GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,299
1 members and 1,298 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 08-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Talking YESSS! I think we're getting nationals!!!

Yesss! For those who have followed the 2-year thread about those awful, hazing locals at the college where I teach--the president just stopped a professor who's NPHC and told her he wants to bring in nationals! We are so stoked!

The kids in the groups are great, they just think they have to act like high school sororities might and they don't know any better. I don't know whether nationals will be brought in to colonize independently of the locals or they'll absorb the locals.

There's work to be done!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats, good luck, and yayyyyy!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Has there been any talk about what groups are going to come to campus? Or has it not gotten that far yet? Keep us updated!!
Old 08-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

No idea yet--I just contacted NPC and the other lady contacted NPHC and her group.

I do think that if nationals are brought in independently of the locals, the locals will die soon. Women just aren't going to put up with those groups' crap if they can be treated with respect. The locals were given several chances to reform but they kept hazing openly and maybe the president has just had it. I sure have. Several of the professors just knew we'd end up on the Atlanta news being blasted by one of the investigative reporters if the hazing continued.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the traditional Southern sororities would have the best shot due to area alum support.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
YAY! If I had energy I'd be doing the Happy Dance. Oh well, I'm Happy Dancing in spirit, anyway.

It's about freaking time.

You go NPC. Get their butts onto campus ASAP.

Any idea for which sororities there is lots of alumnae support in the area?

These kids need all the TLC they can get.

Is this just NPC or NIC too?

I'm almost starting to sound like Earp here.

Oooh, shiny.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Go National GLOs!!!

carnation,
Congratulations, I love to hear about national GLOs expanding! I really do believe they add so much to campus life.
I was advising for my chapter on a small campus a few years ago and I witnessed 60 year old locals die because they refused to stop hazing. They had all sorts of reasons other than their own actions that they blamed for their dwindling numbers. One popular theory of theirs was that women were joining NPC orgs due to the "money" that NPC orgs were pouring into our chapters! This, of course, was far from the truth. (It'd be nice, but NPC orgs do not usually hand out diamond rings and cars on Bid Day). They absolutely refused to be honest about their own actions and how absolutely crazy and cruel they were. Thank goodness women just refused to put up with it and left.
It's really not very panhellenic of me, but it used to make me crazy that we had formal rush with them. It would make my skin crawl as the Rho Chis would explain to the pnms how sororities do not support hazing, that it is, in fact, illegal. I knew this was true for our NPC orgs but not for the locals. Our only recourse was to develop a "what is hazing?" program for the pnms which gave them examples of hazing and numbers to call if any such situation arose.

At any rate, I relate somewhat to your experience, but I cannot imagine having to witness it every day at my place of work, that would seriously make me batty!
Good luck with your quest for Nationals!
Oh, and if you don't mind, may I ask a question? I'm from the Northeast, went to school here, live here, advised here. What sororities do you consider "traditional Southern sororities?" I've seen you use that phrase before, and it led me to wonder which organizations you are talking about. I just wondered because many of my close sisters are actually Southern women and I am famous for making them regale me with stories of their hometowns and their southern culture. I would drive them crazy but I couldn't get enough of it! Some people dream of spending a year in Provence, I dream of spending a year in the American South. (Maybe I've seen "Steel Magnolias" and "Shag, The Movie" a few too many times?)
violets
Old 08-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Traditional Southern would be like Phi Mu (there was briefly a chapter here about 90 years ago),Chi O, ADPi, KD, Zeta...the sororities that started and maintain several chapters in the South .

One GCer told me that she has a friend in the medium-sized group and they'd like to aim at Phi Mu. There are many local alums to that and Zeta. But who knows which national would actually want to colonize?

Some groups are just not getting the message about how unacceptable hazing is. OohTeenyWahine and I have both witnessed the awful hazing at the U of Hawaii and believe me, there are far fewer groups there now than when I was there. It's a shame because they had some incredible, longtime ethnic traditions.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

YES<> YES! This will help the Locals so much!

If this is what I think it is, I sent e-m to LXA and suggest this school for a look in to as some one that fianally wants to go National!

Keep me updated PLEASE!!!!!!!! PM Me and send more INFO so I a can pass it along to HDQ!

luv Ya!

your KS Bud!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-27-2002, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Carnation, what a relief! I'm glad the president finally stepped in and demanded action. It will be interesting to see how this situation unfolds!

A lot of people from my school are from Carnation's general area, so when the greeks graduate and return home there is bound to be no shortage of alumni to support.

This is good to hear. Keep us updated, Carnation!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:43 PM

That's awesome news! Hope the whole colonization process goes smoothly.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to try to post this again. For some reason the other one didn't take.

Congratulations and good luck to the school. It will be very beneficial that the groups will be starting at the same time or thereabouts. It's usually very difficult for a newbie chapter to compete with the oldies for the first few years. But sometimes, the newbies grow larger than the oldies, lol.

I wish they would colonize an AGD chapter! I'd love to help in whatever way I could.

What about Pi Phi?
Old 08-27-2002, 08:45 PM

Trying to post for the 3rd time!

Congrats Carnation, what wonderful news for your campus. Hopefully both NPC and NHPC are willing and eager to expand there. From what you've shared with us it sounds like the students would benefit as would the school.

Please keep us posted!
Fraternally,
Christin
Old 08-27-2002, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Congrats to your school Carnation! What school is it again?

I too hope AGD is in the running, we seem to be very strong here in Georgia!!

What ever the groups I am glad to hear of somemore expansion!!!
Old 08-27-2002, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, Carnation -- is this not the same college where you've been trying to get NPC for 20 years? I recall a couple of phone calls back then and an Alpha Gam consultant visiting you.... <g> Persistence pays off?!

AG love and mine!

N
Old 08-28-2002, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Not 20 years, 2 years!

I am hoping for a real mean national group who will whop 'em upside of the head if they dare pour syrup and flour and OJ on their pledges' heads again--or if they make them march through stores, singing and wearing weird green outfits--or if they force them to drill in the cold at 6 AM or any of that crap they've been pulling!

All comers are welcome!