GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,773
Threads: 115,526
Welcome to our newest member, acharlesmaarlyz
» Online Users: 1,331
0 members and 1,331 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I GOT MY JOB BACK!!!

I got the call this morning & I'm being rehired at my same school & grade level. Woohoo! VERY excited & very relieved.
Congratulations! I am really happy for you! Now you can sit back and enjoy your summer!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I GOT MY JOB BACK!!!

I got the call this morning & I'm being rehired at my same school & grade level. Woohoo! VERY excited & very relieved.
YAY!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that COTS is over, how do many of you feel regarding the changes in the COTS format & locations starting in 2013?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not attend, could you talk about the changes or give us a link with the changes? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll PM you since I'm not sure it's been made public yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I will miss parts of the old COTS since the only times I get to meet up with _Lisa_ & violetpretty as well as randomly bump into other GC'rs is during COTS & Convention.

Next year, Convention in Texas is a must!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ultimately, having COTS by district makes COTS accessible to more collegians. If your chapter allocates the same amount of money, more collegians get to go. Transportation is cheaper. In my district, I'm looking at no more than an 8 hour drive (unless they get cute and decide to do it in Maine---which I wouldn't mind) or a 1 hour-ish flight (ie cheap). Districts 2, 3, and 4 are more spread out, but it still beats Indy for districts 3 and 4. We could rent/borrow a (mini)van and drive, saving more money. More collegians=more impact on a chapter.

Also, there is talk of having COTS at universities instead of hotels, again, to save money. I met some Alpha Phis and Thetas at the Indy airport and they had their leadership conference at Butler.

It gives you bonding time with your district (I do love my district) and gives you a better chance to meet women in chapters nearest to you, who are more likely to have similar campus culture. Sometimes I feel like I have to have 100 5-minute conversations, when I'd rather get to know 15-20 a little deeper.

The drawbacks:
*Awards ceremonies don't seem quite as special when there will only be 1/5 of the chapters there.
*COTS/Convention are the only times I ever stay in a hotel that nice, and the food is awesome.
*I won't get to see the likes of BDE and Lisa at COTS, just Convention. (Though there were some notable absences this year, cough cough)
*Meeting only your district doesn't quite give collegians/first-time COTS goers the diversity and size of the sorority. Every first timer is always in awe.
*Being away from Indy means that fewer members will have the opportunity to see HQ without making a special trip---and all the other Greek HQs in the area!
*I don't see fundraising for the Foundation having the same results with the districts separate.

All in all, I'm excited about the change. If we want to be true to the acronym, we have to focus on the collegians and the workshops.

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-01-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree to many of your points. I will definitely be happy that more collegians will be able to attend especially if it were held here in California or maybe Nevada since the driving distance isn't too bad (Vegas afterwards anyone? )I'd love to spend more time with chapters from within my own district and form connections with them that we otherwise don't have.

However, I completely agree that awards ceremonies will lose some of the special qualities that can only be had when you're celebrating with all members of NHQ, officers & all districts. Plus, if you're giving out district awards, let's be honest. Those chapters who don't receive any awards will likely feel singled out a bit more since it may draw attention that so many chapters in District III got awards but a few didn't. It's less noticeable when every chapter is represented.

Still, I'm looking forward to it. Next year is Convention for my 3rd and then our first District COTS. It should be exciting!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just for kicks, and because I am a nerd, I found this fun tool online to calculate the geographic center of multiple locations. The geographic center of each district is:

District I: Hazleton, PA
District II: Teheran, IL
District III: Goldfield, NV
District IV: Talking Rock, GA
District V: Columbus, OH

This takes into account the cities in which we currently have a collegiate chapter. I did not count IUPUI/FAU/ASU/Mizzou, even though they should be (re)chartered and thriving by the time COTS 2013 rolls around. This does not take into account roads/mountains/forests/bodies of water---just "as the crow flies" distance.

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-07-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm all for a trip to Nevada since I can go hit up Vegas afterwards. Then again, Mike might not be too happy if I do that since he'll be at home with the baby. Lol! I'd like to think that they'd take into account that California has LOTS of chapters so maybe our first one would be in my state. I can always hope. ;-)

I'm curious as to what National officers would be present at what districts. Hmmm...
Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, that is an interesting question, about National Council at COTS. It's not like they could stagger COTS over 5 weekends and have all of them present at each district. The women on National Council are women with jobs and lives; I doubt they could to that. Maybe they'd attend whichever district they live in (none in District I, ).

I wonder if they'll always have the same, reasonably central location (ie, not in Area 51 or in the middle of a National forest), or if it'll rotate around different areas of the district. You have to balance hotel prices with a decent sized airport.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading the thread about the medallion restoration of the ZTA founders', I was curious if Sigma Kappa had done anything similar for our 5 founders. I didn't really have any idea how to start, so for some reason I googled Colby College to see if they had any information about the founders. In undergrad, my first roommate in the dorm had been one year older than me and she later went to law school at Indiana. I went to a party with her and there was a guy wearing a Colby College shirt and I asked him all kinds of questions. He said that there are landmarks: buildings, streets, etc named for the founders and most of the student body is aware that Sigma Kappa was founded there. This is the only information I found on their site related to SK:

A few short years later another landmark event occurred at the school. Mary Low, who matriculated in 1871, became the College's first female student, and Colby gained the distinction of being the first all-male New England college to become coeducational. An exceptional student, Mary Low was the Valedictorian of the Class of 1875.

That's the only info on their school site. Here's the complaint part...I am miffed about this. I guess I was hoping there would be some mention of SK on their website.

And back to my original thought, has Sigma Kappa done anything to recognize the founders in a similar manner as ZTA has?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OK...I feel slightly better. I found this link:

http://www.colby.edu/academics_cs/ac...sm/marylow.cfm
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, they definitely give her the recognition she deserves though there is no mention of Sigma Kappa whatsoever. I'm guessing it's b/c Colby is not a greek college anymore so there's no need for them to put that fact in the history and/or bios.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Who the hell came up with the term "Greek Virgin" and why the hell are all the noobs using it? It makes me cringe every time I see it.