GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,142
0 members and 1,142 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2002, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fabulous229
Exclamation Recs!

HI everyone it's me again! Thankyou to everyone who replied to my last post and PMed me, you are all too helpful. I took all of your advice and scrambled around for recs. I'm all around the states right now visiting friends and family so I can't really check to see if there are alumni in my town so I visited some the National Websites and e-mailed all the people I could find in charge of colliegate (sp?) chapters and recruitment. A few of them have already gotten back to me and given me info. All I have to do is send my resume, picture, and a brief letter to the National Headquarters and then they will in turn make sure everything gets to my school. I really hope it all works out OK!! I must have sent over 30 emails and I'm still working. If anyone has any advice it really can't hurt so feel free to just throw whatever you want out here! lol Thankyou sooo sooo much again all of you. Now I won't be totally empty-handed during rush! (or let's hope at least )

Erin
Old 07-17-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

That's awesome! Thanks for the update, you're gonna do great!
Shelly
Old 07-17-2002, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
You're doing great!!!! Way to go!! Keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:57 AM

Sounds great!

Over and above the recs you're obtaining via national offices, ask around to people you already know. Female relatives, friends of your parents, parents of your friends, teachers, people at church/synagogue, etc. Any alum of a sorority can write you a rec for that sorority. A rec will probably carry more weight if it says something like "I've known Erin for 4 years and she's a fantastic student" than if it's clearly just based off a resume and written by someone you've never met. And it can't hurt to have more than one rec.

(Please note that this is from the girl who's never seen a rec in her life (northern school) but this is what I would do in your shoes.)

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I know I keep repeating myself, so please don't get annoyed with me.
The BEST source for names of people to write recs is the Moms and/or the girls who have rushed before you. They had to get recs and most keep a list or at least remember who they were in contact with. (I have a file for anyone in our area who calls and needs it)
Know the sororities you will be meeting-Have the address of where the recs go. (Usually to seperate locations) Have a resume and pictures to give anyone who can help.
Mention to EVERYBODY you are rushing and you may get lucky and run into an alum. People really want to help, but it won't dawn on them if you don't TELL them.

Best of luck to you! Even at LSU recs received later are beneficial---as long as they are turned in prior to workshop.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:52 PM

At my school recs are important, expecially those from alums who know the PNM personally. As suggested above, ask around, you probably know more people who can give you a rec than you realize. When I started asking I had many more recs than I needed. Also, don't be shy about asking, most alums are more than happy to write a rec.

Last edited by h2oot; 07-22-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

just curious, why do the need a picture of you?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JMUduke
just curious, why do the need a picture of you?
Why not. All the houses on my campus require pics of PNMs. It's part of the package. It helps to identify PNMs when they come to the parties, to help place a name with a face when recollecting, etc. I wouldn't project anything negative into how they are used.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
my panhell office always said photos were "optional"....but 9 out of 10 girls dropped off a photo. not usually a headshot, but a good pic or something. most used their senior portraits.