GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,349
1 members and 1,348 guests
acg233

Old 01-02-2003, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's Talk Books 2K3

New Year. New Books. New Thread.

It is 2K3 and books are bountiful.

January 16, 2K3 will bring us A Taste of Reality by Kimberla Lawson Roby. . .

Book Description
Kimberla Lawson Roby returns with another moving and triumphant novel about a woman who, against all odds, battles the most blatant kind of workplace discrimination while dealing with a crumbling marriage and a trusted friend's betrayal.

On the surface, Anise seems to have it all: a successful career, a solid marriage, and good friends. But when she applies for a promotion at work, she loses out to a white colleague who isn't nearly as qualified for the job. However, the problem at work is only the beginning of Anise's troubles. After being married for four seemingly blissful years, she discovers that her husband is having an affair. And to make matters worse, her best friend at work is keeping dangerous secrets.

But Anise is no quitter. As brave as she is determined, she reaches deep inside her soul to find the strength and courage to overcome heartbreak and stay her course. Ultimately, she will discover that what is worth having is worth fighting for -- in her career and, most importantly, in her heart.

With a compelling plot and writing that captures every emotion, A Taste of Reality is a deeply poignant and unforgettable story.

I FINALLY read Zane's The Heat Seekers and Shame On It All -- both were good reads with LOL scenes and much better than Addicted with more realism.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 01-02-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I just bought:
Gonna Lay My Burdens Down - Mary Monroe
Mirrored Life - Anita Bunkley
God's Gift to Women - Michael Baisden

I'll let you know how they are.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
God's Gift to Women

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
I just bought:
Gonna Lay My Burdens Down - Mary Monroe
God's Gift to Women - Michael Baisden

I'll let you know how they are.
ladygreek,

I just finished reading God's Gift to Women. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the book when you finish.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 01-03-2003, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just bought:
I have that one as well. I still need to read it.

Okay I had my first book shopping spree of 2K3. . . here are the titles:

Journey to the Well by Vashti Murphy McKenzie -- This is for my mom.

Reaching Back by Nea Anna Simone
A Family Reunion by Brenda Jackson
A Man Most Worthy -- Marcus Major
Everything In Its Place -- Evelyn Palfrey
Ladies in Waiting -- Linda Hudson-Smith
Baby Mama Drama -- Carl Weber
A Little Piece of Sky -- Nicole Bailey Williams
Some Sunday -- Margaret Johnson Hodge
A Long Way From Home -- Connie Briscoe (read it already; good read; saw it for $2 had to have it)
Born in Sin -- Evelyn Coleman
The Rest of Our Lives -- Dawn Donnelly Craig
Mama's Girls by Janette McCarthy Louard
Rosewood by Michael D'Orso
Leaving Atlanta -- Tayari Jones
The Broke Diaries -- Angela Nissell

So as you can see, I am happier than a pig in slop.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am NOW officially on BOOK BUYING punishment.

I just came from WAL MART where they have A TASTE of REALITY by Soror Kimberla for $17.96.

So many books to read, where do I begin?
Old 01-03-2003, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I just finished Shame On It All and I was disappointed! I liked Addicted much better.

I recently forced myself to finish the WORST book I've ever picked up in my life. Has anybody read Sparkledoll: Always Into Something? This was a HOT MESS. Typographical and grammatical errors all over the place. Ugh.

The best thing I've read recently was I Know Who Holds Tomorrow by Francis Ray. One of those books where you have to stay up all night to find out what happens. I'm really looking forward to PG County by Connie Briscoe, but I'ma have to wait for the paperback.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetestDiva
I just finished Shame On It All and I was disappointed! I liked Addicted much better.

I recently forced myself to finish the WORST book I've ever picked up in my life. Has anybody read Sparkledoll: Always Into Something? This was a HOT MESS. Typographical and grammatical errors all over the place. Ugh.

The best thing I've read recently was I Know Who Holds Tomorrow by Francis Ray. One of those books where you have to stay up all night to find out what happens. I'm really looking forward to PG County by Connie Briscoe, but I'ma have to wait for the paperback.
@ Shame on It All. I liked it because it was more realistic. Didn't you just CTFU @ the midgets though and the weave salon? LMAO

I agree about I Know Who Holds Tomorrow -- EXCELLENT READ. I doubt I could have done what Madison did.

PG County is an excellent read. Check it out at the local library or go to a bookstore and sit there and read it. <-------- Never done that but I know several folks who have.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

I have that one as well. I still need to read it.

Okay I had my first book shopping spree of 2K3. . . here are the titles:

Journey to the Well by Vashti Murphy McKenzie -- This is for my mom.

Reaching Back by Nea Anna Simone
A Family Reunion by Brenda Jackson
A Man Most Worthy -- Marcus Major
Everything In Its Place -- Evelyn Palfrey
Ladies in Waiting -- Linda Hudson-Smith
Baby Mama Drama -- Carl Weber
A Little Piece of Sky -- Nicole Bailey Williams
Some Sunday -- Margaret Johnson Hodge
A Long Way From Home -- Connie Briscoe (read it already; good read; saw it for $2 had to have it)
Born in Sin -- Evelyn Coleman
The Rest of Our Lives -- Dawn Donnelly Craig
Mama's Girls by Janette McCarthy Louard
Rosewood by Michael D'Orso
Leaving Atlanta -- Tayari Jones
The Broke Diaries -- Angela Nissell

So as you can see, I am happier than a pig in slop.
Dang! And I thought I bought a lot of books. What do you have--a spare bedroom that you turned into a library?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Dang! And I thought I bought a lot of books. What do you have--a spare bedroom that you turned into a library?

**blushing** My computer room is filled with books. Now I just need someone to come build me 2 72" inch bookshelves.

Oh I am on Chapter 4 of Mirrored Life -- good start so far.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up

CrimsonTide4, I'm one of these people who ALWAYS skims at the bookstore before buying things.

'Neways, I would like to get the new Benilde Little book (the name escapes me right now) and there's a non-fiction book called Having it All by Veronica Chambers. It's a look at black women and success.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Fatal Attraction

I just finished God's Gift to Women. It was an easy read and somewhat interesting but because it was a fatal attraction story, it became rather predictable and contrived. This is the first book I have read by Michael Baisden and I do like his writing style. Now on to Mirrored Life.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
CrimsonTide4, I'm one of these people who ALWAYS skims at the bookstore before buying things.

No I meant the people who read the ENTIRE book @ the bookstore. There is nothing wrong with skimming. I was actually referring to a person of the male persuasion.

'Neways, I would like to get the new Benilde Little book (the name escapes me right now) and there's a non-fiction book called Having it All by Veronica Chambers. It's a look at black women and success.
I saw Benilde Little's newest one when I was hanging with Ideal08 @ the bookstore.

Reminiscent of the New Year's Eve scene in Waiting to Exhale, Jay announces to his wife, Ina, that he is leaving. His departure forces her to acknowledge that she has become the woman she thought was safe rather than the woman she wanted to be. Ina thinks through the choices and sacrifices she made to support her husband in his aspirations. Painfully, she accepts that in never questioning her wants, she has put everyone above her own happiness. So she seeks out her college sweetheart, David. Her desperate attempt to create good times from her past only refocuses her on the present and the choices she must make for herself and her children. The dreams of her youth are rekindled, and she is able to reclaim the vision she had for herself. Ina not only grows into the woman she needs to be for her own peace of mind but she is also able to rebuild a relationship with her husband; and in the process, the reader has enjoyed a heartfelt story. Lillian Lewis

From Publishers Weekly
In a series of interrelated essays, Chambers (Mama's Girl), explores the lives of middle- and upper-middle-class African-American women. Throughout, Chambers nicely weaves historical and literary anecdotes into her insightful narrative. While identifying this population as linchpins in the astronomical rise of a black middle class, she pursues such questions as how their "creative and indomitable spirit" translated into corporate reality while black men languish; why they no longer feel the need to choose allegiance between race and gender; what the image of Aunt Jemima declares about today's affluent African-American woman; and why they are more likely to be alone than any group of black women before them. Nonetheless, these women, Chambers says, have a strong sense of community and a renewed feeling of empowerment, which enables their transition into a predominantly white mainstream culture. Largely based on interviews of black women defying conventional perceptions, and written for those "who have crafted successful lives without role models or media coverage," the book lends a panoramic effect to such figures as former Whitney curator Thelma Golden, television host Star Jones, Barbara Bush's former press secretary Anna Perez, Anita Hill, and the growing population of African-American stay-at-home moms.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up Gracias

Thank you, CT4, bka Book Maven of GC. I think I will pick these two up w/in the next two months.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hey CT4!!!

I want to suggest a wonderful book that I just read--twice. It's called If Men Are Like Buses, Then How Can I Catch One? by Michelle McKinney Hammond. It's actually old, it came out in 2000. I just discovered it about a month ago.

She's a Christian author & I highly suggest this book for any woman that has gone thru or is going thru some M-E double S. You will see yourself & men in a whole new light.

Last edited by Mz. Sports Luva; 01-05-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Terika03 Send a message via Yahoo to Terika03
Books:)

I'm a youngin'and i looooooooove to mostly read Black Novels and i've also been working on one of my own.

The last book i've read was Leslie By Omar Tyree
I loved that story especially since i'm originally from louisiana.
It's very interesting.