GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,770
Threads: 115,526
Welcome to our newest member, bgrgorasshulzey
» Online Users: 1,377
0 members and 1,377 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
OH. SHUT. UP!!!!!!! OMG-- I have to agree with thetalady- this is waaaay better than the mom falling out of the tree!!!!! and I am actually more mortified for the poor daughter than I am the mother....
Most definitely. Poor little lamb. That mom must be living through her daughter.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
OMG that is hilarious!!! I think this beats the mom falling out of the tree!
Definitely. Tree Mom was just dying to know the result. Fake PNM Mom is actually going to parties with her daughter. She is raising helicopter mom to a whole new level.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
An Ole Miss Gamma Chi (Rush Counselors) reported that when she lined up her recruitment group at one house she had an "extra" PNM. When she confronted person, she said, "Excuse me but you're a mom, and you have to leave." Extra PNM said, "Oh no. I'm a PNM!" Then the Gamma Chi said, "If you're a PNM, then where is your Panhellenic Name Tag?" The sheepish mom left the line and beat a hasty retreat
Woah. Talk about being a helicopter parent!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just hoping that HeliMom wasn't in the same group as her daughter. That she at least had the "sense" to crash a different group. I wish it was a made-up story.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I'm just hoping that HeliMom wasn't in the same group as her daughter. That she at least had the "sense" to crash a different group. I wish it was a made-up story.
You have to wonder, though... if the mother tried to crash the daughter's group, did the daughter want her there? I've heard of crazier situations lately where "kids" are OK with their parents' helicopter-like actions.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

People are crazy, y'all. I wonder what the mom thought she could accomplish.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if some of these helicopter moms never went through recruitment and/or were not Greek themselves and are living vicariously through their daughters?

I loved having my mom's support during rush - but I was perfectly fine with having it over the phone from three hours away.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I would bet money that the Wannabe PNM Mom DID try to crash her daughter's group! Gotta love the idea of a mom who thought she could pass as an 18 yr old college girl
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.
Not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Indiana your 'walk around' RGs are different from your actual RG. So you'll end up with the RG that you rank with, but also have 2 RGs for 22 party, 2 RGs for 14 party, 2 RGs for 8 party, and 2 RGs for pref. And those aren't typically the same RGs...so plausible that they wouldn't know faces
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Also not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Oregon the rho gamma groups tour together on open houses and meet up to get schedules and rank. Aside from day one, the rho gammas are stationed at the chapter houses so they see the PNMs from all the groups instead of just their own. The rho gammas wouldn't necessarily know the names/faces of all the PNMs visiting the house where they are stationed. They are given a list of names to double check against the name tags of the PNMs.

What did the mother expect though? To see how recruitment is on the inside? How would that help her daughter?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?
I'll see what I can find out from the Gamma Chi, if I see her tonight.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I just keep thinking of that DISTURBING article that recently came out in WSJ (I think) about parents now accompanying their "children" on JOB INTERVIEWS and answering questions for them... Perhaps she thought she would just handle daughters rush conversations for her...

Seriously WTF.... (too both)

YES PLEASE try and find out MP... I need more laughter in my life :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
An Ole Miss Gamma Chi (Rush Counselors) reported that when she lined up her recruitment group at one house she had an "extra" PNM. When she confronted person, she said, "Excuse me but you're a mom, and you have to leave." Extra PNM said, "Oh no. I'm a PNM!" Then the Gamma Chi said, "If you're a PNM, then where is your Panhellenic Name Tag?" The sheepish mom left the line and beat a hasty retreat
Can't stop laughing picturing this playing out