GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,535
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, robertoslittey8
» Online Users: 2,267
0 members and 2,267 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Gamma at SCSU

Hi im a student at southern connecticut state univ and ive been looking into the greek life on the campus they have 3 sororities one national delta phi epsilon and 2 local omega zeta pi and kappa gamma. Im not sure this is the right spot for the thread but im wondering about kappa gamma they seem to be very similar to the npc sorority kappa kappa gamma (same color and badge) and they say they are looking to affiliate with kkg. . . i guess what im asking is are they like a local immitation of kkg because i kind of feel that they arent that individual and also i was wondering if any framiliar with kkg knows anything about this local sorority affiliating with kkg. . . any help on this would be really appreciated. . . . Thank you!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsugirl View Post
Hi im a student at southern connecticut state univ and ive been looking into the greek life on the campus they have 3 sororities one national delta phi epsilon and 2 local omega zeta pi and kappa gamma. Im not sure this is the right spot for the thread but im wondering about kappa gamma they seem to be very similar to the npc sorority kappa kappa gamma (same color and badge) and they say they are looking to affiliate with kkg. . . i guess what im asking is are they like a local immitation of kkg because i kind of feel that they arent that individual and also i was wondering if any framiliar with kkg knows anything about this local sorority affiliating with kkg. . . any help on this would be really appreciated. . . . Thank you!!!
According to Kappa Kappa Gamma HQ website the only active chapters of Kappa in Connecticut are at the schools listed below:

Connecticut, University of
Trinity College
Yale University

There are also no listed colonies of Kappa at SCSU.

If a group is calling itself "kappa gamma" and has the same colors/symbols/etc, then yea, I'd say they were about as real as a fake Fendi bag.

I'm not sure why or how they could be using the same badge as KKG because those are only purchased through HQ's in most all of the GLOs.

I know "they" say "imitation is the highest form of flattery".. but really.. so sad they couldn't come up with their own stuff. It might be that they want to affiliate with KKG, but haven't... even then, if I were part of their HQ, I'd be really turned off by the copy cat thing.

ETA: I just checked irishpipe's NPC/school listing and it doesn't look like Kappa ever even existed at this school, so it's not like they are a bunch of girls who used to be Kappas before the chapter closed or something.

Last edited by texas*princess; 02-23-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a picture on the SCSU TKE chapter's website of a girl wearing a pin that looks very similar to the Kappa key. http://www.southernct.edu/clubs/tke/...pastsweetheart Look at the 2003 sweetheart.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
There is a picture on the SCSU TKE chapter's website of a girl wearing a pin that looks very similar to the Kappa key. http://www.southernct.edu/clubs/tke/...pastsweetheart Look at the 2003 sweetheart.
Wow.

That is scarily similar... and lo and behold, she is "Secretary and Sgt. of Arms of Kappa Gamma."

Hmmmm

Didn't we used to have a copy cat Sigma Kappa local one time? I remember that thread made me giggle....

I guess if they really did want to copy-cat they could have a local jeweler make pins that resembled the Kappa Keys... but that's a little hard-core if you ask me
Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you the more i research greek life at scsu the more i think its a bit of a farce dphie seems really strong and legit ut apparently the other sorority omega zeta pi is known for lots of hazing and a slogan that stands for no ugly people allowed. . . as for kappa gamma are they allowed to be modeled that close to an npc i thought there were like trademarks and things like that???
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to be part of an organization whose motto is 'No Ugly People Allowed'... even in French or any other language that is kinda mean

Regarding groups who closely mimic national organiations, I am pretty sure that is unlawful. There are a couple of groups (Sigma Kappa, and Alpha Xi Delta to name a few) that have had locals using their name/symbols/etc and I'm sure the national orgs do take action against them in some form or fashion because they need to protect their name.

If for example, this Kappa Gamma group was a bunch of booze-drinking, hazing lunatics, they are giving Kappa Kappa Gamma a bad name because they are using their name/symbols/etc and may be falsly representing the national organization. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how that works, but I would imagine someone at Kappa Gamma needs a stern talkin' to
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

As you did say, go to the Un. Web Site and check out who is on campus!

I also find something wrong if you are a student and do not know about the GLOs there?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
As you did say, go to the Un. Web Site and check out who is on campus!

I also find something wrong if you are a student and do not know about the GLOs there?
There isn't anything wrong with being a student and not knowing the groups. Not everyone comes from a background to know one GLO from another.

That's why she is checking them out because she may be interested.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I kno who is on campus and i kno a decent bit about the sororities but i just wasnt sure about kappa gamma and im the kind of person who before i decide to commit to something like to make sure im well informed so i figured it throw it out on gc what my suspicions were and see if any one had any input. . . also i found their myspace which syas their like changing and are going to have new colors and symbol and bdage and everything which i guess could be good but im not sure how i feel about a sorority up and changing everything about it. . .
Old 02-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Wow.

That is scarily similar... and lo and behold, she is "Secretary and Sgt. of Arms of Kappa Gamma."

Hmmmm

Didn't we used to have a copy cat Sigma Kappa local one time? I remember that thread made me giggle....

I guess if they really did want to copy-cat they could have a local jeweler make pins that resembled the Kappa Keys... but that's a little hard-core if you ask me
Beta Epsilon/Delta Xi Omega at Eastern Washington was the copycat SK. Per their website, it looks like they've chosen new symbols to stand out.

To the OP, at this point I'd suggest that you let the KKGs handle it. I'm sure that this thread will likely alert their members to contact KKG HQ to investigate whether or not their symbols are being swiped. I'm pretty sure there are KKG HQ officials already here who lurk the boards as well.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Beta Epsilon/Delta Xi Omega at Eastern Washington was the copycat SK. Per their website, it looks like they've chosen new symbols to stand out.
Wasn't there another one? SKEPi?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Wasn't there another one? SKEPi?
I'm not sure if that actually got off the ground. I know its original name was the "Sisterhood of Mount Ida," but cristinasmile never stuck around long enough to let us know what happened. She chose SKEPi, but she got so much shit for it here, so I don't know. (My memory's not working well today)
Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to the SCSU website - while Kappa Gamma is listed in the student organizations, it is not listed under the sororities. Also, the link from the student org. site does not work. Hmmmm . . . .
Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Badge with key, blue & blue, In-ter-est-ing....

ETA: and an email with all of these links and info has been passed on to those that need to know. I'm sure there are big Kappas who will find it just as interesting as we all do.

Last edited by skylark; 02-23-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

... and hats that say "Kappa"
Closed Thread