GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 2,500
1 members and 2,499 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-04-2001, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

33 girl
i like your definition--it makes sense. HHmmm...ADPi has chartered 188 chapters and currently has around 138 still open. Granted several of those chapters are at colleges that kicked greeks off all together. I was looking at the schools the we had closed at and most of them are either in the northwest or north--but that's ok--we've always known we were a southern/midwestern sorority:-)

ErikaXO-
Thank you for the complement :-) XO is DEFINITLY a strong sorority nationally. Anywhere I go, I'm bound to meet someone that is a XO, married to one, or a legacy to one. That's pretty cool!

Also--I had my stats wrong about KKG and KAT. They've both chartered 130-something chapters but each has around 110 still active. Thats still a GREAT success rate--go Kappa and Theta!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2001, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPiKnight
It's actually really funny to read these post. A lot of the sororities that have been considered "elite" are not even the top 5 at my school which goes to show that it all varies place to place and year to year. Two bad rushes can kill a chapter.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
ok, well if we are using numbers to call ourselves "elite", Alpha Xi Delta has 110 active chapters. Hmmm....isn't that the same number as the other "elite" soroities????
Old 10-08-2001, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, although I agree with many comments here, I do not think it is numbers alone. You can have 200 chapters, but if only a few are strong chapters it means nothing.

I still just think some groups are always considered strong, no matter how they really are.

I think we all are in groups that are great, no matter how anyone looks at your chapter or otherwise it is your chapter and your national organization, be proud to be what you are and don't worry about the rest. I wish this didn't upset anyone, I guess you cannot make 100% of the peolpe happy 100% of the time.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't even want to get into the debate I just waned to put some of my GLOs facts out there:

AXO
over 130 active collegiate chapters
over 200 active alumna chapters
over 170,000 living initiated members
Old 11-28-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Elite sororities

Just want to add my 2 cents here,

Personally I think all sororities are elite, meaning I respect all sororities here in Iowa State. They do all great things, they are fun, they are hard workers and they are smart. We all are Greek Community after all.

Honor to these Iowa State University sororities:
Pi Beta Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Chi
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha Delta Pi
Sigma Kappa
Alpha Omicron Pi
Chi Omega
Kappa Delta
Alpha Gamma Delta
Old 11-28-2001, 05:03 PM

oh man! I can't believe people have balls enough to call themselves "elite", that just deserves a slap. At SU, there wasn't an elite, there were grades A, B, C, D. Which is shallow in and of itself, but you'd be surprised how relations between groups are based on them. I'm not going to give ratings here because I don't want to insult houses and give those with ego problems even bigger ones.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

These posts make me giggle. First of all: we obviously define elite differently. Secondly, everyone is going to think of their own experiences.

The ones that are named over and over seem to be:

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi
Alpha Delta Pi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma

We have all but DG on my campus, the other state school has DG and let's suffice to say they are not the best house on campus. The Kappas on my campus are known as partiers and they rolled a keg into the house during work week my sophomore year. The Pi Phis are currently on social probation and the ADPi and Tri Delt are the two weakest houses on campus. As for the Thetas you can read my post on famous pledges.

I don't make this post to talk trash on other GLOs. I just wrote it to illustrate that chapters are all different and neither age nor number of members has anthing to do with it. I feel that all GLOs have prestige and it's different from town to town.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01
oh man! I can't believe people have balls enough to call themselves "elite", that just deserves a slap. At SU, there wasn't an elite, there were grades A, B, C, D. Which is shallow in and of itself, but you'd be surprised how relations between groups are based on them. I'm not going to give ratings here because I don't want to insult houses and give those with ego problems even bigger ones.

Can you please explain how the system works??
Old 11-28-2001, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime

Can you please explain how the system works??
It was quite simple actually. A - "Elite", best looking girls, active in the community, a good house to be assoicated with.
B- Maybe more down to earth, still cute, a good house to be associated with, but not all hot.
C- Some hotties, nice girls, not first choice though, avoid if ya can.
D- Unpopular, unconcerned with image, not all that great looking, detrimental to be associated with.

See, i said the system is pretty shallow, and did I buy into it? Absoultely, if you don't buy into a given system you may be able to keep your original values, but you'll never be accepted, nor will your chapter. i wish it were different, but anyone stating that it is is full of it.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:01 PM

I don't think everyone has an actual rating system, but that is pretty much the way it is across the board, wouldn't you say? Using that system, when I was in school there were 3 As, 1 C and 3 Ds. But this is referring to individual campus activity, and as we have all seen a chapter that is an "A" at one school is a "D" at another and so on.....no chapter is totally immune. If I recall, the original question that started this thread referred to overall national image.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

If I have said it once, I have said it Thrice!
We are all special people
We stand up to the plate, play the game, get involved, and do more than most!

What part of this do you not understand

Hell we fight between ourselves when there is a common enemy out there (lack for a better word) who wish all of us were gone! Not just the GDI but some of the Colleges! When do we semi grow up and figure this out?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-29-2001, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiMuJennaJen20 Send a message via AIM to PhiMuJennaJen20
hmm.

dictionary.com defines elite as:

A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status

Right now, none of you are acting very "elite," because you're bickering so much and thus not being the elite social person. Calm down. Breathe. Be proud to be who you are. And head over to the greek unity post. Frankly, whether or not greek unity is a possibility on your own campus, I think we all should strive for it here. We all have shown even MORE interested in the Greek system by being members here. We all want to strive to be the best. So calm down! Be elite in something else. Like manners.

Good luck to all who are finishing up this semester. Study hard!
Old 11-29-2001, 10:36 PM

I agree with PhiMu's post. We all had different campus experiences, which many of us have mentioned, and the original intention of this thread was not to cause arguing. It was an innocent and honest question that has been addressed quite enough. Unfortunately, there were those who became defensive when some answers were suggested, and a number of people who were offended by the various posts. There is no definitive answer. This thread died once.....why can't we lay it to rest again?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Thumbs up

I agree with Erika 100%!