRAD, zisaacivanovoz9

Old 07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Correct Me if I am wrong, but Most if not all Houses are owned by House Corporations or Alum Associatins.

Also Rudey, there are What is Called Lodges that do not House Members except maybe someone to keep and eye on it from ass wipes who may want to screw with it!

Trash it or what ever.

Do you just act stupid or are you? Oh, Your a Big Time Flyer arent you!

Give it a rest will you?
I didn't say they housed members.

I just posted some pictures since the Elks did come up and we are in a thread with pictures of houses.

-Rudey
--Speak your mind, but watch your tongue.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Give it a Rest.

What the heck did it have to do with anything? Your usual Genere!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-08-2005, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, Nice Pictures, but has nothing to do with GLOs of GreeKChat!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Give it a Rest.

What the heck did it have to do with anything? Your usual Genere!
Someone brought up the Elks - especially given that NPHC fraternities sometimes have houses that don't house people but are meeting places, etc.

This is a thread on houses.

Additionally, groups like the Elks and Masons are discussed frequently on Greekchat.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 07-08-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, Nice Pictures, but has nothing to do with GLOs of GreeKChat!
Do I have to bring back the signature or are you going to behave?

I wasn't talking with you to begin with so keep quiet.

-Rudey
Old 07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irishpipes
I was told by one of our alums from UT that way back a UT alum donated the money for the Panhellenic Dorm with the stipulation that the University would NEVER allow sorority houses. I don't know why she made that stipulation though. I can't get used to Auburn and UT - 2 huge southern Greek schools - not having sorority houses.
Actually, the state of TN until recently had what is known as a "Brothel Law". Any housing that had over a certain number of females living together (I don't know the actual number) constituted a brothel. Therefor, no colleges in TN have sorority housing. The law has been changed and you will probably start to see some houses/lodges start to develop soon. Don't know why they don't have houses at Auburn.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Omega Psi Phi @ USC Greek Village

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
The following is a excerpt from an artical in today's edition of The State newspaper, Columbia,SC:

Omega Psi Phi builds $2 million Greek house at USC

Columbia,SC (AP) -- Omega Psi Phi is building the first residence hall for a black fraternity on the University of South Carolina campus.

The $2 million fraternity house will be the national fraternity's first investment of its kind on any campus and make USC one of a handful of large, state-supported universities in the South to have campus housing owned by an African-American Greek organiztion.

The fratenity decided to build at USC partly because of president Andrew Sorenson's personal outreach to local and national Omega leaders, said George Grace, national president of the fraternity.

Dr. Sorenson said he wanted an African-American presence (in the Greek Village), and we happened to be in a position economically to do it," Grace said.

ABout $300,000 has been raised for construction for the house, which will accomodate 40 students and include common rooms and a food service area, said Tony Grant, an Omega member and former Bank of America executive who has helped to raise funds.

There are 15 houses in the university's Greek campus in downtown Columbia. Five more, including the Omega house, are under contract. The existing houses have averaged investments of $1.5 million apiece, for a total investment of $22.5 million. The houseson the drawing board will boost the total to more than $30 million.

Each house has four to five employees.

Omega Psi Phi and other minority fraternities have missed out on potential recruites and memberships have been low because it has been difficult to compete with Greek organizations with big houses and hundreds of members, said Dylan Bess, a 2004 USC graduate who is a national vice president with the fraternity.

"This house will help students see we are not limited," Bess said.

"Que Psi Phi 'til the day I die!"
There is a story and some video at www.wistv.com. The local TV stations covered the groundbreaking. The video on WIS shows the rendering in the news story so you can see it. There is also a link to a story on www.wltx.com. Enjoy!!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bulldogzeta
Actually, the state of TN until recently had what is known as a "Brothel Law". Any housing that had over a certain number of females living together (I don't know the actual number) constituted a brothel. Therefor, no colleges in TN have sorority housing. The law has been changed and you will probably start to see some houses/lodges start to develop soon. Don't know why they don't have houses at Auburn.
Calling 33girl and adpiucf...

Sorry, hon. There is NO SUCH THING as a "brothel law," no matter what everyone on your campus has said for the last 398 million years.

Read This. And this.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 07-08-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
Calling 33girl and adpiucf...

Sorry, hon. There is NO SUCH THING as a "brothel law," no matter what everyone on your campus has said for the last 398 million years.

Read This. And this.
Exactly. According to Wikipedia (one of the founders of it is an AU alum, so I figure he's got his stuff straight), AU does not have sorority housing because of a grant stipulation many years ago. I think that may have only been in effect for a certain period of time, because I asked someone high up in the housing department and they said that now it's more of a space problem--all the land that has been acquired by the University was already designated for another use (like new class buildings, etc.) and the closest spots of available land large enough (should the sororities wish to try to buy plots and start building) are far from campus. That's why the proposed housing is supposed to be where some on-campus apartments are currently.

Last edited by bekibug; 07-08-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bulldogzeta
Vanderbilt University's (Nashville, Tennessee) NPC chapters all have housing and for some time.

Vanderbilt Sororities

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Delta Pi

Alpha Omicron Pi

Chi Omega

Delta Delta Delta

Delta Gamma

Kappa Alpha Theta

Kappa Delta

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Pi Beta Phi

Last edited by TSteven; 07-10-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama

Zeta Eta ADPi @ U of North Alabama - The university just built new sorority dorms - for ZTA, Phi Mu, ADPi, & Alpha Gam - I believe there is a BGLO there too but I am not sure. They really are beautiful and large.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega House @ USC

This house will sleep 40 members? I thought most black fraternities had undergraduate membership numbers that were well below 40, except maybe at historically black colleges. How big are the BGLO chapters at USC?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Re: Omega House @ USC

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex1899
This house will sleep 40 members? I thought most black fraternities had undergraduate membership numbers that were well below 40, except maybe at historically black colleges. How big are the BGLO chapters at USC?
Maybe it's not just for undergrads (?). For example, say an Omega from New York was down speaking. He could stay at the house and not have to worry about finding a hotel in the city.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Still without the revenues from brothers or alumni living in, I wonder how many fraternities would pursue this (given that it's much more difficult).

-Rudey
In reference to Rudey when he asked Wolfman, our graduate (alumni) chapter has and maintanins a house that none of the members live in. We financially maintain the house in part by renting a space to a businessman and the members are 'taxed' in our dues. The house is paid for so the money from our dues goes towards the utilities and city / county taxes. We have ~ 80 financial members in my chapter so the cost is spread out evenly among all members.

From what I know, most alumni chapters of NPHC greeks maintain a house / office building to hold meetings and functions. In our case we also allow our undergraduates to use our house for recruitment functions and inductions.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi Conniebama

Zeta Eta ADPi @ U of North Alabama - The university just built new sorority dorms - for ZTA, Phi Mu, ADPi, & Alpha Gam - I believe there is a BGLO there too but I am not sure. They really are beautiful and large.
The same thing was done at the University of Houston. The school built a greek village for all of the greeks on campus. Each org just had to indicate if they wanted sapce or not.