GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 1,632
0 members and 1,632 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Well said Theta-cutie, as a Kappa--I very much want my sorority to remain one of the "best"--but you must respect each other to remain on top.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2001, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
Don't forget Delta Zeta if you are looking for a Social Sorority, we are one of the largest International Sororities in the World. I was once told we were the largest, but I don't think that is true any longer.

Hey...I saw that ur quote is from Steel Magnolias...Did u know that Shelby in real life was a Phi Mu? Thats why everyting is pink. I heard they also made Julia Roberts an honorary Phi Mu cuz of that movie. Just wanted to let u know!

------------------
I duno what I been told, Phi Mu girls are made of gold!
Phildo
PM W'00
Old 07-06-2001, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Angry

This thread makes me so mad. Yes ADPi was the first sorority, and Phi Mu came in 1852 and is the 2nd. I think they used to be secret societies, dont remember the whole story. But numbers shouldnt decide whether that particular sorority is "elite" or not. I personally enjoy my small sorority. The biggest we have been since I've been in is 43 and total is 45. I've noticed that when all you worry about is quantity, the special sisterhood gets lost. So lets look at the personalities of the girls, and not who's prettier, who parties more, who has sex with more fraternity men, or who has more girls. Look at quality.
Old 07-06-2001, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been told by friends at various schools in my state that the "elite" include KKG, Tri-Delt, and KD. None of them have chapters at my school though, so I guess it just varies from place to place like someone else said in this thread. All my black female friends who want to rush a BGLO have told me they want either AKA or Delta. I don't know if that means they are "elite" though, lol.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Well As Far As I Am Concerned, ALL GREEK SOROITYS ARE THE ELITE!
Thank you for you time in this exteme matter!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-07-2001, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

This entire thread is so unnecessary! Each individual chapter is different. You can say that a sorority is "elite" because it was first or whatever, but national organizations don't always reflect the local chapters.

For instance, at my school Phi Mu, KD, and ADPi would be considered "good". We also have Chi Omega, Zeta, and AGD that are not "as good" by a popular majority. However, that doesn't mean that these two sororities are not nationally "elite" or desireable. Chi Omega, Zeta and AGD have very good national reputations.

To label any sorority as higher than any other is a waste of time. Take Chi Omega for instance. We all know what happened at a local chapter, but does that mean that ALL Chi-O chapters and their nationals are not "elite"? Every sorority has something to offer each individual sister or perspective member, so don't waste your time trying to label the "elite" sororities.

I think we should all spend a little less time analyzing questions like these with bias and just enjoy our own organizations.

-VSUPhiMu

[This message has been edited by VSUPhiMu (edited July 06, 2001).]
Old 07-07-2001, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I dont like talking about whos the best, whos elite, whos' first... because were all special for a reason. Some orgs are bigger, some are smaller, some changed over from other names to greek letters, some were founded with greek letters, some are big in this state or region, and others not. Just because a chapter of XYZ (or YZ for all of those two letter gals!!! ) isnt big, popular, elite or whatever at your school, or your friends school, dosent mean its not a wonderful worthwhile organization at another school or nationally. You may be a wonderful Phi Sig at school A, but at school b, your personality fits better with the DZ's. Dont listen to anyone but yourself, dont go where your 4th cousins, brothers girlfriends, grandmothers, uncles, sister went... go where (insert your name here) feels at home!!!

Im almost done with my rant, now some Phi Sig preaching...

Y'all already know that Phi Sigma Sigma was the first sorority to let women of all faiths join in sisterhood... so I dont need to repeat it... hehe

One thing Ive noticed about Phi Sig is we are 'big' and 'popular' (we have alot of chapters in...) Pennsylvania...(I hate typing out my states name, PA works just fine for me!) New York, Florida and believe it or not California! Ive looked through the chapter roll, and counting all chapters (even deactivated ones) there are a ton in PA! I was amazed... well its my bed time!!
<3 Ali

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!
Old 07-08-2001, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amandapss:
On the east coast I find the opposite University of Maryland has the only GPhiB Chapter in the state. At least in Maryland, Phi Sigma Sigma, Kappa Delta, AOPi, and ZTA are the larger sororities. So I think this shows that it varies from state to state or even region to region.
I have to agree with you that in Maryland and even New Jersey and New York houses such as Phi Sig KD, AOPi and ZTA are very strong! Down south sororities are viewed VERY differently then they are here in Maryland and I suppose that older houses are indeed seen as more prestigious...but either way I am still very proud of Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 07-08-2001, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
On the east coast I find the opposite University of Maryland has the only GPhiB Chapter in the state. At least in Maryland, Phi Sigma Sigma, Kappa Delta, AOPi, and ZTA are the larger sororities. So I think this shows that it varies from state to state or even region to region.
I have to agree with you that in Maryland and even New Jersey and New York houses such as Phi Sig KD, AOPi and ZTA are very strong! Down south sororities are viewed VERY differently then they are here in Maryland and I suppose that older houses are indeed seen as more prestigious...but either way I am still very proud of Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 07-08-2001, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have to agree with you that in Maryland and even New Jersey and New York (and at U of Deleware) houses such as Phi Sig are very strong! Down south sororities are viewed VERY differently then they are here in Maryland and I suppose that older houses are indeed seen as more prestigious...but either way I am still very proud of Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 07-08-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
I have to agree with you that in Maryland and even New Jersey and New York (and at U of Deleware) houses such as Phi Sig are very strong! Down south sororities are viewed VERY differently then they are here in Maryland and I suppose that older houses indeed seen as being more prestigious...but either way I am still very proud of Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 07-09-2001, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I had to respond because I just was reading something in Time, I think, that noted Theta as being an "elite" sorority because of it's famous affiliations currently. They were writing about the Bush girls, Laura Bush was a Theta, and now Jenna Bush...all us at the house thought it was an interesting comment on Theta, since we don't really see us as elitests, but as down to earth girls!
Old 09-15-2001, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Angry

VSUPHIMU

You maybe upset about the elite sorority thing. But you did wrong by singling out who is good at VSU and who is not in YOUR OPINION.

As you know everyone has their own opinion who is good or not. It might look bad if you thought Phi Mu was bad. You could have made your point without insulting the other sororities. But since you did single out sororites your going to hear my opinion.

First what do you consider good? Each sorority has a fraterntiy they primarily (yes I know no sorority hangs out exclusively with one fraternity)have guys that like them. So could you mean popular with guys? I know many guys from almost every fraternity and I never here them talking big about Phi Mu. Heck from what I seen most fraternity guys on the campus date GDI's in alot of cases. Could you mean best by winning awards and good at scholarship? Chi Omega and Zta have won almost all the president cups and greek week awards in the past five years. Heck AGD has been here only 3 years and they came one award short of winning presidents cup.

I think every sorority has made great strides in the past years and no sorority is realy better than the other. Kappa Alpha and ADPI would be the "elite" from this school simply because they most the local people and the people with lots of money. But looking at the people they have got that title may change soon. So if you chose best by achievements Phi MU would be on the bottom. Do I really believe one sorority is better than another? No. I just decided to single out since you did. Just about every sorority and fraternity on campus have has socials with supposed "elite" groups. What does that mean? Wouldn't only the elites talk to the elites? That just proves there are none and no real best groups.

Oh and I know you will make a comment on how TKE on the campus is at the bottom here too. Well, let me just comment on that too. Yes TKE here hasn't won many awards or been the biggest fratenity. But I do believe we are getting better especially since after rush that ended yesterday. We will now be a 50+ chapter and definately not the smallest chapter on campus. We even done very well in greek week last year compared to past ones and we are in contention for awards this year. Sorority that in the past would not have nothing to do with TKE now have members that hang out. Their social chairs now call us instead of us them.

Well thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Please try not to single anyone out again. Everyone has their own good qualities.

Last edited by The1calledTKE; 09-26-2001 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2001, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I don't really think that our soroities at my school are all that elite but I do know that the Chi Omega's have the repuation of being stuck up and that they care way too much about money. The KD's are pretty popular though. I do know that our DZ chapter is the smallest sorority at our school and they arent all that elite. I don't really know too much about the other sororities though

Nichole
Old 09-15-2001, 08:56 PM

What I believe to be elite among HBGLO's...

Alpha Kappa Alpha
Delta Sigma Theta
Zeta Phi Beta
Sigma Gamma Rho

(from oldest to newest top to bottom..)