GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 2,378
2 members and 2,376 guests
Jerryhak

Old 09-16-2001, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I do agree that this is too hard of a topic. There may be group(s) that are nationally strong, but it boils down to who was good on your campus. I think no matter how awesome a groups is nationally, you always use your experience with that group.

All NPC groups are great, but the older the group is has a lot to do with numbers and strength...I think so at least.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2001, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

hrm...
Old 09-19-2001, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaChiS2K
I think this is an interesting thread... I agree with what 33girl and others have had to say, that the BEST house is the one that's BEST for you.

By our very definition, Greeks are elite. We choose some women and not others. We are hierarchal and in some cases, Greeks socialize only with other Greeks (but I bet everyone reading this maintains friendships beyond their chapter!). So by that definition, all houses are elitist.

AXO is not the largest sorority in the country. We do not boast the most famous members, and at some schools we are probably not the most desired by rushees. On my campus, we are one of the top 4 houses, so I guess that makes us "elite" here. But what has kept me so close with my chapter is not our 98% rushee return rate or the reaction from people when I wear my letters. It is the foundations we were built upon and continue to live our lives according to. The Symphony of Alpha Chi Omega for me, defines grace, class, and dignity. I am sure that for each of you out there, you have similar feelings about your chapter. So let's stop worrying over who's "elite" or who's the "best," and accept that we have a myriad of houses because we are such a diverse population, and each house is special and valued by the girls in it.

I think the term "elite" is alot like the term "sex appeal." Like Sophia Loren said, "It's half what you've got, half what other people THINK you've got."

*steps off soapbox*
Old 09-19-2001, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

AMEN AlphaChiS2K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait a gosh darn mintue...

Most people are naming larger organizations in place of "elite" organizations. The definition of elite is, "a small but powerful group." Just because an organization has more members than another doesn't mean it's more elite. Some people would think that just means that the organization would make anyone a member. That wouldn't make an organization elite at all. I think elite organizations are highly selective, prestigious and very in demand. Many have said this can differ from region to region.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

MY NPC POV...

In my eyes, NPC groups are judged on size when you ask about being elite.

Like many NPC groups the larger you are the more well known you are and the more you are able to do for your members and the community.

I guess I look at it as more Potential Members want that group and the elite groups are more sought after, but that's how it was at my school, and how I think it is in NC if not NPC nationally.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
This thread makes me laugh. The fuitility of it is astounding. Its like bickering over which is better: Vanillia or Chocolate.

Heres a new one for you.. Which is the least elite sorority around?? The obvious answer is my own beloved national. How many of you have ever heard of Theta Phi Alpha?? Not many I assure you. It is only large at a few sparse school, mine included. We are # 7 in our GLO. But does it matter?? I sure dont lose any sleep over it. The only thing that concerns me is the wonderful woman that surround me, and the great things that we do for each other and the community.

So when you bother to ponder which Sorority is the most "elite", dont worry about it too much, or you may miss the best years of your life, wondering about petty things.
Old 09-21-2001, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Well said TPA! You can't compare a group who has 150,000 initiates with one that has only 50,000. Groups that are older have had more time to establish their roots and grow. Delta Phi Epsilon is only 84 years young. We continue to grow and flourish with three new colonies starting this year. We may not be elite in the eyes of all of the world, but it's not the point to me. Without D Phi E, I wouldn't have made it through college...wouldn't have made the lifelong friendship I have with my sisters, even though I graduated 5 years ago. I wouldn't have gotten to volunteer on a national level and meet all of the wonderful sisters I have from all over the country and in Canada (GO SIOB ). Say what you will about all of the sororities. The most elite in my heart will of course be D Phi E, but I believe we all can learn from EVERY sorority. So if you're a Kappa or a Theta or a TPA or a D Phi E, let's learn from each other, support each other, and live the Panhellenic way in boosting our sorority system. When that happens, we will all be called elite, no matter what letters we have!
Old 09-21-2001, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think anyone is fighting.

I do not think it matters if your organization is thought of as elite or not. I think every campus and every city is so different that you need to choose the group who is the best fit; there are too many factors to determine things like this.

I do think there are always going to be sororites who are thought of as elite and no one will change that, it isn't something to fight over.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry WHAT THE?

It is time to forget this bashing crap!

In each area of the country each Fraternity and each Soroity are stronger than some!

In each School there are some stronger than others!

It is time to really figure out that we as Greeks are stronger than the norm, we do more, have better GPA, serve the community and school more, and upon Graduation do better, and donate more money back to the school as Alums!

Yes, I am better as I learned more by doing , participating, supporting, involvement and having a better feeling from what I learned as A Greek in college than 95 % of the people with sheepskins on the wall!

We are the elite no matter what Organization we are from.

Da, Figure it out now! What say ye to that Poor Yorrick?

Ever notice how much weight he lost!

this is a fun site and I for one want to keep it that way.

I may be getting OLD AND CRUSTY, but hope not Stupid Yet!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-25-2001, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
Quote:
Originally posted by SparkliiQTMTSU
I don't really think that our soroities at my school are all that elite but I do know that the Chi Omega's have the repuation of being stuck up and that they care way too much about money. The KD's are pretty popular though. I do know that our DZ chapter is the smallest sorority at our school and they arent all that elite. I don't really know too much about the other sororities though

Nichole

Nichole,
I guess you meant by your post in the Chi Omega forum......

"Have a great rush MTSU Chi-O's!!
Hey girls! I just wanted to say Have a wonderful rush this week! I know you will get many great sisters! I hope you have a great week!

*Nichole*

that you wanted to wish us the best of luck in getting the most snotty and greediest girls MTSU has to offer!! Thank you! Please keep me posted if we accomplished our goal!

he he he he he - just kidding Nicole - I just thought it was ironic - the two posts your wrote. I'm sorry you felt the MTSU girls were like that...I hope they give you a better impression in the coming years of your college experience. Sue
Old 09-25-2001, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, of course this has probably been said, but it bears repeating: any chapter can be the elite on any campus, and conversely any chapter can be the animal house of the campus, or not really that well regarded. People should work hard to improve their chapter.

Here at Nebraska, I would say that the top sororities are (in no particular order)

Kappa Alpha Theta
Gamma Phi Beta
Chi Omega

These are the ones that jump out in my mind, but every house has it's advantages. Plus I haven't interacted with ladies from all the houses, so I may be missing someone like A Phi or A Chi O.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ees125
I have to agree with Leslie Anne on this one. She made some very valid points along with some other people who posted on this thread. For example anyone at all who said that all sororities are elite since not everyone is in a sorority...or that each chapter as something different to offer.

We are all elite in our own eyes...each chapter has something special that they can contribute that maybe another can not at a certain time. It always was frustrating to me that all sororities don't get along better than we do...and I am not saying at every school or every sorority, because I have seen on Greekchat that there are schools where other sororities are there for one another...wish it happened more often.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is everyone so upset over this?

I thought it was common knowledge that some NPC groups are more well known/stronger than others.

I mean, locally and nationally are two separate issues. Some groups are stronger in some areas and weak in others, but they all balance out, why is that a crazy concept?

I was not aware we couldn't discuss sorority standings without upsetting everyone.

AOT
Old 09-26-2001, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that Tau Delta TriMu is the best because they have all the blondes, but if you are going for the richest Alpha Nu Xi is the best because it costs SO much money and your parents have to make at least a million a year to get in. The worst sorority though is Rho Gamma Sigma Beta because their girls are all fat, you have to weigh 300 pounds to get in there and also they don't bathe.

I mean come on! ELITE? I can tell you right now for a FACT which sorority is the most ELITE! THe one that tries to live up to the ideals their founders set, day by day. If you strive to attain what ideals you sorority stands for you are elite.

That is my $.04 worth!

Facebook