GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,326
3 members and 2,323 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2000, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Post A rose by any other name....

I imagine this isn't a problem for organizations that have been well established for ages. Have you ever run into another GLO that shares your letters, but definitely isn't your organization? I'm not asking about experiences with perps. Have you ever run into another organization that is genuinely using (or has used) your letters, and had no idea that you existed? It could also go the other way around: did you ever find out that the letters of your org. were already in use by another organization?

For example: doing a random web search to find Alpha Sigma Kappa listings, I found the following interesting tidbits:

(1) There is an academic honor society at Seattle Pacific University called Alpha Sigma Kappa. On digging a bit further, I found that the honorary is actually called Alpha Kappa Sigma (false alarm!)

(2) Barb, you might find this one interesting: the Delta Omicron Chapter of ZTA (Lenoir Rhyne, 1962) began as a local (I assume) called Alpha Sigma Kappa Sorority.

Any body else run into coincidental naming like this?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2000, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Equeen- I have never run into any other organization with our name, and if I did, I would want them to change it! That's one of the reasons we (and the other members of the NPHC) are incorporated.

ZetaAce
Old 07-25-2000, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Red face

Although I am not a Delta, I do know that there were TWO organizations called Delta Sigma Theta.

One was a professional pharmacy society founded in 1915 at the College of Brooklyn?
Now I heard that the Delta sorority sued the pharmacy society for illegal usage of the name, but I do not know, but am curious of what the outcome was.

The other was a midwestern Christian fraternity founded 1925 by a merger between Phi Tau Theta Fraternity and Sigma Epsilon Theta Fraternity. The merger became official in 1941 and the name became Delta Sigma Theta until 1949 when the Delta sorority threatened lawsuit for illegal usage of their name (see pg 105 or 125 of "In Search of Sisterhood" for proof). Hence the name was changed to Sigma Theta Epsilon in 1949-present.

Thought you might like to know
Old 07-25-2000, 03:04 PM
maggswhat

Red face

at SUNY Oneonta there are a group of girls who call themselves Sigma Phi Delta. that is named after a national engineering fraternity!! I have been in a sorority there for 2 1/2 years and these girls just made up their name b/c they lost a charter for a national sorority b/c of hazing! this is not even recognized by the school, but they still have girls that pledge under false pretense!
Old 07-25-2000, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a small, regional sorority, Chi Delta Theta, with the same name as an "internet fraternity", read fetish website with paddling for dirty old men.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.

[This message has been edited by Corbin Dallas (edited July 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Corbin Dallas (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey equeen...

It's funny that you use that title..."a rose by any other name"...because I just noticed out that we (your sorority and my own) have the same officer Sorority flower and you all even share one of our colors...

Odd though, that I'm sure that the meanings behind your symbols and ours are totally different! That's really what makes organzations unique: not so much the symbols, but their meanings respective to the particular organization, eh?

Best, shela
Old 07-25-2000, 10:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Exclamation

I am a member of NPC Delta Phi Epsilon (our colours our purple and gold) and there is a foreign service fraternity by the name of Delta Phi Epsilon (whose colours are black and gold) .
Old 07-25-2000, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I had to put my $19.13 in this....

Rain Main, you are right about the first case scenario. Being that I am from Brooklyn and my friend's father is/was a member of this pharmacy society, I know exactly what you are talking about. The second case I can not speak on because I am unaware of it.

BTW, the school's name is Brooklyn College and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, INNNCORPORATED is OFFICIALLY our name, and OUR NAME ONLY!!!!!

JAUNARY 13, 1913-Founding Date
FEBRUARY 18, 1930-Date of Incorporation

"THEE BKLYNDELTA"
1913% LEGIT AND LOVIN' IT

[This message has been edited by bklyndelta (edited July 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bklyndelta (edited July 26, 2000).]
Old 07-26-2000, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bklyndelta:
I had to put my $19.13 in this....

Rain Main, you are right about the first case scenario. Being that I am from Brooklyn and my friend's father is/was a member of this pharmacy society, I know exactly what you are talking about. The second case I can not speak on because I am unaware of it.

BTW, the school's name is Brooklyn College and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, INNNCORPORATED (1930) is OFFICIALLY our name, and OUR NAME ONLY!!!!!

"THEE BKLYNDELTA"

Excuse me for asking,
but do I get it right that the SPhiD sorority was founded later (1930) than the pharmaceutical society? If so, how could the sorority file a lawsuit? I mean, This local society was first to use the name or weren't they?
Old 07-26-2000, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine goes to a small private christian college. VERY SMALL, maybe 300 students. They have 'social clubs' not sororities and faternities. These 'social clubs' are separate in gender, however, they do have a counter part. For instance, one group of girls always does their activities with a specific group of guys. These 'social clubs' also have greek letter names. They don't really follow any type of greek sturcture as far as rituals go, they resembles greek life in a way because I think they try to structure their clubs as to how they 'think' greek life is, without making their school officials mad. They have mascots, and they have a type of 'rush' process (which I was allowed to attend), they have pledge classes, but their pledging period only lasts a week. The reason they are 'social clubs' is because the school will not allow them to have sororities or fraternities, besides, at a school that small, I doubt they could get one started. But to make a long story short, one of the male 'social clubs' is called Alpha Sigma Tau, which I know is a national sorority because they were on my campus. At my friend's school, they are just called alpha's, but that is supposedly their full name. They don't have anything to do with the national sorority, they didn't even know that the sorority existed (I happened to ask one of the guys). The had decided to pick names one day, and they just 'came up' with Alpha Sigma Tau. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

------------------
Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

--Lao Tzu
Old 07-26-2000, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Cool

Wow, I had no idea that I'd get this kind of response! Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Also I should clarify, as far as I know of, my sorority is the only group at present (GLO or honorary) to have the name Alpha Sigma Kappa. Thanks for your concern, those of you who've emailed, urging to us to trademark, copyright, and/or incorporate the organization's name...already taken care of!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelacious:
Hey equeen...

It's funny that you use that title..."a rose by any other name"...because I just noticed out that we (your sorority and my own) have the same officer Sorority flower and you all even share one of our colors...

Interesting, isn't it! Actually the white rose is for all sisters, not just officers...and yah, I noticed the similarities of symbols/color between A.S.K. and Zeta when I first pledged A.S.K...had quite a chuckle over the coincidence!

Quote:
Odd though, that I'm sure that the meanings behind your symbols and ours are totally different! That's really what makes organzations unique: not so much the symbols, but their meanings respective to the particular organization, eh?

Best, shela
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally posted by localsororities:
Also lots of local groups have the same name as other locals, and never know it. Some know, but it doesn't really matter to them.
locals, I think it's cool that KZPi did research on "Zeta Pi" before settling on it for sure...I'm wondering, especially with respect to the locals you mentioned above, if this "name-sharing" becomes a problem, should they ever decide to expand to other campuses.

matthewg, I would guess that even if the one organization (pharmacy) awas founded first, if the sorority filed for the name first, then they own the rights to it. bklyndelta
and other Deltas, was this the case for Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., Please clarify?

Definitely a reason to incorporate or at least trademark the name!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited July 26, 2000).]
Old 07-26-2000, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

matthewg:

Just to let you know 1930 was the YEAR OF INCORPORATION, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was FOUNDED ON JAUNARY 13, 1913. Therefore, they were not FIRST, WE WERE!!!!!

I apologize for the BOLD STATEMENT, but this has been an ongoing issue that needs and warrants clarification!

"THHE BKLYNDELTA"

P.S. I'm going to edit my previous post so that others will not get the wrong impression!!!!

Old 07-26-2000, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Wink

let it be told by my neo!!

Epsilon Tau Always representing!
Old 07-26-2000, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, shela made a typo...not the "officer" flower, but it is our "offical" flower as well .

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
[B]Wow, I had no idea that I'd get this kind of response! Thanks for sharing, everyone.
/B]
Old 07-27-2000, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

matthewg,

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. holds two records of incorporation. First, Alpha Chapter of DST was incorporated on February 18, 1913. Second, Grand Chapter of DST was incorporated on January 20, 1930. As DST became more complex as an organization, it was decided to incorporate the organization again to meet the growing needs of the sisterhood. So actually in 1913 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. obtained all rights and privileges granted to an incorporated entity, which includes the exclusive use of the name Delta Sigma Theta.

My Soror Bklyndelta is correct we were and are the first to use the name.

Peace and Love,
Ms Public Service
2AG86SP

[This message has been edited by Ms Public Service (edited July 27, 2000).]