GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 2,039
1 members and 2,038 guests
Jerryhak

Old 06-10-2004, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neonsparkles
Also, is it "ok" to ask people you do not know for a rec? I would feel a little weird asking someone who didn't know me to write such a letter. Then again, if I had to depend on only the people I know I wouldn't have any of these letters of reccomendation. I'm sure there are girls who are in my exact situation, so how would they go about getting these letters?

Any help would definitely be great and I really appreciate it!
Yes it is. A lot of areas have Alumnae Panhellenic groups whose members do just that and write recs for women.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Rushing in Fall

I'm rushing in Fall at U of Florida, where there are mmm...16 I think NPC sororities. I'm very excited but also very nervous. My mom really doesn't want me to do it, she thinks it's stupid. She still has a very cliche version of sororities as stuck up rich girls who are extremely elitist...obviously I disagree.

Anyways, I just had a few questions/ problems that maybe you girls could address. I've been surfing around and everyone seems great, so hopefully I'll get some good advice. My first prob is that I'm a sophomore...I've heard that'll affect you negatively, I was just wondering...and by nature I'm sort of quiet, but really nice...but people have told me I come of as stuck up and stand-offish just b/c of the quietness...so if you guys have any advice on changing how I come off, b/c I do not want the girls to think I'm a bitch...I'm just...nervous.

And finally, how much is rush based on looks and material things (ie clothes)....I'm really short and I have short, brown hair (which looks better on me than long hair) but I haven't seen a lot of short haired sorority girls. I know that they look for more than surface things, but how much do those things play a part? Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I have short hair, as did a number of women in my chapter when I pledged (of course it was 1987).

Being quiet can hurt your chances a bit (I used to be a lot like what you describe) but it might also make you not feel very comfortable during rush (I speak from my own experience). However, I'm sure you will find some place where you feel at home. Speaking for myself, I hated rush even when I was on the inside. Just hated the whole process.

The whole Rush process may take more work on your part than it would if you were more outgoing but I always think that you cherish more the things you have to work for.

I don't know anything about UF recruitment, and we don't have a chapter there, but you might find it helpful to get recommendations from area alumnae. There is probably an Alumnae Panhellenic group in the area that can hook you up with women who can write you recs. You can go to www.npcwomen.org and find a list of chapters.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Rushing in Fall

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyGoLucky
My first prob is that I'm a sophomore...I've heard that'll affect you negatively, I was just wondering...and by nature I'm sort of quiet, but really nice...but people have told me I come of as stuck up and stand-offish just b/c of the quietness...so if you guys have any advice on changing how I come off, b/c I do not want the girls to think I'm a bitch...I'm just...nervous.

And finally, how much is rush based on looks and material things (ie clothes)....I'm really short and I have short, brown hair (which looks better on me than long hair) but I haven't seen a lot of short haired sorority girls. I know that they look for more than surface things, but how much do those things play a part? Thanks!!!
The sophomore issue is a school by school issue. With Florida being a big school it may be more of an issue....but not enough of an issue where you shouldnt get in. Tell me if I am wrong, but where my sister goes to school (big greek community 1/3 of the school) each chapter usually takes so many sophomores...versus a larger amount of freshman....but sophomores still get in.

Rush based on looks is a stereotype I believe. Of course it is based on looks if you do not shower, your clothes are dirty, etc (any hygiene problems)....but overall it is about you- not what you wear or how you look in general. Do not worry about the short hair.

About the shyness....you will find the house where you belong....and just as you are with your friends you will feel there....so being shy will not be an issue once you find where you feel you belong.

Best of luck sweetie on finding "your" house!!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm rushing in Fall at U of Florida, where there are mmm...16 I think NPC sororities. I'm very excited but also very nervous

how exciting that you are rushing at UF. i grew up in G-ville so I love that town. make sure you keep us posted on your rush experience!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm rushing in Fall at U of Florida, where there are mmm...16 I think NPC sororities. I'm very excited but also very nervous. My mom really doesn't want me to do it, she thinks it's stupid. She still has a very cliche version of sororities as stuck up rich girls who are extremely elitist...obviously I disagree.

Anyways, I just had a few questions/ problems that maybe you girls could address. I've been surfing around and everyone seems great, so hopefully I'll get some good advice. My first prob is that I'm a sophomore...I've heard that'll affect you negatively, I was just wondering...and by nature I'm sort of quiet, but really nice...but people have told me I come of as stuck up and stand-offish just b/c of the quietness...so if you guys have any advice on changing how I come off, b/c I do not want the girls to think I'm a bitch...I'm just...nervous.

I'm 4'9, went through rush as a junior, and at the time had short brown hair. Your class rank may weigh in on your chances of receiving a bid depending on your school and the greek system and number of slots to fill, but height and hair length shouldnt be a factor (if it is, those chapters arent worth joining because that's ridiculous).
Old 06-14-2004, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

HappyGoLucky....
In my experience, being quiet can hurt your chances simply because the sisters only have a limited amount of time to get to know you during Rush. When it comes time to give out bids, the sisters will already know the out-going PNMs better than the more reserved ones. HOWEVER...simply putting a smile on your face and being prepared with some interesting questions and tidbits about yourself can help you to make a good impression without trying to be someone you are not. Sorority sisters also know that often the quiet, reserved girls make good, hard-working members. Challenge yourself to speak up a little even when your nature is telling you to climb into your shell. Believe me...I know what it is like!!!!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 06-14-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Erica is totally correct in what she says. I suggest practicing talking to people you don't know over the summer as well, even if it's the check out person at the supermarket or the person behind the desk at the library. I am a very shy and quiet person, but I've found when I'm more in the habit of talking to people I don't know, I do much better. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
I was wondering about how to get letters of recommendation. I looked through some of the posts about rush to try to find something, but there are so many! So, I apologize if this has already been answered, but how would I go about getting them. I have friends who are current members at other schools who will write them for me, but no alumni members. No one in my family has ever gone greek, and I don't think I know anyone in my community who is an alumni of a greek organization. Someone posted a reply about going to the national panhellenic website, but I did not see any listings around where I lived for alumni.

Also, is it "ok" to ask people you do not know for a rec? I would feel a little weird asking someone who didn't know me to write such a letter. Then again, if I had to depend on only the people I know I wouldn't have any of these letters of reccomendation. I'm sure there are girls who are in my exact situation, so how would they go about getting these letters?

Any help would definitely be great and I really appreciate it!
I don't think anyone has answer this, so in case you don't have your answer yet I'll give a brief answer.

First, if you need help with recs check out the forum entitled "recommendations". A ton of GC alums (including myself) have volunteered to help write recs for those needing them. I think it's ok to have someone write you a rec that you don't know well, but if you go that route I would suggest talking with the alum for a short bit and filling her in on your goals and history. That way she can get to know you better and will be able to write a more accurate rec.

Some schools don't require a rec, but they don't hurt you (if anything they would help). Just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for that reply! I looked around and saw some of the forums and they have been helpful. Our campus does not really do letters of rec, some of the girls told me it was a good idea and some of my other friends said that they only use letters from alumni if you are a legacy.
This might seem like a silly question (I hope not!), but since it varies so much do you think it would be a bad idea for me to get the letters of rec for the sororities that said it was a good idea and just not worry about the other ones who only do it for legacies? I just don't want it to seem like I am favoring one group more than the other, because I like them all and have really good friends in over half od the sororities.
It is just hard because my friends all want me to choose theirs and I don't want anyone to have hurt feelings!! (They are pressuring or dirty rushing, but I know they hope I go to their group).
Old 06-17-2004, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
Thanks for that reply! I looked around and saw some of the forums and they have been helpful. Our campus does not really do letters of rec, some of the girls told me it was a good idea and some of my other friends said that they only use letters from alumni if you are a legacy.
This might seem like a silly question (I hope not!), but since it varies so much do you think it would be a bad idea for me to get the letters of rec for the sororities that said it was a good idea and just not worry about the other ones who only do it for legacies? I just don't want it to seem like I am favoring one group more than the other, because I like them all and have really good friends in over half od the sororities.
It is just hard because my friends all want me to choose theirs and I don't want anyone to have hurt feelings!! (They are pressuring or dirty rushing, but I know they hope I go to their group).
Well, it's really up to you. Like I've said, letters of rec can only help you. If you don't want to show favorites than do recs for all organizations. Who knows. Maybe you'll go through and fall in love with a house that you didn't get a rec for. That's what happened to me. (Although in the end it all still worked out just fine. ) By turning in a rec you're telling the girls that an alum of their org supports you, and it's telling the girls that you're a person of good character, etc. I always feel that having a good rec helps you stand out from the recruitment masses. I know at Butler we had a TON of girls going through, and it's hard sometimes to remember each and every girl that goes through.

Also, try not to let your friends talk you into anything. (Although I'm sure that they're not!)

Good luck!
Erin

PS. Remember, there are NO silly questions.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I second that, recs can only help you and I would encourage you to get them for as many houses as you can. Even if they aren't important on your campus per se, they can help get your name out. And don't be afraid to ask someone you don't know well for a rec, I know many people who wrote ones for me that probably couldn't pick me out of a crowd, but I had one for all 18 houses by the time I started rush.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My vote is to get recs for as many of the GLOs as possible. Don't worry about "playing favorites" because each GLO will know only that a rec was sent to their chapter, not which GLOs you secured recs for. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

This is really LONG!! I apologize!! Blame it on reading all these GC posts and getting excited!

I know how much people want to hear rush stories (I love reading them also!), but since I cannot tell mine until after it happens, I thought I would give you a little background on me and why I want to rush! You all have been so wonderful sharing your stories and advice that it is only fair for me to share!
I really wanted to rush my freshmen year. I went to the informational meetings about rush and filled out my application. However, at the last minute, the 5 girls I had become the closest to during the first weeks of college (one of whom I have been best friends with for YEARS!) decided it was not for them. I felt so uncomfortable going alone that I didn't sign up. I had friends who were already members, but I (knowing nothing about how rush worked) was a little insecure about going through myself. I hadn't met any other girls who were going through at the time either so I decided not to do it. The day of first rounds was the last day to turn in the form and I decided I was going to go through it anyway, but all of my friends who were already members were with their sororities getting ready, and NONE of the girls in my hall were rushing. I had no idea who my Pi Chi was or where to turn in the form so I decided it was a sign.
It turned out to be a blessing because I ended up changing my major during the semester and it was a pretty hard decision for me. Freshmen year, in general, was rough class-wise. I was so involved in high school (president of 2 org's, student gov't, clubs, theatre, choir, sports, I did EVERYTHING!) and I was so worn out when I came to college. Plus I was having a huge crisis about what I wanted to do with my life and it was a heartbreaking decision that took me the whole year to find the answer. Pledging then would have been a bad idea!
Unfortunately, I had 3 bad grades that messed with my GPA. Two of those were for classes I hated (and were part of the reasons I realized those majors were just not me anymore.)My sophomore year I was determined to bring my GPA back up and to go through informal in the spring.
I replaced a bad grade (an F) with a A and I though my GPA would rise dramatically, but it wasn't changed for some reason on my transcripts until AFTER I would have gone through informal. Had I known I had the gpa to rush I would have.
Again, I think it was a sign because I had to miss a lot of school due to a death in a family and it was really hard. It was also good because I had never gotten to meet all of the groups or experienced formal rush, so I probably would not have made the best decision possible.
Throughout this whole ordeal I have met wonderful girls from many of my school's sororities, and most of my best friends are involved in sororities. It is something I have always wanted to be a part of. It's not just the social life, because I have that already, and its not just that it will help me with connections in my life. I see the awesome bond you girls have for one another, and it is something so special. All of these setbacks have just made me realize just how important and awesome sisterhood is. I see how the groups help with their various philanthropies, and how close they are and how much they are there for each other. There is SO much more I could write, but this post is getting long enough!!
So here I am, a 3rd sem. sophmore going through rush for the first time EVER! I am looking forward to it, and my friends in the groups have been giving me so much encouragement. I just knew I had to come here and get advice from you all too because I've seen how supportive you are towards one another! I promise I will give you any updates as soon as I can and let you know how things go. Whether or not it ends up bad OR good, I will probably tell you all everything! So good luck to all of you (active, rushee, and alum) preparing for recruitment!! I hope things work out for everyone
Old 06-18-2004, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
((((((neonsparkles))))))

I haven't met you, but just by reading your last post, I have a feeling that you will make a wonderful addition to any organization that you become a part of! Best of luck with your upcoming recruitment, and we'll all be here cheering you on!