GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 2,513
0 members and 2,513 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2001, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Alum Initiation for Fraternities?

Do any fraternities have alum initiation? My wife, sister, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law are all Greek. They are all very involved, and I think it might be fun to do now that I have more time.

I was very focused on getting to medical school when I was an undergrad, and never got into Greek life (except as an attendee at my now-wife's sorority functions). Now that I am through med. school and working my way though my residency, I think I might have missed out.

Are there any Greek alum initiate options for a 28-year old Doc?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

[This message has been edited by AggieDoc (edited August 18, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2001, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Aggie Doc: I think it's great that you're interested in Greek life. I don't know anything about fraternity policies on alum initiation, but hope that there are some out there for ya!

Good luck!

Angel

"No matter the letter, we're all Greek together."
Old 08-21-2001, 09:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieDoc:
Do any fraternities have alum initiation?
Are there any Greek alum initiate options for a 28-year old Doc?
AggieDoc:
There are 2 parts to answer your question, so here goes...
I wasn's sure whether you are interested in a professional fraternity or a social one.
Are you interested in a "professional" fraternity (like a medical fraternity) or a more general, social one?

If you're looking specifically for a medical fraternity, here is a great website: http://www.profraternity.org/
What I would suggest you do is find one that is of interest to you, email the headquarters and explain your situation.
Ask them whether they will initiate "alumni men" or "non-collegiate" men?
And see what they say.....
(you might want to impress upon them that you have graduated from university already, as this might impress them more, than if you had dropped out of university or something)

Here are 2 medical fraterities that I found for you (and surely there are others out there, too!) http://www.phide.org/ http://www.cris.com/~Jjack/prs.shtml

If you're interested in a social fraternity (i.e. a "NIC" one), then go here: http://www.nicindy.org/
It would be best to pursue a fraternity which has an active alumni chapter near you, and also, if you have a male friend, relative, neighbor, etc. (and they happen to be in a fraternity), who could sponsor you for membership in their fraternity, this will help your case. Most likely, you *will* down the road have to have a fraternity member "sponsor" you as a potential member...I don't think you can just show up and say "I want to be a member"...they'll want to get to know you first before taking the plunge.

There are a TON of NIC fraternities, The big long list of fraternities is found here: http://www.nicindy.org/member_frat.htm but in the interests of practicality, it would be best to check into *what group* has a presence in your city. How to find out? Easy....What universities are in your vicinity? Go to those schools' websites and see which men's fraternities have a chapter at your nearby colleges....chances are, if they have a collegiate chapter, then there are alumni men around the vicinity as well. Another good route to take (and this would demonstrate your commitment to this venture) is to get involved with the men's collegiate chapter and support them with your efforts. This will impress the members and help you to get to know each other and set you on your way to membership (hopefully )

Hope that this helps....

[This message has been edited by CutiePie2000 (edited August 21, 2001).]

Old 08-21-2001, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our consultants had an older brother that is a Lambda Chi. Because of this, their dad worked with the fraternity a lot, and he was initiated. At a leadership conference, I met a man that started doing seminars for Lambda Chi, and he did so many, and worked so hard for the fraternity, he was initiated. One of my profs was initiated into Pike after he became their faculty advisor. So find a fraternity that you would like to work with, be it because of their ideals, philanthropy, or just because you like the guys in the active chapter, and work with them.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

While I am having a hard typing as of surgery, you cannot just say you want to get in the greek way.
If you are really that intrested, look at the nat. and the local chapters and decide in which one you are interested in. the only way you can becomr a member of lxa is to show that you want to be a member is to work by and for the chapter. only then can you be voted on to be a Brother of of my fraternity because you feel you want to be and because of your actions, not because you just want to be. you must earn what you get.
good luck and if you care enuff i hope you can become my brothrt.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 08-22-2001, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks to all the people who have responded so far. I appreciate all of the information you've provided.

Andrew

Old 08-24-2001, 11:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
CutiePie, you rock. All of your messages on alumni initiation have been so helpful! Thank you!! I am interested in alumni initiation and I have picked out three groups I would like to pursue.
valkyrie, I emailed you!
CP2000
Old 08-25-2001, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw in other threads that Pi Kappa Phi and Pi Kappa Alpha do alum initiations for men who contribute significantly to their organizations.

I don't know about any others, but I bet there are more. Anyone...?

Jen
Old 08-25-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

To my knowledge, my fraternity, Beta Theta Pi doesnt intiate alums.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2001, 09:30 AM

Lightbulb No, Valkyrie, I didn't get an email...

But that's all right...
basically, I just re-iterated what I stated in my posts regarding alumnae initiation.
Old 09-16-2001, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Aggiedoc, have not heard from you for a while! How is it going and are you still interested?
You have a lot of backing on this site so hope you are still of interest!
Please let us know!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-20-2001, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Well Anggidoc, it seems you have given up the ghost! Does this mean that you just wanted to add something onto your wall or serious!
I have e-m mailed you and gotten NO response.

If it is to much time to take then do not even think about it!

You can get cauget up in to it and enjoy, unless it is jus another thing to say I belong to!!!

Self importance is very much underwhelming!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-21-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow I've talked to AggieDoc...

Before we come down on him...

I kind of stopped checking the boards for a while after GC went down early last week. I thought it might have been gone for good. One of my friends actually e-mailed me to let me know it was back up.

Anyway, I've actually talked to Andrew a couple of times via e-mail about alum initiation (I recently met an A-Phi alum whose husband was alum initiated). He (Andrew) was investigating possibilities at GaTech and Emory (and maybe one other, Georgia State, maybe?). He told me that he had contacted the nationals of a couple of fraternities and asked them about their AI programs and what steps he could take to get involved. I am not sure what else beyond that. From what I could tell in his e-mails, I thought he seemed pretty sincere. He seemed nice.

Maybe I'll e-mail him again and see what he's up to (and let him know GC is back up again--maybe he doesn't know?).

Just my thoughts...

Jen
Old 09-22-2001, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Jen, thanks for the info on Andrew!!!

Is great to hear he is still on intrest. If he does not know GC is back up I hope he finds out and keeps us updated on his quest!

Always good to get a new Brother or Sister in the Greek Community!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-25-2001, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Andrew update...

Hey Tom (and others who might be interested),

I talked to Andrew via e-mail. He just got back from accompanying a team of plastic surgeons to Honduras. He said each year a group of local p. surgeons go down there to provide surgical correction of (mainly) cleft palettes and other genetic deformations. He said he and a couple of other residents got to go along and assist. It was supposed to be a short excursion, but he said they had some trouble getting back home after the recent events.

He said he hasn't had a chance to pursue AI recently (beyond what he's done so far) but he's still very much interested. He's going to try to check the boards this weekend.

There's the latest!

Jen