GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,080
0 members and 1,080 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2002, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

New sorority at 'Bama

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I thought you all might find it interesting:

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v...d?in_archive=1

Melody Twilley is starting a multicultural sorority.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Go For It!

I read the article and I think it's great that this young lady wants to start something new and different. And if she has 45 women who share the same sentiment, they should go for it. MCGO's have been successful at every other university, why not at UA?

I applaud Ms. Twilley for what she's doing. She gets all my support!!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-02-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I hope the new multicultural group works out. It's always nice to have a new Greek group on campus, regardless of what "kind" of group it is. Local or national, service or social, it really doesn't matter as long as the members represent Greek Life in a good way.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
While I can appreciate their goal, I am somewhat irked that the new group is stated to be "Christian based". I mean, they are only replacing one form of bigotry with another, know what I mean?

If the state goal is inclusion, this aspect of the new group is a slap in the face to any non-Christian woman that thought to join the new group.

Barbara

Edited to add: There was a second article posted about this on the Fraternal News board.

I just reread the article and, at first glance, it appears that the Christian-based group that is being talked about is the new MC sorority being formed. On closer inspection, it appears that this Christian-based group and the new group are two different entities.

My apologies, all.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 04-02-2002 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

If Twilley's university have the racial problems that they claim, it's hard for me to see a multi-cultural sorority surviving on that campus.

My campus is pretty integrated. However, Lambda Psi Delta (an MCS), failed awfully.

Last edited by Dionysus; 04-02-2002 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Barbara,

Where did you read that? Did I miss something in the article someplace? If that's the case, then that's a problem.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-02-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't Melody Twilley the girl who rushed last year and claimed she was cut for racial reasons? That name is REALLY familiar.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax
While I can appreciate their goal, I am somewhat irked that the new group is stated to be "Christian based". I mean, they are only replacing one form of bigotry with another, know what I mean?

If the state goal is inclusion, this aspect of the new group is a slap in the face to any non-Christian woman that thought to join the new group.

Barbara
From my understanding, BGLO's (I am not sure about WGLO's therefore I won't comment on them) are founded upon and grounded with Christian principles, although a prospective members may not(whether Christian or not). Maybe this is the same approach the new MCGLO @ 'Bama is trying to for.

I have ran across sororities and fraternities for gay/lesbians students as well. Would you consider these to be another form of bigotry as well?
Old 04-02-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl
Isn't Melody Twilley the girl who rushed last year and claimed she was cut for racial reasons? That name is REALLY familiar.
Yes.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

From my understanding, BGLO's (I am not sure about WGLO's therefore I won't comment on them) are founded upon and grounded with Christian principles, although a prospective members may not(whether Christian or not). Maybe this is the same approach the new MCGLO @ 'Bama is trying to for.

I have ran across sororities and fraternities for gay/lesbians students as well. Would you consider these to be another form of bigotry as well?
I think what Barbara was saying is that a "multicultural sorority" is an organization that is suppose to be for all women, regardless of race or religion. If this multicultural sorority that Twilley is starting at Alabama is Christian-based, then it does sound a little hypocritical. (I honestly don't know if it's been touted as a Christian-based group or not.) I would think that a truly multicultural organization would not be based on any one religion.

As for the gay/lesbian groups, I think there is a big difference between gay/lesbian groups and multicultural groups. Although gay/lesbian groups' main focus is to provide a comfortable environment for gays and lesbians, they do allow heterosexual people committed to supporting gay/lesbian interests to join.

Since a multicultural organization's main purpose is to make people of all cultural backgrounds feel comfortable and welcome -- not just one specific group of people with one specific type of background -- then it seems strange that it would be founded primarily on one specific type of religion. Therefore, I can see where Barbara would find "Christian-based, multicultural sorority" to be a rather contradictory term.

Last edited by dzrose93; 04-02-2002 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax

Barbara
I read the article and it didn't say anything about the chica wanting to form a Christian MCGLO unless there was another article that I did not read.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Are they any members of MCGLO's that can shed some light on this for me? Were multicultural orgs created for for the need to have a sorority that PRIMARILY included all races(not just one or two of a particular race per chapter, but as a whole) or all races and religions? Eirene_DGP what is your national HQ homepage so that I can research this some more.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Are they any members of MCGLO's that can shed some light on this for me? Were multicultural orgs created for for the need to have a sorority that PRIMARILY included all races(not just one or two of a particular race per chapter, but as a whole) or all races and religions? Eirene_DGP what is your national HQ homepage so that I can research this some more.
I used to be a Lambda Psi Delta (lily) before the other two. As I said it failed. Our main focus was to recruit girls of all races and nationalities. Not necessarily religion, but it was a plus.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Unhappy Whoops..I may have messed up..

There was a second article posted about this on the Fraternal News board.

I just reread the article and, at first glance, it appears that the Christian-based group that is being talked about is the new MC sorority being formed. On closer inspection, it appears that this Christian-based group and the new group are two different entities.

My apologies, all.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Dionysus. When I hear the term"multicultural" organizations, I am thinking in term of culture (African, English, Spanish, Asian, etc.) only, and not necessarilly religion, because it is not a "culture" persay, but rather a belief and lifestyle.